Options

***Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense (Book)****

igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
edited April 2020 in The Porch
Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense by Ronen Givony https://amzn.to/2Ptg2ne

There has never been a band like Pearl Jam. The Seattle quintet has recorded 11 studio albums; sold 85 million records; played a 1,000 shows, in 50 countries; and had five different albums reach number one. But Pearl Jam's story is about much more than music. Through passion, integrity, and sheer force of will, they transcended several eras, and shaped the way a generation thought about music.

Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense is the first full-length biography of America's preeminent band, from Ten to Let's Play Two to Gigaton. A study of their role in history--from Operation Desert Storm to the Dixie Chicks; "Jeremy" to Columbine; Kurt Cobain to Chris Cornell; Ticketmaster to Trump--Not for You describes the band's origins and evolution, over thirty years of culture. It starts with their founding, and the eruption of grunge, in 1991; continues through the golden age (Vs., Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield); their middle period (Binaural, Riot Act); and the more divisive recent catalog. Along the way, it considers the band's idealism, activism, and impact, from “Better Man” to Body of War and the West Memphis Three.

More than the first critical study, Not for You is a letter to a famously obsessive fan base, in the spirit of Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch. It's an old-fashioned--if ambivalent--appreciation; a reflection on pleasure and guilt; and an essay on the nature of nostalgia, adolescence, and adulthood. Partly social history; partly autobiography; and entirely outspoken, discursive, and droll, Not for You follows Pearl Jam's odyssey, from the 1990s to the present
I miss igotid88
Post edited by igotid88 on

Comments

• Options
    464 pages
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Table of contents
    Introduction: A Personal Preface

1 The Cast

2 A Dozen Moments in the Prehistory of Pearl Jam

3 The Bacchanal, San Diego (November 21, 1989)

4 The Off Ramp, Seattle (October 22, 1990)

5 “Jeremy,” “Garden,” “Yellow Ledbetter” (1991)

6 J.C. Dobbs, Philadelphia (July 12, 1991)

7 The Palladium, Hollywood (October 6, 1991)

8 Cow Palace, San Francisco (December 31, 1991)

9 MTV Unplugged (March 16, 1992)

10 Pinkpop Festival, Holland (June 8, 1992)

11 The Singles Soundtrack (1992)

12 Stadio Flaminio, Rome (July 6, 1993)

13 Lakefront Arena, New Orleans (November 16, 1993)

14 Hints, Allegations, and Things Left Unsaid (1993)

15 Civic Center, Pensacola (March 9, 1994)

16 Bayfront Amphitheater, Miami (March 28, 1994)

17 Patriot Center, Fairfax (April 8, 1994)

18 Rayburn House Office Building, Washington DC (June 30, 1994)

19 Dave (1994)

20 Self-Pollution Radio (January 8, 1995)

21 Soldier Field, Chicago (July 11, 1995)

22 38th Annual Grammy Awards (February 28, 1996)

23 Cox Arena, San Diego (July 10, 1998)

24 Binaural and the Battle of Seattle (1999)

25 Roskilde Festival, Denmark (June 30, 2000)

26 Madison Square Garden (October 15, 2000)

27 Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale (April 30, 2003)

28 Thin Air (2006-2013)

29 Tomas Young and Body of War (2005-2014)

30 Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia (April 29, 2016)

31 Altice Arena, Lisbon (June 20, 2019)

Afterword (For Chris Cornell)

In Memoriam

Acknowledgments

Bibliography

Index

About the Author
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

About the Author

Ronen Givony is the author of 24 Hour Revenge Therapy (or, The Strange Death of Selling Out), part of Bloomsbury's 33 1/3 series. He is the founder of New York's Wordless Music series and orchestra (wordlessmusic.org)--which the Village Voice named the city's “Best Moderately Snooty Concert Series"--and a contributor of liner notes for NonesuchConstellationThrill Jockey, and Temporary Residence. A native of South Florida, he has worked as a producer for concert venues and music festivals in the US and abroad.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    It says from Ten to Gigaton. But it ends on June 20 2019. I guess he's writing chapter 32 as we type
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    “Ronen Givony's Not for You does what Givony would like Pearl Jam to do: it rises above its immediate purpose. It is a critical annotation to a body of work which lifts off the ground and becomes an extravagant performance about time, rebellion, fame, disenchantment, civil discourse, the idea of the mainstream, the desire of a fan, and what a band can do to answer it.” ―Ben Ratliff, author of Every Song Ever
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49021978-not-for-you

J Earl rated it 5 stars it was amazing
    12 days ago
    Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense by Ronen Givony really struck a sweet spot for me. Pearl Jam is a group I really liked for a time in the 90s, then just never kept following them. So in my mind, with the exception of two later concerts (I only saw them five times total), they were forever stuck in time for me. Even hearing new stuff didn't unstick them. This book not only gave me some insight into the group and their fans, but also into my own feelings about the band. I love when a book helps to explain me to me.

