Options

P65 CA Warning Label

Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
I'm starting to notice these warnings start showing up on a few purchases as of late ...

The first time was a week ago when I got a fuel filter part for a Kubota off road vehicle.  Just a little piece of molded plastic with a big warning on it telling me to go to P65warnings.ca.gov.  Then this morning I'm looking for an air compressor for my garage and there is a warning which I'm assuming will warn me about this compressor potentially blowing up in my face, but no, it was a a P65 warning that the air compressor will give me cancer.

I'm assuming these will start showing up on Snicker bars before the end of the year.  

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    its not about the filter directly, but the fuel that goes through it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I can think of few products that aren’t known to the state of California to cause cancer anymore.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    I'm not sure.  The Kubota package did have some text above the warning with an asterik that said "Following warning is applicable if you live in California" which I found humorous and I took as a gentle nod from Kubota basically saying there is no possible way to get cancer from this.

The air compressor I was looking at was a little $100 electric model, so that takes any harm from a fuel source out of the equation for issuing a warning.  Maybe if you scrape all the paint off the compressor and then spread the paint chippings over a peanut butter sandwich, then maybe the PA65 warning is applicable.  Maybe.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I'm not sure.  The Kubota package did have some text above the warning with an asterik that said "Following warning is applicable if you live in California" which I found humorous and I took as a gentle nod from Kubota basically saying there is no possible way to get cancer from this.

The air compressor I was looking at was a little $100 electric model, so that takes any harm from a fuel source out of the equation for issuing a warning.  Maybe if you scrape all the paint off the compressor and then spread the paint chippings over a peanut butter sandwich, then maybe the PA65 warning is applicable.  Maybe.
    there is small amount of oil in those....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ICDragonsICDragons Posts: 39
    I see those labels on everything here in WA state. 

Thank god I don’t live in CA. 😉

Seriously though. How does CA get off selling so much stuff that knowingly causes cancer. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Jason P said:
    mickeyrat said:

well, yes indeed there is.  whoa.  talk about splitting hairs on safety.  

So to our friends looking out for our safety in Cali ... Somebody has to realize that no one pays attention to car alarms or back up beepers anymore because if humans reacted to a beeper warning every time you heard it then civilization would walk around like a bunch of jumpy cats in most urban areas.  Guys on construction sites would be doing shoulder rolls and diving for cover every 15 seconds of the day if you properly heeded a beep warning on a JLG lift.

If you put a warning on everything that isn't dangerous then at some point the human mind no longer sees it as a warning.  And if you put the same warning on a model airplane that you do on the toxic waste barrels in RoboCop, it kinda becomes Cali safety's fault when a 7 year old can't discern the true danger the between the two items with the exact same warning.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Jason P said:
    mickeyrat said:

well, yes indeed there is.  whoa.  talk about splitting hairs on safety.  

So to our friends looking out for our safety in Cali ... Somebody has to realize that no one pays attention to car alarms or back up beepers anymore because if humans reacted to a beeper warning every time you heard it then civilization would walk around like a bunch of jumpy cats in most urban areas.  Guys on construction sites would be doing shoulder rolls and diving for cover every 15 seconds of the day if you properly heeded a beep warning on a JLG lift.

If you put a warning on everything that isn't dangerous then at some point the human mind no longer sees it as a warning.  And if you put the same warning on a model airplane that you do on the toxic waste barrels in RoboCop, it kinda becomes Cali safety's fault when a 7 year old can't discern the true danger the between the two items with the exact same warning.
    At seven, it’s the parents’ job.

What about alcohol and tobacco? Hell, those are considered essential!

I do believe many of these warnings are due to ridiculous lawsuits, hence the CYA-ing. 
  • Options
    yeah, i kinda feel like an old man yelling at the clouds.  But, you know those giant bright yellow warnings that are heat-seared into your visors in your car?  How long before the outside of your gas tank on your car is a bright yellow warning?  I'd say ten years tops in Cali and probably another five years before all manufactures adopt it as a standard.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    static111 said:
    I can think of few products that aren’t known to the state of California to cause cancer anymore.

Say what?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I hear ya. Less common sense = more of these “duh” warnings. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Say what?
    Ain’t too many products out there not known to cause cancer By the state of California doncha know
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Say what?
    Ain’t too many products out there not known to cause cancer By the state of California doncha know

I'm from California and I believe we as a people (as well as our legislators) are at least aware of cancer causing agents as any one in any other place.  Your post is confusing!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited May 2020
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Say what?

I'm from California and I believe we as a people (as well as our legislators) are at least aware of cancer causing agents as any one in any other place.  Your post is confusing!
    I’m saying 

there are few products on the market today that Don’t have a p65 warning on them

In other words

i think California is the state most aware of potential cancer causing agents
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Say what?

I’m saying 

there are few products on the market today that Don’t have a p65 warning on them

In other words

Ah, I get it.  Sorry.  Sometimes I am La tête de bois!  :lol: 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Say what?

I’m saying 

In other words

better watch that, Ca says it can give you cancer....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Say what?

I’m saying 

In other words

better watch that, Ca says it can give you cancer....

LOL.  Ah, but not all blockhead are as dull as I sometimes am!

And as far as cancer goes, too late!  But at least it's only skin cancer thus far, and thankfully, benign. :smile:

• Options
    Well I have been told by others on AMT that I don’t always communicate clearly
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    Well I have been told by others on AMT that I don’t always communicate clearly

Not to worry- I've done worse.