The National Football League

Comments

• Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    edited October 2020
    I've got a question for anyone who would like to discuss.  Romeo Crennel goes for 2 up seven late in regulation against the Titans.  Are you for or against that decision? 
    I'm actually kinda for it. Low-risk, high reward. If you get it, that changes everything (being up 9 versus being up 8). If you don't, eh, being up 7 isn't all that different than being up 8. Rich Gannon was completely the opposite on the broadcast though. 

On the flipside, when you're DOWN, I'm against going for two until you have to. For example, if you were down 15 and scored a TD, I say you kick the extra point and be down 8. It was always like this, but lately, coaches have begun changing their tune on it. I think due to analytics or something. There's an argument for and against it...

FOR: Well you have to go for two eventually, why not do it now? If you miss it, and are down 9, and at least you know from early on that you need two scores. And now, with onside kicks nearly impossible to recover, if you wait until your final possession to for two, and miss it, you're probably doomed.

AGAINST: From a mentality standpoint, both for the team and the fan, don't you prefer to just be down 8? If you're down 8 with 3 minutes to go, you feel good about things. If you're down 9 with three minutes to go (especially with how onside kicks are now), you feel kind of hopeless. 

I prefer the latter. Be down 8 on your final possession, go on a drive and hopefully score a TD, and have your absolute best play ready for the two point conversion (in other words, don't run whatever the hell the Eagles tried to run yesterday against the Ravens). 
    I'm for it as well.  An extra point isn't exactly automatic these days since they moved the spot back.  Why not try to put the game away?  A two-point conversion doesn't seem to be that difficult for an offense to execute, so who is to say the Titans still wouldn't have tied it? 

The Rams were faced with the opposite situation you mention last night.  They kicked the extra point down 9, which I agree was the right call.  It's unlikely you would get 2 more possessions if you fail in that spot. 

Rich Gannon was definitely had a "get off my lawn" tangent after RAC went for 2.  I wonder what he would have said if the Texans had converted the 2-point try.

Post edited by Glorified KC on
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    I've got a question for anyone who would like to discuss.  Romeo Crennel goes for 2 up seven late in regulation against the Titans.  Are you for or against that decision? 

Against.  Take the point, make it 8, and make it that much harder to tie you.  The 8th point is a gimme for them, not so much for their opponents.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Huge win by the Niners.  Amazing how much of a difference having capable corners makes things.  Still not anywhere near normal on defense but a big difference.
    Also, Mostert is a frigging beast.  Hope his ankle is not too bad.
    Huge win by the Niners.  Amazing how much of a difference having capable corners makes things.  Still not anywhere near normal on defense but a big difference.
    As the Niners continue to get healthy, I think they have a good chance at making some noise in the West.  They haven't played Seattle yet have they?

As the Niners continue to get healthy, I think they have a good chance at making some noise in the West.  They haven't played Seattle yet have they?

No that is up in a few weeks.  If Mostert is out again that is heavy.  With him in there they are really dynamic.  It allows a standard qb to be successful to be able to run like that.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Definitely against.
    No place on those charts coaches carry does it say to go for 2 when you are up 7.
    You kick every time and go up 8 an put more pressure on your opponent,
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Poncier said:
    Definitely against.
    No place on those charts coaches carry does it say to go for 2 when you are up 7.
    I go back and forth on this. I think it depends on how much you trust your offense to get the two. If you get it the game is over.  Doug Pederson did it last year and got it and game was over.  
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    Definitely against.
    I go back and forth on this. I think it depends on how much you trust your offense to get the two. If you get it the game is over.  Doug Pederson did it last year and got it and game was over.  
    I think I would trust Deshaun Watson to go get the 2.  It didn't work out, but he's getting paid like someone who's capable of going and getting the win there.

• Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    Definitely against.
    I think I would trust Deshaun Watson to go get the 2.  It didn't work out, but he's getting paid like someone who's capable of going and getting the win there.