In the early 90s I was a "nontraditional" student as an undergrad, meaning I was a bit older than most undergrads. My first undergrad degree was about a decade earlier and was mostly military experience in electronics and some correspondence courses coupled with a few in person classes, so the early 90s were really my college years, even if I was an old man of just over 30. So I was in a place where a lot of people were listening to this new sound, and like them I found it empowering (though I never found anything more empowering for me than much of the music I grew up with, but I think that is true of most people of any generation) but I also wasn't completely enamored of Pearl Jam and a few other groups. Come to find out, liking Pearl Jam is problematic for a lot of people.

What appeals to me in Givony's style is the way he reflects on some of the whys of his fanhood. Even if he ultimately at times just throws up his hands and says "just because." It was in his reflections, sometimes purely personal and sometimes through critiquing the music or the activism, where I was able to better understand the things that did appeal to me and the things that really didn't matter. In the end, I came away with a better appreciation of the group and what they did or tried to do and a better understanding of my previous ambiguity about them. Now I can say I do like them and feel like I can say why, to some degree.

For readers who like Pearl Jam this will be the kind of read you'll love even when you're arguing with it. You might disagree with some things or understand things different, but Givony never just makes a bold statement without offering some rationale. For the more casual fan, which I consider myself to be, this will fill in gaps as well as show you a lot of the history you probably missed. It is a good read and really does engage the reader as much as simply explain to the reader.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley. 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Leigh Swain Tilman rated it 5 stars it was amazing
    3 days ago
    Shelves: non-fiction
    Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense is not your typical band biography. More than a gossipy retelling of behind the scenes drama, this is a thorough examination of the band’s recording and concert history. The author isn’t afraid to share his opinions on what he sees as the band’s triumphs as well as their missteps. It’s an intelligent examination of what has worked and what hasn’t. Particularly insightful is the recounting of current events that shaped Pearl Jam’s music and performances. As a casual listener of Pearl Jam, I appreciated the recap of what I’ve missed over the years. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Best-sellers rank #56,962 in Books
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    I got an email from Amazon this morning about a shipping delay for this. Did anyone else get this?
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    I got an email from Amazon this morning about a shipping delay for this. Did anyone else get this?
    No. Got an update for the Do the Evolution book. But no delay
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I have read this book, it is worth the purchase
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • Options
    From what I've read from the preview it looks good
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    KW6232KW6232 Posts: 349
    tdawe said:
    Yeah I got the same delivery email from amazon. The website still says Oct. 15 release date though. 
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,574
    same email here.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    It was Oct 1 before or close to that
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    464 pages
    440 pages now
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    igotid88 said:
    It was Oct 1 before or close to that
    That’s what I thought. I’m backed up on a couple books though so won’t get to this one before mid October anyway. 
  • Options
    KW6232KW6232 Posts: 349
    Amazon just sent me another email. Now telling me it will be delivered on its release date 10/15 at no extra cost. 
  • Options
    I spoke with the author, 10/15 is new release date
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • Options
     #30,661 in Books
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,693
    Amazon UK still has this as October 1st
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,268
    I was all set to order this but then I read the title and, apparently, it's not for me.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    I was all set to order this but then I read the title and, apparently, it's not for me.
    You’re supposed to give it to someone else as a present.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,268
    tdawe said:
    BF25394 said:
    You’re supposed to give it to someone else as a present.
    Now it makes sense.  I just ordered 100 to give out at Christmas.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Chapter 9. MTVUnplugged (March 16, 1992)
    Extract
    Bob Dylan, Chronicles If you were born around this time or were living and alive, you could feel the old world go and the new one beginning. It was like putting the clock back to when B. C. became A. D. Everybody born around my time was a part of both. On January 3, 1992, the band comes home from three months on tour. Two weeks later, their show at the Moore Theatre is filmed, for a video: “Even Flow. ” The show is halted, briefly, as Ed reprimands the director: “NO! NO, NO! Now, for once — these lights — we’re going to have to calm this place down, with all these, lights — and filming shit. ” The crowd cheers, and Ed keeps haranguing. “This is NOT — this is not a TV studio. JOSH. Turn these LIGHTS out! It’s a FUCKING rock concert! READY? ” (Ed is quoting a line of...
    I miss igotid88