Options

The one-from-each-music-genre Tropical Island Challenge

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
You're about to be taken to a tropical island for a month.  You will provided with plenty of food, a stocked bar and/ or other beverages of your choice, comfortable shelter, and any clothes of your choice.  If you enjoy indulging, weed grows wild and is perfectly legal.  The weather is guaranteed to be mild (or you can go during hurricane season if you are a thrill seeker).

There is, however, one restriction:  The music.  You get to choose to take with you one single or double album (no box sets) from each of the following genres.  That's ten records- no more!  Choose carefully, good luck and bon voyage!

ROCK
BLUES
JAZZ
COUNTRY
FOLK/ BLUEGRASS
REGGAE/DUB
R&B/SOUL/HIP HOP
CLASSICAL
WORLD MUSIC
SOUNDTRACK

Here's mine

ROCK: The Dream Syndicate:  The Complete Live at Raji's
BLUES:  Taj Mahal: The Natch'l Blues
JAZZ:  Vince Guaraldi:  Cast Your Fate to the Wind
FOLK/ BLUEGRASS:  Sandy Bull:  E Pluribus Unum
REGGAE/DUB:  Bob Marley:  Legend
R&B/SOUL/HIP HOP:  Al Green:  Call Me 
CLASSICAL: George Szell: Szell/Debussy/Ravel
WORLD MUSIC: Tinariwen: Imidiwan: Companions
SOUNDTRACK:  Paris, Texas

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    R&B and Hip Hop are grouped together but Rock and Blues aren't?
  • Options
    ROCK - Carly Rae Jepsen - (Complete) E-Mo-Tion
    HIP HOP - Madlib - 420 All Stars
    JAZZ - Miles Davis - Bags Groove
    COUNTRY - Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Movies
    FOLK/ BLUEGRASS - Chris Thile/Edgar Meyer - Bass and Mandolin
    REGGAE/DUB - Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets the Rockers Uptown
    R&B/SOUL - Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
    CLASSICAL -  William Basinski - Disintegration Tapes II
    WORLD MUSIC - Fela Kuti - He Miss Road
    SOUNDTRACK - The Harder They Come

Took a hip hop record over blues. I wanted a swap a Dance record instead of Folk/Bluegrass, but I figured I should not deviate that much from challenge
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    R&B and Hip Hop are grouped together but Rock and Blues aren't?

Correct.  Please submit complaints to www.stupidthreads.com :wink:

Edit:  Ooops, on second thought, don't.  That is actually someone's site.  :lol:
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    edited September 2020
    I'll be limited on what I could take as I don't like some.

ROCK-Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti 
    BLUES- Jimi Hendrix - Blues
    JAZZ-Don't know enough, but I guess a Miles Davis Album
    COUNTRY-Don't like Country
    FOLK/ BLUEGRASS-Same as Country for me 
    REGGAE/DUB-Bob Marley - Legend
    R&B/SOUL/HIP HOP- The Temptations - Anthology (If Hip-Hop/Rap? was separate I would take Public Enemy - Fear Of  A  Black Planet)
    CLASSICAL- I have NO Class
    WORLD MUSIC-I'm not worldly 
    SOUNDTRACK-Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same
  • Options
    cutz said:
    I'll be limited on what I could take as I don't like some.

ROCK-Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti 
    BLUES- Jimi Hendrix - Blues
    JAZZ-Don't know enough, but I guess a Miles Davis Album
    COUNTRY-Don't like Country
    C-Same as Country for me 
    REGGAE/DUB-Bob Marley - Legend
    R&B/SOUL/HIP HOP- The Temptations - Anthology (If Hip-Hop/Rap? was separate I would take Public Enemy - Fear Of  A  Black Planet)
    CLASSICAL- I have NO Class
    WORLD MUSIC-I'm not worldly 
    SOUNDTRACK-Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same
    For you, cutz, we'll expand your options:
    COUNTRY-- COUNTRY ROCK (Eagles, Byrds, Flying Burrito Bros., Poco, Marshall Tucker Band, Allman Brothers, Creedence)
    FOLK/ BLUEGRASS-- can included artists like Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, John Fahey, Leo Kottke, Nick Drake
    CLASSICAL-- We're sneaking in a Ravel's Bolero for you since everyone should at least hear Ravel's Bolero!
    WORLD MUSIC-  Can be any record made anywhere other than the U.S. and England.

