History of the treatment of Native Peoples in the Americas..

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

Midnight Oil: Aboriginal elder demands apology from Peter Garrett over McArthur River Mine diversion

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/9011092

quick google search turned up this....
    Yeah... my google searches showed he got swallowed up by the machine. You have to “work as a team from within”. 
    I think many a politician enters democratic government with good intentions but quickly finds there are party agendas which must be followed (getting re-elected) and therefore your own belief system must be compromised to differing levels. 

My only hope is the younger generations have done what my generation and the generations before refused to do... listen to marginalized groups of society. Understand what white privilege is and take steps to level the playing field for everyone. 

Once I understood white privilege (and accepted the fact I have benefitted from if greatly with many second chances and benefits of the doubt given to me simply because of the colour of my skin) then I could make responsible changes in my overall behaviour within society.
    My payroll deducted charitable donations through the United Way are now targeted to aboriginal homeless and youth programs here in Calgary. 

I am fortunate that my employer matches every dollar that I give to the Untied Way (of which 85 cents gets to the organization who need it) and also send the matched money to the organizations I want to support. Wealthy Philanthropists here in town then triple my donation. 
    This year my $10000 becomes $50,000 to aboriginal homelessness and youth programs. 

I am also volunteering time to the United Way where my skills can help. I am helping to paint an apartment and assemble the furniture for a placed homeless person here in the Northeast.

I say none of this for personal accolades. I say it because there are opportunities for all of us to do more. I am a changed person... a lot different than I was 5 years ago. A lot better person. I like myself a lot more. 
    I do everything to save the human race from itself, and two things I am doing today are to help reduce poverty and homelessness and to eat a plant-based diet. Next will be the purchase of an electric vehicle. I will always vote for government that is responsible on climate change and reducing poverty, particularly in special interest groups. Someday, a government will have the political will to make a difference and not simply provide lip service like the Trudeau Liberals here in Canada.

My fellow 10clubbers the world over generally hold Canada in high regards when it comes to social responsibility, however we should not gloat. We have many problems here and white privilege is at the root of almost all of it.  Even overt racism exists. An elderly white lady was discovered in my neighbourhood consistently dumping dogshit on the step of a local church. That church is a predominantly black church. I was simply mortified to learn of this. A while back a middle-aged white man was filmed spitting on and then kicking the passenger window/mirror of a young Asian fellow who was previously parked working on some documents.  The racial tirade escalated to what can only be described as shocking behaviour.  We can all be better.

Very interesting about a Peter I wonder if he ever did anything to explain his decision, damn you are incredible doing what you’re doing to make the world a better place by being a great person 1st..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Midnight Oil: Aboriginal elder demands apology from Peter Garrett over McArthur River Mine diversion

Yeah... my google searches showed he got swallowed up by the machine. You have to “work as a team from within”. 
    I think many a politician enters democratic government with good intentions but quickly finds there are party agendas which must be followed (getting re-elected) and therefore your own belief system must be compromised to differing levels. 

My only hope is the younger generations have done what my generation and the generations before refused to do... listen to marginalized groups of society. Understand what white privilege is and take steps to level the playing field for everyone. 

Once I understood white privilege (and accepted the fact I have benefitted from if greatly with many second chances and benefits of the doubt given to me simply because of the colour of my skin) then I could make responsible changes in my overall behaviour within society.
    My payroll deducted charitable donations through the United Way are now targeted to aboriginal homeless and youth programs here in Calgary. 

I am fortunate that my employer matches every dollar that I give to the Untied Way (of which 85 cents gets to the organization who need it) and also send the matched money to the organizations I want to support. Wealthy Philanthropists here in town then triple my donation. 
    This year my $10000 becomes $50,000 to aboriginal homelessness and youth programs. 

I am also volunteering time to the United Way where my skills can help. I am helping to paint an apartment and assemble the furniture for a placed homeless person here in the Northeast.

I say none of this for personal accolades. I say it because there are opportunities for all of us to do more. I am a changed person... a lot different than I was 5 years ago. A lot better person. I like myself a lot more. 
    I do everything to save the human race from itself, and two things I am doing today are to help reduce poverty and homelessness and to eat a plant-based diet. Next will be the purchase of an electric vehicle. I will always vote for government that is responsible on climate change and reducing poverty, particularly in special interest groups. Someday, a government will have the political will to make a difference and not simply provide lip service like the Trudeau Liberals here in Canada.

