Options

Happy 20th to Katowice II aka the greatest show they ever played!

Okay maybe a bit hyperbolic, but this has been my go-to show since the moment I heard it.  Can't believe it's been 20 years!  Queuing it up now!

Comments

• Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 924
    Release.  Slight of hand. Of the girl. Thin air. First 4 songs.  Was pretty much a club show

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    Maybe not the greatest but in top 20 for sure..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Oh wow, this has always been a favourite, there was such mystique about things back then, less online chatter, more so word of mouth about this great show!
  • Options
    jammerxjammerx Posts: 72
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Wouldve been a great show to have attended.  Wasnt the place half full?
  • Options
    OS38276OS38276 Posts: 16
    it was 3/4 empty, if. not more than that.
    in fact it was so empty that me an some other fans had to sit on mike’s side of the stage.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    What the hell?!
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    First bootleg that I ever bought.  Didn't attend but I've listened to the boot a hundred times, no doubt.  Incredible show!
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,372
    Im too old to read that...
    06/16/00 - Spodek: Katowice, Poland [145m]
    attendance: 3,000 (capacity 8,000)
    support act: Dismemberment Plan
    set: Release, Of The Girl, Sleight of Hand, Thin Air, Insignificance, Grievance, Corduroy, Animal, Hail Hail, State of Love and Trust, Evacuation, Daughter/(ABitW)/(On a Rope), Jeremy, I Got Shit, Light Years, Leatherman, In Hiding, Off He Goes, Dissident, MFC, Habit, Alive
    enc: Smile, Immortality, Black, Leaving Here, Soldier of Love, Last Exit, Soon Forget, Yellow Ledbetter
    notes: [This date was originally scheduled for the Petiofi Csarnock in Budapest, Hungary.]
    Those who showed a ticket stub from the previous night's show could buy a ticket to the second show at half price! The whole band is in a great mood, smiling throughout the show. A special atmosphere is created from the very beginning of the show, making it feel like they are playing right in your living room. Ed fucks up the lyrics and starts directly with "Oh dear dad, can you see me now...", making 'Release' a very short song but still very intense. 'Of The Girl' and then two more slow songs follow, introduced with, "We'll try and take it easy tonight. Let's get through the pretty ones first..." After each song the band gathers in the middle of the stage and discusses what they will play next. Eddie keeps the other band members from changing their instruments a few times. Mike seems to be very tired and introverted during the first few songs, but still interacts very much with the crowd in front of him. Ed catches a bouquet with a note. He reads it and says, "Oh, they're from a guy" -- 'I'll meet you the show.'" He rips the petals off the flowers during 'Sleight of Hand' while the stage is bathed in blue light. The crowd is hypnotized witnessing something special happening on stage as it seemed like they would go on with slow songs forever but then they changed hitting with five unbelievable rocking tracks in a row !!! Ed dons a gas mask during 'Daughter' (hey, it was only a matter of time). 'Daughter' is breathtaking with Mike playing some short riffs from 'Another Brick in the Wall' throughout the whole song. When Ed starts singing the verse, everyone joins in with Ed encouraging them by pointing at his ear several times. He sings, "The shades go down..." through a gas mask that was thrown on stage by a fan. 'On a Rope' is a Rocket From The Crypt song. Ed omits out the first chorus of 'Jeremy' like the "new" version played on previous tours. He introduces 'Light Years' with, "This song is about ... well, you know what it is about. It means a lot to me and I hope that it means a lot to you as well." After the song he adds, "The next song is also about a dead guy," and then they start 'Leatherman.' Before 'Off He Goes' Ed says, "That's a little song about friendship. About a friend that is an asshole". Then he points his finger at himself saying quietly that he is an asshole. The audience responds: "Noooooo!". Ed catches a t-shirt during 'Alive' and blindfolds his eyes with it throughout half the song. Mike catches a rose and attaches it to his guitar. The audience yells "Smile, smile" between the songs, and they play it as the encore opener. 'Black' and 'Immortality' are just magical, first with Ed burning the cork of his wine bottle and painting his face and arms with it and then the whole band lining up in front of Matt during the end of 'Immortality,' letting everyone see what a great time they are having and how much they still enjoy playing music together. After 'Soldier of Love,' the audience does the "cha-cha-cha" thing from the single and it makes Ed laugh. Ed manages to convince every fan to be silent during 'Soon Forget,' although they start quietly singing along with Ed. Mike tags some of Van Halen's 'Dance the Night Away' onto 'YL.' Ed takes the usual polaroids of the first row and takes one picture of himself which he throws off the stage right in the hand of some lucky fan. The setlist was modified as they played this amazing show.
  • Options
    Sounds like a special night!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I have this on CD because when they released the 2000 boots some of them were stamped as being the best ones, and were easier to find.   The Euro tour came out first, and your swimming in all these live albums, so this one being marked as one of the best has be buy it.  I quite like it.

I had no idea it was played to a mostly empty venue.   The fans that were there must of been amazing.    I wonder why it was over half empty.   I guess they played more shows back then, so t was before the peak of fans travelling to see fewer shows.

Even at full attendance it's crazy they were playing an 8000 seater.  The same tour I saw them play in Boise to around 10000.    We don't see venues that small anymore unless it's a one off or warmup?

• Options
    The text above says it was a show on short notice and the date was supposed to be in Budapest 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    raforafo Posts: 75
    anyone know why the budapest show was canceled?

• Options
    Was it something to do with difficulty getting their trucks and gear into the country.  

• Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    I randomly bought this bootleg back when they were released in stores on CD for that tour. Loved the setlist and picked it up along with the shows I attended, and this is probably the one I go back and revisit the most. Just a fun show.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022