I WONDER What This Is All About

GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
Today I was taking a walk in Greenwich Village and came across this. Many loaves of Wonder Bread hanging by single strings in both windows and the doorway of a closed down restaurant. Could it be an art project, food for the mice, break glass in case of the apocalypse (is Wonder Bread like Twinkies)? Just WONDERing 🤔

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I WONDER when they will clean their window? 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,809
    Ha that is very odd for sure??  I wonder how moldy that bread will be in a week.  😂
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Hopefully peanut butter and some jars of jelly are hanging in the next window. 
    That would be the ultimate message. 
  • I like the retro packaging and the fact that its called wonder bread.  Could be free advertising or conceptual art or maybe someone was just bored who had string and wanted to use their loaf!
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    EB218946 said:
    Ha that is very odd for sure??  I wonder how moldy that bread will be in a week.  😂
    Don't count on that shit getting moldy Ed! As an experiment, my former co-workers and I kept a cheap loaf of enriched white bread that was gifted to one of us after Hurricane Florence. Dont get me wrong a few of us made made some legit tasty grilled cheeses from it and then it just sat there... on top of the office microwave. After a while people were afraid to eat it but it still looked fine! We decided we would wait it out and see if mold ever formed... the hurricane was in Sept '18 and I resigned in June '19. The bread was still squishy and zero mold!!!! I forgot all about this experiment until now. I will contact my former co-workers and report back... a little over a year later ;)
    And you must keep us updated on this WONDERous finding @GlowGirl
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    I just found an article online that referenced this storefront with the Wonder Bread. The article was from April 2018.  So we now know the bread has been there for over 2 years. Serious preservatives. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I thought it might be something against white people :rofl:

Wonder Bread, PB&J. Does it get any better?
    GlowGirl said:
    I just found an article online that referenced this storefront with the Wonder Bread. The article was from April 2018.  So we now know the bread has been there for over 2 years. Serious preservatives. 
    I'm telling you!! That bread can survive an/well now THIS apocalypse. I just texted my former employees about our office loaf ;)
    hedonist said:

White bread! lol Hedo...I'm on a low carb/little to no sugar diet right now. I'd hurt someone for a nice pb&j on some Wonder bread at this point!
    hedonist said:

White bread! lol Hedo...I'm on a low carb/little to no sugar diet right now. I'd hurt someone for a nice pb&j on some Wonder bread at this point!
    That is a noble endeavor! I love both :)
    Yeah it sucks, but much needed!!
    hedonist said:

I haven’t had Wonder bread since I was a kid. I remember my parents refused to buy it. But my friend’s mom used to make us peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on Wonder bread. That was spectacular. 
    edited July 2020
    I never got into the fluff (but love roasted marshmallows; go figure). When I was a kid, we were friends with the family who owned Weby’s bread. It was basically identical to Wonder. The stuff of childhood!

Who am I kidding...of (my) adulthood too. 
    edited July 2020
    hedonist said:
    I never got into the fluff (but love roasted marshmallows; go figure). When I was a kid, we were friends with the family who owned Weby’s bread. It was basically identical to Wonder. The stuff of childhood!

Who am I kidding...of (my) adulthood too. 
    I also like toasted marshmallow - and I like it in Rocky Road ice cream. But, I wonder if I would still like the marshmallow fluff. Somehow, the thought of biting into a marshmallow sandwich on white bread now makes my teeth hurt :grimacing:

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    That bread is just loafing around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I do not like marshmallows. Anyone else here with me? 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    deadendp said:
    I’m with you. Marshmallows are disgusting. 
    deadendp said:
    I don’t like them straight out of the bag, but when they are all toasty and melty or floating in hot chocolate I can totally get into it. 

• I think I might have owned a jar of fluff once but i couldn't eat it.  I prefer these kind of marshmellows:

• EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,809
    GlowGirl said:
    I'm telling you!! That bread can survive an/well now THIS apocalypse. I just texted my former employees about our office loaf ;)
    Hey Haunting Familar hope you are well!!  As well as you Glow Girl!!  I am going away next week to Mystic CT for a week vacation I booked a year ago.  Gonna mask up and avoid that Rona!  
    Anyway,  I am looking forward to follow up pics of both of your bread adventures!!
    love this thread.  😂😂
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    It's what I call "mush bread".  Lots of air, very spongy.  I'm pretty sure if you smash it down good, you can fit a load of Wonder bread into a thimble.  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    It's what I call "mush bread".  Lots of air, very spongy.  I'm pretty sure if you smash it down good, you can fit a load of Wonder bread into a thimble.  :lol: 
    When I was a kid and used to eat soft white bread I would roll into balls like Play-Doh and eat it like that. It is quite pliable 😁
    EB218946 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Hey Haunting Familar hope you are well!!  As well as you Glow Girl!!  I am going away next week to Mystic CT for a week vacation I booked a year ago.  Gonna mask up and avoid that Rona!  
    Anyway,  I am looking forward to follow up pics of both of your bread adventures!!
    love this thread.  😂😂
    Have a great trip. It’s beautiful there. Have some Mystic pizza 😁
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    When I was a kid and used to eat soft white bread I would roll into balls like Play-Doh and eat it like that. It is quite pliable 😁
    Me too. Challah was great for that as well. 
  • WONDERful
    EB218946 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    love this thread.  😂😂
    Oooh have fun in Mystic!! So here's the update on the ole "office loaf". 

The office loaf is no longer smh... 😂
    Walked by here today and it looks like the bread had an upgrade from Wonder Bread to Pepperidge Farm. Getting fancier. 

•  Cheers for the update @GlowGirl I wonder what they are playing at, changing our wonder bread!