My fellow 10clubbers the world over generally hold Canada in high regards when it comes to social responsibility, however we should not gloat. We have many problems here and white privilege is at the root of almost all of it.  Even overt racism exists. An elderly white lady was discovered in my neighbourhood consistently dumping dogshit on the step of a local church. That church is a predominantly black church. I was simply mortified to learn of this. A while back a middle-aged white man was filmed spitting on and then kicking the passenger window/mirror of a young Asian fellow who was previously parked working on some documents.  The racial tirade escalated to what can only be described as shocking behaviour.  We can all be better.

Very interesting about a Peter I wonder if he ever did anything to explain his decision, damn you are incredible doing what you’re doing to make the world a better place by being a great person 1st..
    I very humbly say thank you for the kind words Jose. I am only doing what we all should be doing.  Instead of doing only what is best for us.. we should do what is best for all. 
    Just saying hello to the homeless folks goes a long way... can you imagine what it is like to be invisible? 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

Midnight Oil: Aboriginal elder demands apology from Peter Garrett over McArthur River Mine diversion

I very humbly say thank you for the kind words Jose. I am only doing what we all should be doing.  Instead of doing only what is best for us.. we should do what is best for all. 
    Just saying hello to the homeless folks goes a long way... can you imagine what it is like to be invisible? 
    Totally agree! When ever I see a homeless person on the side of the road or at stop lights I reach for any singles or a 5$ bill to hand them but I know for sure I could be doing way more..

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Is it better to get involved in government knowing you'll likely not make a difference or is it better to do as Gord Downie did?  Personally. I think 1st nations would be better off with more non-1st nations activists and raising money for 1st nation causes.

In the parliamentary system, the PM wields all the power.  So it's easy to get lost in the system.   

Their problems are not easily solved...but we must work harder to solve them.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Midnight Oil: Aboriginal elder demands apology from Peter Garrett over McArthur River Mine diversion

Is it better to get involved in government knowing you'll likely not make a difference or is it better to do as Gord Downie did?  Personally. I think 1st nations would be better off with more non-1st nations activists and raising money for 1st nation causes.

In the parliamentary system, the PM wields all the power.  So it's easy to get lost in the system.   

Their problems are not easily solved...but we must work harder to solve them.
    The electorate must drive the political will. For example, it is plainly obvious to everyone the issue of climate change and the environment will be forefront in all Canadian federal elections. The electorate has made that perfectly clear, much to the chagrin of many Albertans who seem to feel the oil industry is king even when energy companies capital budgets are increasingly aimed at renewable energy sources. 

So it really takes the non-indigenous population to make this an electoral issue. How Trudeau has not had to answer for his lack of action here is amazing to me. Political will comes from steady public pressure.

Unfortunately, not enough Canadians see the issue. You know how Eric Trump said that blacks have to help themselves? They have to want to succeed and all that blather? That is the opinion of many white Canadians about the aboriginal population. It’s so lazy to say “well, they get free university so what is the issue?” or so many other insensitive or demeaning remarks. 
  • How disappointing is this stuff? Why don’t more of us get behind these folks? 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    How disappointing is this stuff? Why don’t more of us get behind these folks? 

Yet another case of injustice toward First Nation/Native American/tribal peoples.  I think there are several reasons the plight of these people is still often all but ignored, reasons including racism, shame and/or embarrassment about the history of the treatment of indigenous peoples, and low priority in media coverage. Someone like Neil Young has brought more attention to these issues than any major media outlet I can think of.  It's truly a shame.  A shame of the Americas.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:

Yet another case of injustice toward First Nation/Native American/tribal peoples.  I think there are several reasons the plight of these people is still often all but ignored, reasons including racism, shame and/or embarrassment about the history of the treatment of indigenous peoples, and low priority in media coverage. Someone like Neil Young has brought more attention to these issues than any major media outlet I can think of.  It's truly a shame.  A shame of the Americas.
    Access to clean drinking water is a fundamental human right. Canadians cannot stand on any soapbox and lecture the rest of the world when we cannot provide this to our own people. 
    Shame on us... shame on our lack of leadership. 
    brianlux said:

The Canadian media does cover first nation issues...  Most Canadians are aware of the issues.  Many do not care.  First nations people are the most racialized people in Canada 🇨🇦...

There is 0 excuse for lack of clean drinking.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

Access to clean drinking water is a fundamental human right. Canadians cannot stand on any soapbox and lecture the rest of the world when we cannot provide this to our own people. 
    You are there is no excuse.  And our PM seem to have money to throw around for whole bunch his virtue-signalling causes...there is never enough money for first nations.  I guess they are asking for to much, just like the vets...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

The Canadian media does cover first nation issues...  Most Canadians are aware of the issues.  Many do not care.  First nations people are the most racialized people in Canada 🇨🇦...

