The National Football League

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    at what point does this just become a farm league with so many of the starters out?
    this happens with some teams every season. Just this year COVID is taking guys out for a week.  My Eagles have used 10 different offensive line combinations in 11 games (only the 2nd team ever to have to do that) and none because of COVID. Last year the Eagles used some insane number of defensive backs in a season. It's just the way the league is these days.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    at what point does this just become a farm league with so many of the starters out?
    It's a fake season.
    Yeah this is what I am going with too. 2020 doesn't count. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited December 2020
    Haha.  It counts fine unless your team stinks and there are sour grapes 
  • MayDay10 said:
    Or you’re holding out hope for a dynasty of greatness versus one of mediocrity.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    igotid88 said:
    Tony Romo is annoying. Haven't really paid attention to his game calling before.

maybe eli could do better?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    lions: rebuilding since 1958.
    The Lions have never had a great team in my lifetime. Not once. That’s almost Impossible in the NFL with the revenue sharing.

I feel kinda bad for matthew stafford. he might be OK with a decent team around him.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    MayDay10 said:
    I do not understand...

This season has been fine though IMO (so far) and has gone far better than I expected from a logistical standpoint.

The league standings arent flukey at all.  We have had some silly things like the Broncos' QB situation and shuffling of a few games.  Overall though, the good teams are at the top and will qualify for the playoffs. The bad teams are bad for the most part.  Not much has happened that is unexpected.  Maybe the Steelers at 11-0, but their schedule has been a cake walk.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Would be curious to see what the # of injured players looks like vs. other years.  I think there is something there....damn, Niners would be fucking monsters if they fielded a more normal roster.  Still have a shot at the playoffs with the worst injury pile up I can recall seeing.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I do not understand...

This season has been fine though IMO (so far) and has gone far better than I expected from a logistical standpoint.

The league standings arent flukey at all.  We have had some silly things like the Broncos' QB situation and shuffling of a few games.  Overall though, the good teams are at the top and will qualify for the playoffs. The bad teams are bad for the most part.  Not much has happened that is unexpected.  Maybe the Steelers at 11-0, but their schedule has been a cake walk.  
    You don't think player opt outs, a drastically limited training camp, 0 pre-season games and in some cases teams having to take the field with minimal in person practices have had a negative impact on the level of competition? 

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I do not understand...

You don't think player opt outs, a drastically limited training camp, 0 pre-season games and in some cases teams having to take the field with minimal in person practices have had a negative impact on the level of competition? 

and on injuries....?
  • MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I do not understand...

and on injuries....?
    That too. 
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I do not understand...

Not really?  Did someone tell the Chiefs or Saints about all these issues?  Its a challenging season.  Always is.  Everyone hates preseason anyways and those games are pointless.  The Bills have had plenty of shit thrown their way this season.  They have had a few unlikely heroes and have overcome to be 8-3, because they are good and well run.  Same reason the Bills were shit for 20 years.  They were crappy and poorly run.  If there was a pandemic in 2008, Im sure I would try to blame the Bills' failures on some micro-issues, perhaps letting Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron off the hook for a few months.

The games have been entertaining and pretty good.  The Superbowl will count equally as much as any other season. 
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I do not understand...

Not really?  Did someone tell the Chiefs or Saints about all these issues?  Its a challenging season.  Always is.  Everyone hates preseason anyways and those games are pointless.  The Bills have had plenty of shit thrown their way this season.  They have had a few unlikely heroes and have overcome to be 8-3, because they are good and well run.  Same reason the Bills were shit for 20 years.  They were crappy and poorly run.  If there was a pandemic in 2008, Im sure I would try to blame the Bills' failures on some micro-issues, perhaps letting Russ Brandon and Dick Jauron off the hook for a few months.

The games have been entertaining and pretty good.  The Superbowl will count equally as much as any other season. 

