Homeland

1222324252628»

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Yooooooooo
    Binged the last 4 episodes and finished the finale last night. Season in total was real good. Second half was stronger than the first. That finale was really perfect though. I absolutely loved how it ended, it's almost as if the show came full circle.

I was arguing with my buddy via text last night who was saying its a top 5 show ever. I think that is nonsense. While the first season was one of the best single season's of tv I've ever seen, the rest were hit or miss. There were some really, really good seasons while some were way too over the top and unbelievable to be considered upper echelon television. Most were really entertaining though.

He was arguing that it's tough to keep a show great for 8 seasons and I agree with that. Most of the shows that I consider the all time greats didn't go longer than 5 or 6 seasons. So gotta give Homeland a lot of credit for still putting out a quality highly entertaining show for that amount of time. I'm going to miss it. Again--that ending was perfect.
    I really liked this season.  I'd have to think back about first half vs. second half of the season, but overall enjoyed it.  The thing I have been able to successfully do is almost separate the first two seasons from everything after. Before and after Brody, almost as two separate shows.  It has really helped me enjoy everything after season 2 probably.  The Brody story was amazing, but it was a completely different show than the next 6 seasons (not sure if I am getting all the timing correct, but you get the point).  After that it became a more homeland security/CIA show of sorts.  The thing that I always really liked about it is that it always stayed topical and had a fictional show on TV about the current events of that time.  Everything from refugees in Europe/Syria and Russian propaganda to this season the Afghan peace talks were playing out in real life as they were on TV, obviously two very different stories, but still.  I always thought that was pretty cool and made it interesting.

A lot of it was unbelievable and the Carrie drama was always a bit annoying.  I am pretty certain there are a lot more than 5 shows better than it, but I would say outside of the big 3 (and Parks and Rec), it is the one I was most dedicated to.  Definitely agree how long it went and how hard that is.

Mild spoiler...I loved the ending too. Absolutely nailed it, even though I was pretty pissed off for the majority of the show.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    just found out this show ended last night.  can't believe so many people still watch it.  I gave up like 4 seasons ago.  Next I'm going to find out that Ray Donovan (another terrible show) is still on the air

most shows hang on for too long -- homeland was a prime example.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Yooooooooo
    Binged the last 4 episodes and finished the finale last night. Season in total was real good. Second half was stronger than the first. That finale was really perfect though. I absolutely loved how it ended, it's almost as if the show came full circle.

I was arguing with my buddy via text last night who was saying its a top 5 show ever. I think that is nonsense. While the first season was one of the best single season's of tv I've ever seen, the rest were hit or miss. There were some really, really good seasons while some were way too over the top and unbelievable to be considered upper echelon television. Most were really entertaining though.

He was arguing that it's tough to keep a show great for 8 seasons and I agree with that. Most of the shows that I consider the all time greats didn't go longer than 5 or 6 seasons. So gotta give Homeland a lot of credit for still putting out a quality highly entertaining show for that amount of time. I'm going to miss it. Again--that ending was perfect.
    I really liked this season.  I'd have to think back about first half vs. second half of the season, but overall enjoyed it.  The thing I have been able to successfully do is almost separate the first two seasons from everything after. Before and after Brody, almost as two separate shows.  It has really helped me enjoy everything after season 2 probably.  The Brody story was amazing, but it was a completely different show than the next 6 seasons (not sure if I am getting all the timing correct, but you get the point).  After that it became a more homeland security/CIA show of sorts.  The thing that I always really liked about it is that it always stayed topical and had a fictional show on TV about the current events of that time.  Everything from refugees in Europe/Syria and Russian propaganda to this season the Afghan peace talks were playing out in real life as they were on TV, obviously two very different stories, but still.  I always thought that was pretty cool and made it interesting.

A lot of it was unbelievable and the Carrie drama was always a bit annoying.  I am pretty certain there are a lot more than 5 shows better than it, but I would say outside of the big 3 (and Parks and Rec), it is the one I was most dedicated to.  Definitely agree how long it went and how hard that is.

Mild spoiler...I loved the ending too. Absolutely nailed it, even though I was pretty pissed off for the majority of the show.
    Well said about its longevity. Same with the Sopranos. 

Love how the end turned out, and the tie-ins to previous events (is, being incapacitated but managing to say “fuck you” to the once-trusted, Brody’s I am Not a Terrorist speech etc.).

Ray is still running, but I just couldn’t get into it after the season where Abby died. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    hedonist said:
    Yooooooooo

Love how the end turned out, and the tie-ins to previous events (is, being incapacitated but managing to say “fuck you” to the once-trusted, Brody’s I am Not a Terrorist speech etc.).