Yes and yes.  As much as other race issues in the Americas are important, mistreatment, abuse and genocide of native people is the oldest and least attended to in our countries.  The shame spreads far and wide.

Even here, on AMT, how much attention have these issues been the focus of compared to other racial issues?  Very little.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited November 2020
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

ot to.

Yes and yes.  As much as other race issues in the Americas are important, mistreatment, abuse and genocide of native people is the oldest and least attended to in our countries.  The shame spreads far and wide.

Even here, on AMT, how much attention have these issues been the focus of compared to other racial issues?  Very little.

I really do not know not the solution.  Most 1st nations here in Canada try to get their issues solved through peaceful protest and sometimes blockades...I'm fine with both methods...if any peoples would have the right to loot and burn things down, they do...yet they choose not to.

I think where your country differs from mine is political.  No Canadian political party ignores 1st nation's issues, they listen but fail to act in many cases.  Both parties like to pretend they never existed in the US.  
    Wanna impress me, let's see someone choose a 1st nations VP.  President will never happen.  Just like we will never have 1st nation's PM.

The fucking Europeans brought us a corrupt political system...

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

Excellent! 

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited November 2020
    The more I thought about the incident, the sadder I become.  I will never understand why we do not want to do as they want so they can start to heal.  But we just add to their pain.  

‘Disgusting’: Abbotsford, B.C. kids told to research positives of residential schools

https://globalnews.ca/news/7484368/abbotsford-residential-school-positive-homework/

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…

mickeyrat said:
    Great video!!!  I am going to get those books.  

The land theft will never cease until people recognize they are living on stolen land!!!

And always forcing 1st nations people to the courts is what the government does best.  They use your and mine tax money to keep people down...that's the government 150 million people showed up to vote for...  And Canada is very much the same way.  LMFAO  Sad.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/politics/2020/12/2/1_5213658.html

Feds break promise to eliminate all drinking water advisories in 2021, vow work will continue

What a fucking disgrace Canada is...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    this belongs here too....

December 28, 2020 (Monday)

I will fill in today's news tomorrow, because there is nothing that cannot wait, and today, and tomorrow, are anniversaries....

On the clear, cold morning of December 29, 1890, on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, three U.S. soldiers tried to wrench a valuable Winchester away from a young Lakota man. He refused to give up his hunting weapon; it was the only thing standing between his family and starvation. As the men struggled, the gun fired into the sky.

Before the echoes died, troops fired a volley that brought down half of the Lakota men and boys the soldiers had captured the night before, as well as a number of soldiers surrounding the Lakotas. The uninjured Lakota men attacked the soldiers with knives, guns they snatched from wounded soldiers, and their fists.

As the men fought hand-to-hand, the Lakota women who had been hitching their horses to wagons for the day’s travel tried to flee along the nearby road or up a dry ravine behind the camp. The soldiers on a slight rise above the camp turned rapid-fire mountain guns on them. Then, over the next two hours, troops on horseback hunted down and slaughtered all the Lakotas they could find: about 250 men, women, and children.

But it is not December 29 that haunts me. It is the night of December 28, the night before the killing.

On December 28, there was still time to avert the Wounded Knee Massacre.

In the early afternoon, the Lakota leader Big Foot-- Sitanka-- had urged his people to surrender to the soldiers looking for them. Sitanka was desperately ill with pneumonia and the people in his band were hungry, underdressed, and exhausted. They were making their way south across South Dakota from their own reservation in the northern part of the state to the Pine Ridge Reservation. There, they planned to take shelter with another famous Lakota chief, Red Cloud. His people had done as Sitanka asked, and the soldiers escorted the Lakotas to a camp on South Dakota's Wounded Knee Creek, inside the boundaries of the Pine Ridge Reservation.

For the soldiers, the surrender of Sitanka's band marked the end of the Ghost Dance Uprising. It had been a tense month. Troops had pushed into the South Dakota reservations in November, prompting a band of terrified men who had embraced the Ghost Dance religion to gather their wives and children and ride out to the Badlands. But, at long last, army officers and negotiators had convinced those Ghost Dancers to go back to Pine Ridge and turn themselves in to authorities before winter hit in earnest.