Someone is going to win or lose (almost) every game.  The fact that the Chiefs and Saints are good again does not change any of the questions.  Perhaps the Bills are in position to win the division for the first time in what seems like forever is because Brady left.  But, could arguably the best coach in NFL history not having an opportunity to prepare his team & having 3 key starters opt out have an impact on a team he might have built to challenge for that division title?
    Heck, they did lose games by 5, 6, and 7 points....could BB's coaching and those three players have impacted those games?
    They even lost to your Bills by 3 points.  Could that have been impacted?

I think this is a funked up season, no two ways around it.
    Just like in MLB, I would celebrate a title as much as any other season....but it is for sure messed up.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I do not understand...

Someone is going to win or lose (almost) every game.  The fact that the Chiefs and Saints are good again does not change any of the questions.  Perhaps the Bills are in position to win the division for the first time in what seems like forever is because Brady left.  But, could arguably the best coach in NFL history not having an opportunity to prepare his team & having 3 key starters opt out have an impact on a team he might have built to challenge for that division title?
    Heck, they did lose games by 5, 6, and 7 points....could BB's coaching and those three players have impacted those games?
    They even lost to your Bills by 3 points.  Could that have been impacted?

I think this is a funked up season, no two ways around it.
    Just like in MLB, I would celebrate a title as much as any other season....but it is for sure messed up.
    so the pandemic has made it harder for Patriots to cheat?  
  • MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I do not understand...

I feel like if Buffalo has an outbreak in January forcing them to field a bunch of walk ons for the divisional round game & they lose, your tune might change. 
    Its an odd season...  

But the Patriots are the Patriots and they are what their record is.  Brady left and Belichick/Kraft had zero succession plan.  Zero receivers (other than old and roid-ravaged Edelman) and have drafted like dog shit for almost a decade.  It has caught up to them.  
    In the past, the Patriots have been famous for weathering key injuries through the season, finding contributors from everywhere to remain on top.  Now they lose a few players and it is a convenient excuse? 
    The Bills were knocking on the door to overtake the Patriots and would have likely surpassed them this year, even with Brady (although their previous game reeks of one Brady would have ripped their hearts out at the end as opposed to Newton fumbling).

It is challenging for everyone.  The Bills had a key space-eating cog of their defense opt out as well as their 2nd CB and it has hurt bad.  Arguably their 2nd best defensive player has been out most of the season with injury too.  They lost their secondary position group due to covid before 1 game, and the Tight end group before another.  They had to have their schedule shifted for a few weeks around because the Titans' issues (and were in limbo for a week).  They are a good team though, and have overcome a lot and have seen things like the emergence of a trash-heap acquisition of AJ Klein become a dynamo in the last month (and the AFC Defensive Player of the Week).   
  • MayDay10 said:
    Its an odd season...  

But the Patriots are the Patriots and they are what their record is.  Brady left and Belichick/Kraft had zero succession plan.  Zero receivers (other than old and roid-ravaged Edelman) and have drafted like dog shit for almost a decade.  It has caught up to them.  
    In the past, the Patriots have been famous for weathering key injuries through the season, finding contributors from everywhere to remain on top.  Now they lose a few players and it is a convenient excuse? 
    The Bills were knocking on the door to overtake the Patriots and would have likely surpassed them this year, even with Brady (although their previous game reeks of one Brady would have ripped their hearts out at the end as opposed to Newton fumbling).

It is challenging for everyone.  The Bills had a key space-eating cog of their defense opt out as well as their 2nd CB and it has hurt bad.  Arguably their 2nd best defensive player has been out most of the season with injury too.  They lost their secondary position group due to covid before 1 game, and the Tight end group before another.  They had to have their schedule shifted for a few weeks around because the Titans' issues (and were in limbo for a week).  They are a good team though, and have overcome a lot and have seen things like the emergence of a trash-heap acquisition of AJ Klein become a dynamo in the last month (and the AFC Defensive Player of the Week).   
    Yup, the BIlls are an awesome team, and would have been awesome even if the pandemic never happened. No one's disputing that. Nor am I crying about NE having taken a step back after Brady left. This is normal and completely expected, and after 20 amazing years, I'm ok with what's going on with the Pats. 