Ray is still running, but I just couldn’t get into it after the season where Abby died. 
    "Go fuck yourself"

haha....Loved that moment. What an intense 5-10 minutes there huh? That was crazy
    chinese-happy.jpg
    hedonist said:
    Yooooooooo

"Go fuck yourself"

haha....Loved that moment. What an intense 5-10 minutes there huh? That was crazy
    I’m a bit pissed that I was ready to cry in those few minutes. 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,842
    Fitting finish to a great series! On to something else. I’m thinking Better Call Saul. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Last episode tonight!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i gotta be honest....i found the last couple episodes kind of....unbelievable. yeah, i know, "suspension of belief for entertainment" and all that, but come on, how many times would saul honestly trust carrie after everything she's done? i'm not going to make specific comments for spoiler reasons, but it just seemed so....hokey. 
    those few minutes with saul on the bed WERE intense, however. 

and why does it only take everyone on this show like an hour to fly to and from the middle east all the time? lol

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i gotta be honest....i found the last couple episodes kind of....unbelievable. yeah, i know, "suspension of belief for entertainment" and all that, but come on, how many times would saul honestly trust carrie after everything she's done? i'm not going to make specific comments for spoiler reasons, but it just seemed so....hokey. 
    those few minutes with saul on the bed WERE intense, however. 

and why does it only take everyone on this show like an hour to fly to and from the middle east all the time? lol

Haha.....this is true.

How about Saul, the National Security Advisor, always risking his life in these foreign countries too? Could you imagine John Bolton doing that shit?  hahaha.....

It's entertaining as well and most season were really good. But yeah a lot this show is fantasyland stuff. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Ha ha, the woman on the toilet scene who takes Carrie's bag is Greek and we went school together!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

23scidoo said:
    Ha ha, the woman on the toilet scene who takes Carrie's bag is Greek and we went school together!!
    Tell us more...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    23scidoo said:
    Tell us more...
    Did ya get very far?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    23scidoo said:
    Tell us more...
    Did ya get very far?
    She was with another guy at school days..lol..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I miss Brody's wife. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I miss Brody's wife. 
    Not quite the same, I know...
     https://youtu.be/VhX50qudWu4
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,842
    I miss Brody's wife. 
    Agreed! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    I was avoiding this thread since I just finished the finale tonight. But you all were good about not giving away too many spoilers. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I miss Brody's wife. 
    i kept seeing these ads on my facebook feed for some dating site. the picture of the woman looked so familiar, but for the longest time couldn't place it. 

i figured out it was brody's wife. 

i miss her too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Finally got around to watching the final season over the past week.  It felt like a fitting ending for Carrie.  The whole thing with Saul having a source inside the Kremlin felt very rushed.  Felt like they could have used that storyline for a whole season or 2.  Overall it turned into a solid spy show but as usual with any successful Showtime show it went a couple seasons too long (Dexter, Ray Donovan, Shameless).  That first season is still one of the best single TV seasons of all time.
    I'm on Season 3 of my re-watch.  Such a fine show.
    hedonist said:
    Really? 3 was pretty weak, if I remember correctly. Was Brody still there or was he hung at the end of 2?

If I were to re-watch, I think I would stick to season 1. Really enjoyed the show, for the most part, but I'm not sure it is totally re-watch worthy.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    hedonist said:
    Really? 3 was pretty weak, if I remember correctly. Was Brody still there or was he hung at the end of 2?

If I were to re-watch, I think I would stick to season 1. Really enjoyed the show, for the most part, but I'm not sure it is totally re-watch worthy.

Pretty sure they stretched Brody into season 3 which was just painful to watch.  Seasons 1 and 2 would definitely be worth a re-watch I'd think.  
    hedonist said:

My bad - season 4. Her meds were just switched by that weak POS.

Season one was my favorite, but I haven’t re-watched it all in full in years. Cool to see stuff I missed the first time around, plus now knowing the parts certain people played. 
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    Just finished the whole thing for my first run-through. Overall quality entertainment. Seasons 1-2 were fantastic, but I thought it was stupid to keep Brody alive for one more season just to have him hang anyway. 

The Germany/Allison season was good too. I felt it went a little off the rails with the presidential crackdown season and then got back on track.

Mostly this show made me wonder exactly how much shit the US gets involved in as a result of human error, lying, jockeying for positions of power, etc. 

The whole premise that someone as reckless as Carrie would keep getting called back for employment, well . . . at some point the show has to end. I thought it ended well.