Sitanka’s people were not part of the Badlands group and, for the most part, were not Ghost Dancers. They had fled from their own northern reservation two weeks before when they learned that officers had murdered the great leader Sitting Bull in his own home. Army officers were anxious to find and corral Sitanka’s missing Lakotas before they carried the news that Sitting Bull had been killed to those who had taken refuge in the Badlands. Army leaders were certain the information would spook the Ghost Dancers and send them flying back to the Badlands. They were determined to make sure the two bands did not meet.

But South Dakota is a big state, and it was not until late in the afternoon of December 28 that the soldiers finally made contact with Sitanka's band, and it didn’t go quite as the officers planned: a group of soldiers were watering their horses in a stream when some of the traveling Lakotas surprised them. The Indians let the soldiers go, and the men promptly reported to their officers, who marched on the Lakotas as if they were going to war. Sitanka, who had always gotten along well with army officers, assured the commander that the Indians were on their way to Pine Ridge anyway, and asked his men to surrender unconditionally. They did.

By this time, Sitanka was so ill he couldn't sit up and his nose was dripping blood. Soldiers lifted him into an army ambulance—an old wagon-- for the trip to the Wounded Knee camp. His ragtag band followed behind. Once there, the soldiers gave the Lakotas an evening ration, and lent army tents to those who wanted them. Then the soldiers settled into guarding the camp.

And they celebrated, for they were heroes of a great war, and it had been bloodless, and now, with the Lakota’s surrender, they would be demobilized back to their home bases before the South Dakota winter closed in. As they celebrated, more and more troops poured in. It had been a long hunt across South Dakota for Sitanka and his band, and officers were determined the group would not escape them again. In came the Seventh Cavalry, whose men had not forgotten that their former leader George Armstrong Custer had been killed by a band of Lakota in 1876. In came three mountain guns, which the soldiers trained on the Indian encampment from a slight rise above the camp.

For their part, the Lakotas were frightened. If their surrender was welcome and they were going to go with the soldiers to Red Cloud at Pine Ridge, as they had planned all along, why were there so many soldiers, with so many guns?

On this day and hour in 1890, in the cold and dark of a South Dakota December night, there were soldiers drinking, singing and visiting with each other, and anxious Indians either talking to each other in low voices or trying to sleep. No one knew what the next day would bring, but no one expected what was going to happen.

One of the curses of history is that we cannot go back and change the course leading to disasters, no matter how much we might wish to. The past has its own terrible inevitability.

But it is never too late to change the future.

mickeyrat said:
    this belongs here too....

December 28, 2020 (Monday)

I will fill in today's news tomorrow, because there is nothing that cannot wait, and today, and tomorrow, are anniversaries....

On the clear, cold morning of December 29, 1890, on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, three U.S. soldiers tried to wrench a valuable Winchester away from a young Lakota man. He refused to give up his hunting weapon; it was the only thing standing between his family and starvation. As the men struggled, the gun fired into the sky.

Before the echoes died, troops fired a volley that brought down half of the Lakota men and boys the soldiers had captured the night before, as well as a number of soldiers surrounding the Lakotas. The uninjured Lakota men attacked the soldiers with knives, guns they snatched from wounded soldiers, and their fists.

As the men fought hand-to-hand, the Lakota women who had been hitching their horses to wagons for the day’s travel tried to flee along the nearby road or up a dry ravine behind the camp. The soldiers on a slight rise above the camp turned rapid-fire mountain guns on them. Then, over the next two hours, troops on horseback hunted down and slaughtered all the Lakotas they could find: about 250 men, women, and children.

But it is not December 29 that haunts me. It is the night of December 28, the night before the killing.

On December 28, there was still time to avert the Wounded Knee Massacre.

In the early afternoon, the Lakota leader Big Foot-- Sitanka-- had urged his people to surrender to the soldiers looking for them. Sitanka was desperately ill with pneumonia and the people in his band were hungry, underdressed, and exhausted. They were making their way south across South Dakota from their own reservation in the northern part of the state to the Pine Ridge Reservation. There, they planned to take shelter with another famous Lakota chief, Red Cloud. His people had done as Sitanka asked, and the soldiers escorted the Lakotas to a camp on South Dakota's Wounded Knee Creek, inside the boundaries of the Pine Ridge Reservation.

For the soldiers, the surrender of Sitanka's band marked the end of the Ghost Dance Uprising. It had been a tense month. Troops had pushed into the South Dakota reservations in November, prompting a band of terrified men who had embraced the Ghost Dance religion to gather their wives and children and ride out to the Badlands. But, at long last, army officers and negotiators had convinced those Ghost Dancers to go back to Pine Ridge and turn themselves in to authorities before winter hit in earnest.