With that being said, I'll repeat my last statement: 

I feel like if Buffalo has an outbreak in January forcing them to field a bunch of walk ons for the divisional round game & they lose, your tune might change. 

edited December 2020
    I don't think my tune will change.  I don't think I will claim 'fake season' and try on social media to diminish the accomplishment of KC, New Orleans, Tennessee, or whoever will likely win the Superbowl.  (i dont believe the Bills can take KC or probably Tennessee anyways)
    Tough break? yeah. But no different than a tough call, costly injury, or weather.  Ultimately, the result of the games will forever be what the boxscore shows.

Now if the entire league has an outbreak and the Giants win the NFCE with a 6-10 record and go on to win the Superbowl.... then I will hear the case. haha.
  • MayDay10 said:
    I don't think my tune will change.  I don't think I will claim 'fake season' and try on social media to diminish the accomplishment of KC, New Orleans, Tennessee, or whoever will likely win the Superbowl.  (i dont believe the Bills can take KC or probably Tennessee anyways)
    Tough break? yeah. But no different than a tough call, costly injury, or weather.  Ultimately, the result of the games will forever be what the boxscore shows.

Now if the entire league has an outbreak and the Giants win the NFCE with a 6-10 record and go on to win the Superbowl.... then I will hear the case. haha.
    My team is the Dolphins and if they somehow won the Super Bowl because, for example, Mahomes and a bunch of Chiefs had to miss a playoff game because of Covid, I'd take it. I'll take a tainted Super Bowl over a by-the-book 8-8 season. I've endured too many of those already.

But other than something extreme like that (a Super Bowl-favorite being upset in the playoffs because they had a big Covid outbreak), I'm not calling it a "fake season" either. It sure doesn't look fake to the players that are out there. Look at Tom Brady. He's out there screaming at lineman and letting that miscreant Antonio Brown live with him. He wants to win. If by some chance the Bucs were to win the Super Bowl, ya think he's going to think "this doesn't count like my other six do"? No way. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • MayDay10 said:

So what you're saying is that you're not the type to make excuses, or diminish the accomplishments of other teams?

You wouldn't for example, go out of your way to point out someone on a rival team having taken steroids in the past, despite 100% of NFL teams having had players suspended for steroids in the past, does that sound about right? 
    edited December 2020
    MayDay10 said:

So what you're saying is that you're not the type to make excuses, or diminish the accomplishments of other teams?

You wouldn't for example, go out of your way to point out someone on a rival team having taken steroids in the past, despite 100% of NFL teams having had players suspended for steroids in the past, does that sound about right? 

The Patriots' titles aren't 'phony', they will always be in the history books, and Im sure players on all teams have taken steroids.  Edelman to me is a funny caricature of a roided up empty husk of a meathead though, and its clear the substances have done a number to his body.  I also feel strongly that the Patriots took advantage of every single edge they could find to their benefit, much moreso than any other team.  Tough luck.  They won and it's history.  I give them credit for doing it because it is/was smart.  Still need to execute and they did.  In 50 years they will probably be known as the greatest dynasty in NFL history

People in Buffalo like to cry 'no goal' for the Cup-winning goal in 1999 that shouldn't have counted.  While, yes, by the letter of the stupid rules that existed that season and took away many goals, that goal should have been reviewed and called back.  It is forgotten the Sabres were out of gas that game and would have had trouble scoring the winner, then would have had to win a Game 7 in Dallas.  
    Anyways, my response to people I hear claiming it is 'no goal' is to tell them to pull up hockey reference and the boxscore and tell me if it was a goal or not.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Asterisk season. Not taking anything away from any team. Just that it’s “not normal.” Anyone remember the players strike or replacement refs seasons? And all the pissing and moaning? Every team would be better if things were “normal.”  You can’t compare last nights game to one under normal circumstances with full rosters and a packed home crowd. While still entertaining, all games have been sloppy. Pats are still in the hunt, have potential to make the playoffs and are still a team that nobody wants to see in the playoffs. Do I expect them to go to the SB? No. But this season, like everything else in life this year, is lost and gets an asterisk. And I like the Bills because they’re playing great and are fun to watch again.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    I also like the Bills but was pointing out that teams with superior coaches were for sure hurt by the way the season rolled out.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    How is this possible? Every Denver Broncos QB is ineligible cause of Covid-19. Who the hell are they gonna put in, Elway?
    I don't follow NFL too closely so there could be a valid reason, but from the outside seems stupid when some games get postponed and then the Broncos get told not to play any of their QBs but the game goes on. Apparently they tried playing a free agent and even a coach and they were told no, new players need to quarantine for 6 days. So literally were told can't have an real QB.
    I was really hoping they'd bring 10 out into the field and snap the ball to no one. The NFL obviously wanted them to play without a QB, so why not?
    edited December 2020
    I think the teams that were hurt the most were probably ones with new coaches or heavy turnover with their coordinators.  Or any team whose coach is Adam Gase.  

