Options

One For The Asians!!!

negationistnegationist Posts: 237
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Don't understand the reason but pearl jam never wanna seem to play Asia. The only time i can think of was in 95 when they played a few dates in japan, a few in the philipines, one in thailand and one in singapore. They do go to Japan slightly more often than that, having played in Japan once again in 2003. I mean how can they call this a WORLD TOUR while they clearly are ignoring the Asians, as many people often do. It just seems like Asia, and South East Asia especially, is a part of the world that doesn't exist to Pearl Jam and many other touring bands. Even South America seem to get their fair share of tour dates. And lets not even bring up the argument that Pearl Jam lack fans in that part of the world. If the gigs in 1995 were anything to go by, they would be able to visit twice the number of venues they do on the European leg of this world tour.

I've been a pearl jam fan since I first heard Vitology, circa 1995 (I know I was a late developer but I was only 14 back then and they didn't play too much of Pearl Jam on the radio), and have had to endure years and years of seeing them pass me and the millions of other Asian Pearl Jam fans by year after year. You don't know how painful that was. To hear stories, to watch videos and to read reviews of their albums and gigs and to never once taste th real thing. It's like being told of cakes, biscuits and sweets, being shown pictures of it but never being able to taste it (sorry for the metaphor there). But finally, after remortgaging my house and travelling to Europe, I'll finally get to watch my heroes in action. Some say it'll be worth the wait but I can't help feel that I have missed out on some of the best years of Pearl Jam, Eddies wild theatrics in the early days and so on.

So, all Pearl Jammers out there, spare a moment for your Asian brethren who haven't been lucky enough to attend a Pearl Jam concert but have been waiting patiently ever since the beggining, or thereabouts, and silently supporting our heroes.

A die hard Pearl Jam fan.
If Pearl Jam was a beer, they'd probably be the best beer in the world!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    If Mohammed won't come to the mountain......
  • Options
    Do people always equate Asians and religion?!!??!
  • Options
    manny_81manny_81 Posts: 17
    From The Simpsons episode where they visit China....

Master of Ceremony: There has been an unfortunate change in plans. One of our beloved acrobats have suffered a bullet related incident and will be unable to perform.
    Audience Member 1: This is most shocking!
    Audience Member 2: I will now question everthing! Why doesn't Pearl Jam ever come here?
    So I bid farewell to the Eastern town I never more will see;
    But work I must so I eat this dust and breathe refinery.
    Oh I miss the green and the woods and streams and I don't like cowboy clothes;
    But I like being free and that makes me an idiot I suppose.
  • Options
    Do people always equate Asians and religion?!!??!

who's doing that?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,075
    They should go back to Japan this winter. I will miss out in the European tour and if they play in asia this december I will take a trip over there from Sweden just to see them :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    that they can play in Asia, Japan being the obvious one. But theres loads of other places where they could go, India for example, 1 billion people, i'm sure at least some of them must be Pearl Jam fans!!?? Same goes with China, and loads of other places, don't see why Europe and America get all the fun

And the Simpsons quote was too right, laughed my arse off when i heard it!!!
  • Options
    untitleduntitled Posts: 86
    have they ever played in russia?
    just wanted to dance to bad music
    drive bad cars
    watch bad t.v.
  • Options
    exolsticeexolstice Posts: 85
    They should if they haven't.
  • Options
    mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    hey you got your pearl jam twice, so consider yourself lucky. South Americans have been waiting for almost 15/6 years. so yeah blah. I dont think they will play here in the near future but heck what the hell is not the end of the world you know.

hope they play in asio anytime soon though
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    MariusMarius Posts: 40
    They have never been to Africa
  • Options
    Off I Go.Off I Go. Posts: 204
    My first and only--so far concert was here in Japan and it was BRILLIANT!!!!!
    Sendai 2003 I was so blown away ,They Must come again soon --How about after Australia??????Im always hopeful !!!!!Then a completetion of their northeren european and UK tour next spring!!!Yeah!!!!
    The waiting drove me mad!!!
  • Options
    yotan18yotan18 Posts: 103
    philippines was 11 years ago. what, i was only 11 back then...

i need their love now.

but i do agree... due to their backing off the spot light... some people may not be that excited to see them.

but, i would be there front row, never to seat. sing to all songs (well, might mumble only).

:):D

give us some love!!!
    "The Day of Redemption is at hand! Repent, and thou shall be saved..." - A. Ventura

"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie" - T. Montana
    ---
    "Yeah i know... sounds stupid." Aldrin said.

#18 INC forever
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    ...they would be able to visit twice the number of venues they do on the European leg of this world tour.
    well, there's plenty more places they could play in Europe, they've missed most of the north.

But I do feel for you.. 6 years was bloody long enough!
    ...I'll finally get to watch my heroes in action. Some say it'll be worth the wait but I can't help feel that I have missed out on some of the best years of Pearl Jam, Eddies wild theatrics in the early days and so on.

It will be worth the wait, trust me, it was for me (though I don't have the excuses you have).

re the Mohammed-moutain quote: relax dude, it's just an expression, like if you say 'Oh My God!' or 'For Heaven's sake!' you don't really mean anything religious, it's just an expression.

Where are you from btw? (I travelled a bit around SE Asia).
    And what shows are you coming to?
    And can I say: remortgaging your house (though at least you have one, unlike me), it's dedication!!
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    They've only played Japan twice, the only Asian tour (SE Asia really) was in 95. I guess maybe financially it doesn't work for them, I don;t know how sucessful the 95 tour was but there we're a number of small venues played and the Japan tour in 03 didn;t seem to be that successful. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my impression. Where as in the US, Europe and Australia they can play to 10-15k a night easily.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    wow if pearl jam play india I'm heading straight over there! I'll remortgage my flat if I have to!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019