Options

Anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds

We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
Hi.

Is anyone willing to share what, if anything, they take? Does it work/help?

I'm having a very hard time with the end of my relationship, which took place right as isolation started. I'm trying to dig out of the hole I'm in.

I'm going to see a therapist, but I'm leery of meds.

I appreciate any input/advice anyone gives.

Thanks.

Andrew
If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    Hi.

Is anyone willing to share what, if anything, they take? Does it work/help?

I'm having a very hard time with the end of my relationship, which took place right as isolation started. I'm trying to dig out of the hole I'm in.

I'm going to see a therapist, but I'm leery of meds.

I appreciate any input/advice anyone gives.

Thanks.

Andrew
    Hi Andrew, I am sorry you are going through this. I went through a horrific breakup about 9 years ago that I thought I would never get over. I am not a person that suffers from depression or anxiety - so this was a really new issue for me at the time. Not to sound all new agey (since that is pretty much the opposite of what I am like) - but the only thing that brought me back to life was when I started doing yoga. After about 2 months of wallowing - I took my first yoga class and immediately felt better. I started going regularly, and 9 years later still go at least once if not twice a week to a yoga class. It really helped then, and it helps now. Of course, I haven't been able to go since COVID-19 took over our world. However, my yoga studio offers video classes through Zoom. I can't stress enough how much yoga or other exercise (running, etc) can help, especially if you want to avoid meds. Anyway, stay strong. I completely understand how you are feeling right now. PM me if you want more information on yoga. Perhaps, I can help.

• Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    I definitely agree with the yoga and exercise suggestion. It does make a world of difference. My other advice is be very open with your doctor, ask lots of questions, research everything before you take it. You know your body better than anyone else. Best of luck to you. 
  • Options
    I definitely agree with the yoga and exercise suggestion. It does make a world of difference. My other advice is be very open with your doctor, ask lots of questions, research everything before you take it. You know your body better than anyone else. Best of luck to you. 

Thank you. I appreciate the insight. Gonna give exercise, yoga, and therapy a try.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    I'm so sorry to hear about your woes, We All Believe.
    I was on Serzone for a few years before it was taken off the market.  After that, I decided to go it without meds because I had to try three or four different meds before I found the one that worked and didn't want to go through the process again.   A meds trial and error period is not uncommon because different meds work differently for different people.  I've known people who say Prozac saved theirs life but for me, it almost literally killed me (partly due to that particular med's effect on me, partly because I had a horrible doc who just kept saying "take more each day until it works.  He was later booted out of our county.) 
    One alternative that was suggested for me was BuSpar.   I've heard a number of good reports about that one.  Just remember, not all meds work the same for everyone.  I would also suggest that for many of us. meds are best used to get us over a hurdle and then finding other coping methods (Yoga and exercise as RogueStoner suggested are excellent) and learning ways to actively move forward in your life.
    Reaching out like you have is a great first step, especially here because there is much good support to be found here by so many good folks who post here!
    Best wishes to you and hang in there.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I was on Serzone for a few years before it was taken off the market.  After that, I decided to go it without meds because I had to try three or four different meds before I found the one that worked and didn't want to go through the process again.   A meds trial and error period is not uncommon because different meds work differently for different people.  I've known people who say Prozac saved theirs life but for me, it almost literally killed me (partly due to that particular med's effect on me, partly because I had a horrible doc who just kept saying "take more each day until it works.  He was later booted out of our county.) 
    One alternative that was suggested for me was BuSpar.   I've heard a number of good reports about that one.  Just remember, not all meds work the same for everyone.  I would also suggest that for many of us. meds are best used to get us over a hurdle and then finding other coping methods (Yoga and exercise as RogueStoner suggested are excellent) and learning ways to actively move forward in your life.
    Reaching out like you have is a great first step, especially here because there is much good support to be found here by so many good folks who post here!

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I appreciate it a great deal.

I am ready to try almost anything. I am tired of being sad.

And thank you for the kind words. I hope you are doing well.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I appreciate it a great deal.

I am ready to try almost anything. I am tired of being sad.

And thank you for the kind words. I hope you are doing well.

Thank you as well, W.E.B.  
    Another suggestion I've often heard and helps me at times is doing some Yoga/ deep breathing.  I find it especially helpful when I feel anxiety coming on but also helps with depression.  There are some differences in methods but what I do is breath slowly and deeply through the nose into the lower lungs, then continuing upward into the lungs and upward into the top  of the lungs while slowly raising the  shoulders.  Hold the breath for a five count and then exhale slowly through the mouth.  The air is said to be cleansed some while taken in through the nostrils and by breathing out through the mouth, it lets the used air and toxins flow out of your body.  It sounds a bit new age-y but I think it really does help.

Hang in there and keep us posted. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Thanks for posting the breathing technique @brianlux. It’s something I always struggle with (deep breathing, relaxing). 

• Options
    Thanks for posting the breathing technique @brianlux. It’s something I always struggle with (deep breathing, relaxing). 

I'm good at it... but not always so good at remembering to do it!  Good reminder, thanks!  :smile: 

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    These meditations are all free. Discovered them the other night. They're pretty good. 

https://m.kp.org/health-wellness/podcasts/emotional-wellness
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited May 2020
    I am very sorry to hear about your breakup. I know very well how totally devastating that can be. When I went through a trauma, where the pain was acute, Ativan was a good option just to take when my emotions got out of control in the moment, so that I could just be calm enough to function. This is NOT a medication that should be taken regularly - more meant for the difficult moments. 1 pill or maybe 2 in a pinch per day is the most one should take, as needed. Preferably not everyday. It can be habit forming, and that's why it should be used responsibly to calm down your nerves when they get out of control (I.e. extreme times of upset/anxiety/inability to sleep or calm down) until you're through the tough days and time starts to heal you.

I agree that there are many other tools you can use to get through this, aside from medication, but also believe that medication can be very helpful to take you to a place where you're more in control, just as long as you are cognizant of the risks, and feel that you're able to safely use the med without abusing it. I know I was perfectly capable of this when I needed, and soon enough, it became unnecessary.

At this point I wouldn't think you need an antidepressant that is meant for more long term use, unless you struggled with depression or anxiety before the break up.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata