Options

Hanging guitars on a wall behind speakers. Bad idea?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
Hey all.  I'm nearing the end of my major den rearranging project and have just one potentially difficult decision to make. My listening area in the den is small- about 8 x 10 feet (2.44 x 3.05 meters)- but I have what I think will be a fine set up for listening to my records and CDs. My seating is about mid room and triangulates with the speakers which are set back from the walls about 17 inches (43 cm) from the wall behind and 10 inches (25 cm) from the side. (I know that ideally the speaker should be further from the wall but they are where they will have to be.) Also, the wall behind the stereo and the first 32 inches (81 cm) of the walls to the side of the stereo are carpeted from floor to ceiling (a good use for left over carpeting.)

What I'm in a quandary about is the wall behind the stereo. I had this great plan to hang two electric guitars (one sold body and one semi hollow body Telecaster) to the right side and then a medium sized framed poster and the a dreadnought acoustic guitar to the left. Believe me, this set up would look GREAT! But I went to a lot of trouble to create a good listening space and I'm thinking perhaps the guitars might negatively affect the sound. After going to all this work, I don't want to screw it up now!

Is that far fetched thinking, or maybe not? I'm thinking the acoustic and semi hollow body in particular could resonate some of the sound coming from the speakers and interfere with the balance of their sound. I would hate to go to the trouble of installing guitar hangers (particularly having to find studs behind carpet and wall board), and then finding the guitars mess with the sound.

I suppose I could pull the guitars off the wall every time I want to play a record but that would get old fast, especially with my bad back.

I know this must all sound OCD as all get out, but for most of my life, I didn't pay all that much attention to speaker set up, and now that I'm more or less sort of retired, I'd like to maximize the modest gear I have, and get the most out of it.

Thanks in advance for any thought and suggestions on this!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,973
    edited July 2020
    Are your speakers rear ported? Do you plan on listening at high volume?

Either way, I would do it if it makes sense for spacial and aesthetic reasons. 

You shouldn't have any problems with soundstage and imaging, especially if the walls are lined with carpet. Standing wave interference and phase cancellation would be my biggest concerns but it sounds like you are on the right track with speaker/listener positioning. 

Do it and enjoy the fruits of your hard work!

ETA: Be sure to monitor temperature and humidity in your listening room as too much or too little moisture in the air will affect your guitars woods. Keeping plants in the room can help stabilize the environment and improve air quality. Depending on where you live, seasonal use of a humidifier or dehumidifier may be necessary. (All of this assumes that you plan on playing the guitars.)
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    Hey, Dudeman, thanks for the reply!

My speakers are Polk Audio bookself speakers and they are rear ported toward the bottom.  If I go with my play, the bottom of the guitar will be about 13 to 14 inches above the rear ports.  The speakers are angle in so the rear ports would be aimed about a a spot about 15 inches off the guitar's outside edges.   

As for volume, because of my tinnitus, I have to keep it pretty tame- usually about 20% of maximum on my Marantz PM5005- sometimes a little higher but rarely above 25%.

I went ahead and ordered the other wall mount I need as well as a sound hole plug for the acoustic with the idea that it will lessen any resonating in the hollow body.

Thanks for the other guitar advice.  And I like the idea of plants!  We have them in other rooms but a few in here would be great.  Humidity and temperature are pretty regular in this room (thank goodness!) so that should be OK.  I do play the ones I want on the wall now and then but not often.  My main two guitars will be on floor stands.

Thanks again!  I think I'll do it.  I'll post some photos when the wall mount shows up and I get it all put together.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.