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I'm not ready to commit to a list but I'll be tweaking the categories, appropriately of course. 

For instance Reggae will include Roots Rock in my list, since it is a second cousin once removed. 

And R&B should def be separate from Hip Hop. Just my unsolicited opinion. 

I know, I know...go start your own thread Ms. Know-it -all.

Oh, BTW, @brianlux I finally listened to Dinosaur Jr.!  Love 'em! I have a Jam Bands/Roots Rock playlist on Spotify (with almost 800 followers 😁, just give me the win, I have a very complicated simple life) & Dinosaur Jr. was dropped into one of my Spotify 'made for you' lists based on my affinity to said type music. You have been trying to get me to listen for years now. All you needed was an algorithm & streaming platform Brian!! Really good band.

I'll take my leave now till I have a list. 🤐
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    I'm not ready to commit to a list but I'll be tweaking the categories, appropriately of course. 

For instance Reggae will include Roots Rock in my list, since it is a second cousin once removed. 

Oh, BTW, @brianlux I finally listened to Dinosaur Jr.!  Love 'em! I have a Jam Bands/Roots Rock playlist on Spotify (with almost 800 followers 😁, just give me the win, I have a very complicated simple life) & Dinosaur Jr. was dropped into one of my Spotify 'made for you' lists based on my affinity to said type music. You have been trying to get me to listen for years now. All you needed was an algorithm & streaming platform Brian!! Really good band.

That's so great that you like Dinosaur Jr, Nancy!  :plus_one: They have a new album coming out sometime this year and I'm stoked!

Another band I promote (I'd love to be their salaried promo guy but I'd take a band pin or coffee mug, haha!) is The Dream Syndicate.  They're another band that's been around a long time (first album came out in 1982!) but never got really big.  Here is a sampling of the three incarnations of the band:

• Options
    This was tough.  One rock album...  

ROCK Black Sabbath Vol 4
    BLUES James Brown Into the Jungle Groove
    JAZZ Jon Spencer Blues Exploision Damage
    COUNTRY Johnny Cash Live at Folsom
    FOLK/ BLUEGRASS Ani DiFranco Living in Clip
    REGGAE/DUB Sublime 40oz to Freedom
    R&B/SOUL/HIP HOP Beastie Boys Pauls Boutique
    CLASSICAL  Benny Goodman Best of
    WORLD MUSIC Marlon Asher Locked Out
    SOUNDTRACK Singles
  • Options
    This was tough.  One rock album...  

ROCK Black Sabbath Vol 4
    BLUES James Brown Into the Jungle Groove
    JAZZ Jon Spencer Blues Exploision Damage
    COUNTRY Johnny Cash Live at Folsom
    FOLK/ BLUEGRASS Ani DiFranco Living in Clip
    REGGAE/DUB Sublime 40oz to Freedom
    R&B/SOUL/HIP HOP Beastie Boys Pauls Boutique
    CLASSICAL  Benny Goodman Best of
    WORLD MUSIC Marlon Asher Locked Out
    SOUNDTRACK Singles

Yes, very tough!  Good list, by the way!

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,688
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

That's so great that you like Dinosaur Jr, Nancy!  :plus_one: They have a new album coming out sometime this year and I'm stoked!

Another band I promote (I'd love to be their salaried promo guy but I'd take a band pin or coffee mug, haha!) is The Dream Syndicate.  They're another band that's been around a long time (first album came out in 1982!) but never got really big.  Here is a sampling of the three incarnations of the band:

ran across a DS used vinyl today. I can go back if you like....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

ran across a DS used vinyl today. I can go back if you like....
    Nice!  Thank you.  I have all their stuff but that's very kind of you to offer!