Sitanka’s people were not part of the Badlands group and, for the most part, were not Ghost Dancers. They had fled from their own northern reservation two weeks before when they learned that officers had murdered the great leader Sitting Bull in his own home. Army officers were anxious to find and corral Sitanka’s missing Lakotas before they carried the news that Sitting Bull had been killed to those who had taken refuge in the Badlands. Army leaders were certain the information would spook the Ghost Dancers and send them flying back to the Badlands. They were determined to make sure the two bands did not meet.

But South Dakota is a big state, and it was not until late in the afternoon of December 28 that the soldiers finally made contact with Sitanka's band, and it didn’t go quite as the officers planned: a group of soldiers were watering their horses in a stream when some of the traveling Lakotas surprised them. The Indians let the soldiers go, and the men promptly reported to their officers, who marched on the Lakotas as if they were going to war. Sitanka, who had always gotten along well with army officers, assured the commander that the Indians were on their way to Pine Ridge anyway, and asked his men to surrender unconditionally. They did.

By this time, Sitanka was so ill he couldn't sit up and his nose was dripping blood. Soldiers lifted him into an army ambulance—an old wagon-- for the trip to the Wounded Knee camp. His ragtag band followed behind. Once there, the soldiers gave the Lakotas an evening ration, and lent army tents to those who wanted them. Then the soldiers settled into guarding the camp.

And they celebrated, for they were heroes of a great war, and it had been bloodless, and now, with the Lakota’s surrender, they would be demobilized back to their home bases before the South Dakota winter closed in. As they celebrated, more and more troops poured in. It had been a long hunt across South Dakota for Sitanka and his band, and officers were determined the group would not escape them again. In came the Seventh Cavalry, whose men had not forgotten that their former leader George Armstrong Custer had been killed by a band of Lakota in 1876. In came three mountain guns, which the soldiers trained on the Indian encampment from a slight rise above the camp.

For their part, the Lakotas were frightened. If their surrender was welcome and they were going to go with the soldiers to Red Cloud at Pine Ridge, as they had planned all along, why were there so many soldiers, with so many guns?

On this day and hour in 1890, in the cold and dark of a South Dakota December night, there were soldiers drinking, singing and visiting with each other, and anxious Indians either talking to each other in low voices or trying to sleep. No one knew what the next day would bring, but no one expected what was going to happen.

One of the curses of history is that we cannot go back and change the course leading to disasters, no matter how much we might wish to. The past has its own terrible inevitability.

But it is never too late to change the future.

130 years later and so many of the people still live there in poverty on what little is left of their land. 

And Leonard Peltier still sits in a federal prison despite all the questions surrounding his trial and the 1975 incident at Pine Ridge.

And who, instead, did Trump give pardons to this year?  Right.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Watching the Montreal v Vancouver game the other day and before the game the Canucks PA announcer recognized that the game is being played on 1st nation unceded  territory...kudos to the Canucks...makes me wonder why a portion of property taxes are not automatically transferred to those 1st nations people’s who’s land that BC has stolen...and has yet to sign an agreement with the 1st nations people’s?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    this goes here too......

March 15, 2021 (Monday)

Tonight, the Senate confirmed the appointment of Representative Deb Haaland (D-NM) as Secretary of the Interior Department. An impressive woman in her own right, Haaland embodies the determination of the new administration to use the government for the good of all Americans, rather than for special interests. This makes her a threat to business-as-usual on issues of both race and the economy. Her confirmation vote was 50-41; only four Republicans voted in favor of her appointment.

Haaland is the first Indigenous cabinet secretary in our history, heading the department that, in the nineteenth century, abandoned Indigenous peoples for political leverage. She is a member of the Laguna Pueblo Nation, whose people have lived in the land that is now New Mexico for 35 generations. The daughter of two military veterans, Haaland is a single mother who earned a law degree with a young child in tow. She was a tribal leader focused on environmentally responsible economic development for the Lagunas before she became a Democratic leader.

Haaland brings to the position her opposition to further explorations for oil and gas on public lands, as well as an opposition to fracking, the process of extracting natural gas through fracturing rock with hydraulic pressure. Republicans have called her “radical” and say her opposition to the expansion of fossil fuels disqualifies her from overseeing an agency that, as Washington Post columnist Darryl Fears puts it, “traditionally promoted those values.”

Congress established the Department of the Interior in 1849 to pull together federal offices that dealt with matters significant to the domestic policy of the United States and were, at the time, scattered in a number of different departments. Among other things, the Interior Department took control of Indian affairs and public lands.

