Georgia 2020 Senate Runoff

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
So I think I'm liking the chances that the Democrats have here.  The article doesn't seem as confident as me but I have a feeling Stacy Abrams is going to lead a big turnout (even bigger than for Biden) for these races.

I hope I'm right at least.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/11/06/what-are-odds-democratic-wins-georgia-runoffs/

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited November 2020
    So I think I'm liking the chances that the Democrats have here.  The article doesn't seem as confident as me but I have a feeling Stacy Abrams is going to lead a big turnout (even bigger than for Biden) for these races.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/11/06/what-are-odds-democratic-wins-georgia-runoffs/

I am hopeful, but it is going to take a lot of ground game to get people to turn out. Both parties will be motivated. I like the idea of an even split in the senate because hopefully it means they will be required to work together at least a little more. Still most likely will end up as partisan BS because Mitch won't work with any dem.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    tbergs said:

I am hopeful, but it is going to take a lot of ground game to get people to turn out. Both parties will be motivated. I like the idea of an even split in the senate because hopefully it means they will be required to work together at least a little more. Still most likely will end up as partisan BS because Mitch won't work with any dem.
    If McConnell was gone I would not mind a GOP Senate.  That fucker needs to go.

I'm just thinking that the Dems are going to be more fired up....I could be wrong but I'm guessing there is still more registered Dems that didn't vote last week than GOP and Abrams can really come through there.

Plus...Warnock and Ossoff are both pretty solid people.  

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    I think the dems are going to raise a shit-ton of money.  We threw 25 at each campaign yesterday and maybe we'll do more.  They're doing a good job at things like notifying young people that if they turn 18 after the general election but before the runoff that they can vote.  I think Abrams and others are going to keep the momentum, while most of the momentum in the GQP is for Trump. In fact, the Trumpies may be more focused on "the Steal" than on these elections.

I can't speak specifically to the Georgia GQP or how Georgians feel about any of these candidates, but I feel like the momentum may be on the side of the Dems in these races.  And I hope my 25 bucks goes to an add that rips Loeffler to shreds over her pandemic profiteering.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • As a Georgian, I’ll be happily voting for Warnock and Ossoff.

Neither Purdue or Loeffler could be bothered to respond (even with a form response) with my carefully worded non partisan appeal to vote to provide relief to independent music venues. Congressman Johnson replied to me.

Purdue was the same with profiteering. Sat in on the coronavirus briefing in February, bought stock in PPE, and then said the virus was no big deal.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I am hope both Democrats win but what are the odds?  My sister keeps a close watch on these things and he is only marginally hopeful and tells me its a long shot.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I'm in! Go get em' Georgia! 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    republicans not getting the result they wanted so let's fire the guy in charge....