They had a guy open, Jeff Simmons just made a great play and tipped the ball at the line
    Jumb0 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    Definitely against.

They had a guy open, Jeff Simmons just made a great play and tipped the ball at the line
    Now Baker Mayfield on the other hand...

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Awful weather
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147
    Andy Dalton thought he was gonna have a better time than in Cincinnati. 
    I miss igotid88
    Man does the NFC east suck.
    And it goes on full display Thursday night. NFL is probably pleased the debate is also on Thursday so nobody will tune into the Pop Warner level exhibition that will happen in Philly.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Poncier said:
    And it goes on full display Thursday night. NFL is probably pleased the debate is also on Thursday so nobody will tune into the Pop Warner level exhibition that will happen in Philly.
    Hey man the Eagles can vault into first place on Thursday night. Huge game!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Poncier said:
    Hey man the Eagles can vault into first place on Thursday night. Huge game!

The Eagles beat the Niners and then were competitive against the Stillers and Blackbirds.

They should pound the shit out of the other East teams.  (Losing Sanders is a killer.)
  • Tua named Miami's starter for their game after the bye against the Rams. Talk about a "welcome to the NFL" moment. When Tua walks to the line of scrimmage for his first snap as the starter, Aaron Donald is going to be like two feet in front of him.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Interesting. Fitzpatrick is playing well, surprised they made the switch now, but maybe its a smart move as usually the Fitzmagic wears off after a while, better to do it before he costs you a couple games with 5 picks.
  • Poncier said:
    Interesting. Fitzpatrick is playing well, surprised they made the switch now, but maybe its a smart move as usually the Fitzmagic wears off after a while, better to do it before he costs you a couple games with 5 picks.
    I have a feeling that it was preordained that they’d turn it over to Tua following the bye. The bye was originally going to be later in the season, but got switched to this week due to covid reschedulings 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited October 2020
    Could be a tough Sunday for Derek Carr with his entire starting O-line on the reserve Covid-19 list.
    Guess he'll just have to snap the ball to himself like we all used to in backyard football games and hope Donkey Kong Suh counts to 5 Mississippi before cleating him.
    Damn all the bad teams I wanted to win to give the Giants a chance at the #1 pick lost
    I miss igotid88
    SF taking it to NE.  I think the 49ers are gaining some serious momentum.  
    Tampa Bay’s system is pretty good for quarterbacks 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Are there any Steeler fans on this thread?  Was Bell a problem in the locker room?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    so it was Brady...

Bellicheck losing record before Brady...2-4 after. hmmm.
    Or Cam is overrated
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    Or Cam is overrated
    But I was lead to believe any qb can thrive in New England’s “system.”

lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    Are there any Steeler fans on this thread?  Was Bell a problem in the locker room?
    Not really, he seemed like a team and fan favorite.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Are there any Steeler fans on this thread?  Was Bell a problem in the locker room?
    I'm not so sure about that. The lineman didn't like him because he never gave them any credit. That's why a few of them spoke out against him during his holdout. Either way, I think he'll be fine on the Chiefs. He's smart enough to know this is a great opportunity. He's gone from holding out an entire year, for less money, to go to a worse team (the Jets), and now he's landed on a one of the best teams. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    edited October 2020
    I'm not so sure about that. The lineman didn't like him because he never gave them any credit. That's why a few of them spoke out against him during his holdout. Either way, I think he'll be fine on the Chiefs. He's smart enough to know this is a great opportunity. He's gone from holding out an entire year, for less money, to go to a worse team (the Jets), and now he's landed on a one of the best teams. 
    From what I remember, the players let Bell do his thing when he was holding out, but Bell told the team/O-line that he was coming back at a certain time, and then didn't.  I think that rubbed some people the wrong way, but they also said they would welcomed him back with open arms when he did return.  I don't think it ever got nasty behind the scenes (how would we ever know?); the line routinely said how much they loved him.  I remember Bell saying he didn't have a great relationship with Big Ben, though.
    Post edited by Vitalogensia on
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023