Reformers hoped that moving Indian Affairs from the War Department to the Interior Department, where civilians rather than army officers would control Indigenous relations, would lead to fewer wars. Instead, the move swept Indigenous people into a political system over which they had no control.

As settlers pushed into Indigenous territory, the government took control of the land through treaties that promised the tribes food, clothing, shelter, education, health care, and usually the tools and seeds to become farmers. As well, tribal members usually received a yearly payment of cash. These distributions of goods and money were not payment for the land. They replaced the livelihood the tribes lost when they gave up their lands.

Either willingly or by force, tribes moved onto reservations, large tracts overseen by an agent who, once Indian Affairs was in the Department of the Interior, was a political appointee chosen by the U.S. senators of the state in which the reservation was located. While some of the agents actually tried to do their job, most were put into office to advance the interests of the political party in power. So, they took the money Congress appropriated for the tribe they oversaw, then gave the contracts for the beef, flour, clothing, blankets, and so on, to cronies, who would fulfill the contracts with moldy food and rags, if they bothered to fulfill them at all. The agents would pocket the rest of the money, using it to help keep their political party in power and themselves in office.

When tribal leaders complained, lawmakers pointed out—usually quite correctly—that they had appropriated the money required under the treaties. But the system had essentially become a slush fund, and the tribes had no recourse against the corrupt agents except, when they were starving, to go to war. Then the agents called in the troops. Democrat Grover Cleveland tried to clean up the system in 1885-1889, but as soon as Republican Benjamin Harrison took the White House back, he jump-started the old system again.

The corruption was so bad by then that military leaders tried to take the management of Indian Affairs away from the Interior Department, furious that politicians caused trouble with the tribes and then soldiers and unoffending Indians died. It looked briefly as if they might win until the Wounded Knee Massacre of 1890 ended any illusions that military management would be a better deal for Native Americans than political management.

By the twentieth century, much of the Interior Department’s work turned to managing mineral and grazing rights, not only on Indigenous land, but also on land owned by the federal government. Until 1920, federal law permitted companies to claim the minerals under land they staked out. The discovery of oil in the West sparked a rush, though, and in 1909, the director of the U.S. Geological Survey warned Secretary of the Interior Richard Ballinger that prospectors were taking up all the land. Ballinger in turn warned President William Howard Taft, who used an executive order to protect more than 3 million acres of public lands in California and Wyoming, reserving the oil under them for use by the U.S. Navy.

In 1920, Congress passed the Mineral Leasing Act, which put the Interior Department in charge of overseeing leases to explore for oil and minerals, permitting drilling and mining, and receiving payments of a percentage of the value of anything extracted.

Soon after President Warren G. Harding took office in 1921, his Secretary of the Interior, Albert Fall, began to accept huge bribes from oil tycoon Edward Doheny. In 1922, Fall persuaded the Secretary of the Navy to transfer control of the Teapot Dome oil field in Wyoming, along with two other oil fields in California, to him. Harding signed off on the deal, and Fall promptly gave Doheny secret, no-bid leases for the fields.

The Teapot Dome scandal sent Fall to prison for a year, making him the first former cabinet official to serve time.

Although Doheny was convinced that socialism was destroying America, Teapot Dome marked the beginning of the power of the oil industry in the American government, power ultimately personified when Trump appointed a lawyer and lobbyist for the energy and oil industry, David Bernhardt, to head the department. Bernhardt—who was confirmed by a vote of 56 to 41—rolled back environmental regulations and opened up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil exploration.  

The Biden administration seems eager to break the hold of the energy industry on the Interior Department. As soon as he took office, Biden appointed almost 50 top officials, and froze the new drilling permits issued by the Trump administration for review.

Senator John Barrasso (R-WY), the top Republican on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, told Haaland that his state collects more than a billion dollars a year in royalties and taxes from the oil, gas, and coal produced on federal lands in the state, and warned that the Biden administration is “taking a sledgehammer to Western states’ economies.”

Haaland reassured him that having “lived most of my adult life paycheck to paycheck,” she understands the economic struggles of ordinary Americans and is fully on board with the administration’s plan to build back better, “to responsibly manage our natural resources to protect them for future generations—so that we can continue to work, live, hunt, fish, and pray among them.”

“A voice like mine has never been a Cabinet secretary or at the head of the Department of Interior,” Haaland tweeted when Biden announced her nomination. “I’ll be fierce for all of us, our planet, and all of our protected land.”