Options

Help needed - Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland 1968 Canadian Printing - Not in Disc Dogs

JV267526JV267526 Posts: 195
edited April 2020 in Other Music
Hi,
I was wondering if any here could help me with any info on a Canadian printed version of the Jimi Hendrix Experience album Electric Ladyland. I looked through all of the versions on Disc Dogs to identify mine and to my surprise, although there was a variation that was almost the same, it was not there. There were 11 different Canadian versions of the LP over the years, but none of them were identical to mine. The run out info on each side of the record was different to that of any of them (only could find same runout on a US version from 1968) with some scratching out on one and rewriting on another, and the printing on the label was slightly different. You will notice in comparing it with the linked one in Disc Dogs, at the bottom of each label it reads: "Manufactured and distributed in Canada by Warner Bros. Records of Canada Ltd."  In the Disc Dogs version it reads: "Manufactured and distributed in Canada by Warner Bros. - Seven Arts Records of Canada Ltd." As well the layout of some of the writing in the gatefold is different. The part that is different is the Manufactured and Distributed part to the right of where his signature is. See pictures below. What was also weird I thought was that the backside of Side A is Side D and Side B and Side C are on the other record. My record is the 2 RS 6307 version. It has a tri-colour label.

I am trying to figure out if this a rare misprinted record that is worth something, or something common.
Thought it was weird it wasn't in Disco Dogs.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jordan.

The run out etchings are as follows
Side A: 30799 2RS 6307A -1D
Side B: 30800 2RS 6307(SCRATCHED OUT PART I CAN'T READ) 1B
Side C: 30801 2RS 6307 0C(0C IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE, ETCHED OVER SOMETHING) -1B
Side D 30802 2RS 6307D - 1G (Side D is on the back of Side A record)

The version that it is closest to is the one linked below, and the images there can be compared with mine below.
https://www.discogs.com/The-Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Electric-Ladyland/release/5638503

The link below filters all the Canadian versions.
https://www.discogs.com/The-Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Electric-Ladyland/master/24535?country=Canada&filter=true&label=157

Post edited by JV267526 on

Comments

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Matt Vaughan at Easy Street Records will know. I picked up a second US pressing of EL there a couple of years ago, and Matt was able to date Reprise pressings just by looking at the labels. mailto:matt@easystreetonline.com
  • Options
    I should add that it was common in the late sixties to stick side D on the reverse of side A and side C on the reverse of side B (second disc). The Track Records (UK) EL is like this, as is The Who's Tommy.
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Nice!!
    its too bad that most Canadian presses of anything are worth nothing.
    maybe you a gem tho. Good luck
  • Options
    Matt Vaughan at Easy Street Records will know. I picked up a second US pressing of EL there a couple of years ago, and Matt was able to date Reprise pressings just by looking at the labels. mailto:matt@easystreetonline.com
    Thanks for the tip, and the contact info.
  • Options
    Here's a thread I just found, which isn't too cohesive but does contain some useful info on the old A/D, B/C double album layout:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/double-albums-with-side-1-side-4-when-did-this-stop.337592/
  • Options
    Thanks for the link.