I think when it is all said and done, we will likely see KC (or Tennessee) versus New Orleans/Seattle/GB.  That is likely what would have been the match-up with or without Covid, and in 5-10 years, everyone will have forgotten most of the specific circumstances of the season (other than it was an odd Covid season without fans, and likely a much different-looking Superbowl spectacle).  Maybe Mahomes will be looking for his 3rd or 4th Superbowl title by then, and absolutely nobody would bat an eye at one of those being 2020.  Same thing if Brees goes out on top (or even Brady).

*I dont think I should count out Pittsburgh as much as I do.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    mace1229 said:
    How is this possible? Every Denver Broncos QB is ineligible cause of Covid-19. Who the hell are they gonna put in, Elway?
    I don't follow NFL too closely so there could be a valid reason, but from the outside seems stupid when some games get postponed and then the Broncos get told not to play any of their QBs but the game goes on. Apparently they tried playing a free agent and even a coach and they were told no, new players need to quarantine for 6 days. So literally were told can't have an real QB.
    I was really hoping they'd bring 10 out into the field and snap the ball to no one. The NFL obviously wanted them to play without a QB, so why not?

They deserve it.  These fucking dummies all went in the same room, in close contact, without masks - knowingly breaking the policies of the team.  I think it is beyond much doubt that the NFL used them as an example.  The Ravens did not have the same sort of egregious breach in protocol found. 

I don't know about other teams but the Niners do not let their practice squad QB around their other QBs....in case one of them gets the Rona.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    I think this is an asterisk year, but I also don't think it should take away from whomever wins the Super Bowl (I know I sound like a homer, since I'm hoping it's the Chiefs again).  Out of all of the major sports, the NFL had the most time to prepare on dealing with COVID and you can see which organizations were/are best prepared at preventing spread throughout their roster.  That's part of a team's potential success or failure.  It's certainly much more avoidable than an unexpected injury during a game.  I do think the opt-outs have taken a few teams down a notch, namely the Patriots, but that is still part of this weird and fucked up 2020.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Oh yeah no more Thursday night football this season
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited December 2020
    MayDay10 said:
    As far as I am concerned: the Phillies never played this year, the NBA Bubble never happened, and this NFL season is a glorified extended preseason. Only sport that counted in 2020 was/is golf!
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • I genuinely don’t get comparing covid to your average run of the mill injuries or issues that teams deal with year in & year out. 

Typical NFL injuries don’t shut down team facilities forcing them to miss practices, workouts, PT, team meetings etc. Typical NFL injuries don’t have the potential to spread from player to player just by being in their presence, or like in Denver’s case seeing all 3 QBs land in mandatory quarantine. I don’t refute they brought it on themselves, but regardless it’s one of many unique circumstances that wouldn’t have happened in any other year. 

Yes, whomever wins the super bowl will forever be the 2020 champ, and hopefully no playoff games or team rosters are significantly impacted by covid in the postseason. 

My “fake season” comment was more than a little tongue in cheek. Those guys are out there busting their asses just as hard as they do in any other year and I’m enjoying the (good) games. But this year is like no other year this league has ever seen, and the inconsistent impact the pandemic has had on teams can’t be overlooked.