Options

How do you define "No justice, no peace"?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
This is a common phrase heard frequently lately for obvious reasons.  What I'm wondering is, what does this phrase mean?  It seems to me it can be interpreted in at least a few ways.  What it implies is that until there is justice, protest cannot happen in a peaceful manner.  And yet, many who protest (and this is my way of reacting) do so in an emphatic but peaceful manner.  It seems that the vast majority of protester desire peaceful protest.  But the phrase "no justice, no peace", would suggest otherwise.

It's easy to throw a phrase out, but I believe language should be precise and its intention specific.  So I find the ambiguity of the phrase a bit unsettling.

Thoughts?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    I read it differently. I believe that it means until there is justice, there is no true and honest peace, because the injustice is always simmering there, even if it’s below the surface. 

I don’t believe that it means there can be no peaceful protest. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Looked at a slightly different way, it means that there will be no peace (and quiet) until justice is achieved, ie no end to righteous protest. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    What often said. 
  • Options
    Looked at a slightly different way, it means that there will be no peace (and quiet) until justice is achieved, ie no end to righteous protest. 
    I like that definition, thanks.
    hedonist said:
    What often said. 
    Ditto.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    A change is gonna come...

It's been a long time coming
  • Options

I sincerely hope so.

We said the same thing in the 60's, 50-55 years ago.  A friend of mine recently said to me, "Weren't we supposed to change all this?"  Or like the lady with the poster said, "I'm 68 and still protesting this shit?" 

We were going to change the world.  Some of us kept at it.  A lot of us didn't.   Admittedly, some things changed.  It's not as big a stigma being gay as it was then.  But a lot of shit hasn't changed nearly enough.  Racism still runs strong, women are still paid less, the hardest workers still make the least, and the planet is still being harshly abused.

I hope genx'ers, millennials genz'ers, maintain their commitments and efforts to create change.  I hope they fair better at making it happen.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,050
    I agree with the interpretations here. Justin Amash spoke about this recently:

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    pjl44 said:
    I agree with the interpretations here. Justin Amash spoke about this recently:

👍
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I sincerely hope so.

We said the same thing in the 60's, 50-55 years ago.  A friend of mine recently said to me, "Weren't we supposed to change all this?"  Or like the lady with the poster said, "I'm 68 and still protesting this shit?" 

We were going to change the world.  Some of us kept at it.  A lot of us didn't.   Admittedly, some things changed.  It's not as big a stigma being gay as it was then.  But a lot of shit hasn't changed nearly enough.  Racism still runs strong, women are still paid less, the hardest workers still make the least, and the planet is still being harshly abused.

I hope genx'ers, millennials genz'ers, maintain their commitments and efforts to create change.  I hope they fair better at making it happen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyhL0ioST_U
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I sincerely hope so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyhL0ioST_U

Such a great singer that Sam Cooke!  But again, so much time, so little change.  I can't believe I'm almost 69 and still protesting so much of this shit!