Gun Club: Anyone heard of 'em?

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited March 2006 in Other Music
I got bored of everything in my collection a few months ago,
searched the internet for lists like
"100 greatest punk albums" and "50 most influential records of the last 50 years" and such ...

led me to lots of ... :coughcough: downloads ... :coughcough: ...

one of them was the discography for an old band called (The) Gun Club ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Club

it's this kind've hendrix-inspired proto-punkabilly outfit ...

remind me sort of a mashup of The Dead (folkish rambling song structure at times), The Smiths (some vocal bits), something like Social D meets even more Johnny Cash (the songs, guitar), The Doors (vocals for sure), and a small hint of Pearl Jam lead guitar (mike\hendrix type solos -- see song: "Go Tell The Mountain") and even some Black Francis\Pixies\Lou Reed type vocals and song stuff (see "sex beat")

... weird stuff.
kind've "Groovy" ... ok ... not groovy ...

but cool?

weird.

anyone hip to this shit back "in the day" ?
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    I know that Henery Rollins liked them and I think that he was friends with the singer too.
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • I love their album Fire of Love. Everyone should listen to it. Seriously, do it right now. You'll love it. The other stuff that I've heard from them is alright, but not as great as their first album.

Youtube has two live videos. The first song is from Fire of Love. The second is from the album Miami.

Sex Beat
    Brother and Sister

Neither is great quality, but it's a taste, I guess.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I grew up in L.A. around the time the Gun Club was around....the singer, Jeffrey Lee Pierce, was quite a troubled soul...I believe he died several years ago.

Another great band from that era is the Dream Syndicate.

Awww, the memories....I am an old man of 40, but I am happy i grew up around the L.A. scene in the 80s.
  • Finished reading “Sing Backwards and Weep” by Mark Lanegan (real page turner).
     He mentioned how he loved The Gun Club and his singing idol was Pierce. They became friends. 
    I did not remember them but I listened to what is on Spotify the past couple weeks and this stuff is gold.  This was obviously groundbreaking at the time. 

I just ordered the 2013 vinyl RE of Miami with one of the 1000 copies that has the bonus live album.  Looking forward to giving that a spin!