2023 CHICAGO BEARS

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    My money is on Brady going to the Chargers.
    Little chance he re-signs with NE.
    Zero chance he would sign in Chicago.  

Bears have a horrible OL.  He can't run so I'm pretty sure Brady would actually die if he played in Chicago.  That and it's cold.  Old man + cold...nope.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    While I agree on a 0% chance of him ending up in Chicago, I do not buy the "old man" reasoning. Dude's been playing is career in NE cold. He's okay with it. At this point, he would have a distinct advantage (all other factors being equal) in cold weather. 

All that said, I think there is less of a chance that he ends up in SD than he does of ending up in Chicago. And finally, I think there is a 99% chance he continues on as QB for the Pat's in 2020.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    edited January 2020
    You can put all your Chicago Bears offensive worries behind you now. Our problems are solved!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001096543/article/bears-hiring-exbengals-oc-bill-lazor-as-their-oc

Dude couldn't cut it with the friggin Bengals where failure is expected. Then spent this season out of football. So....the Bears say "that's our guy!".

Classic Bears right there. Sometimes I like to really hate the bears in the worst of ways. Here the Packers are in the NFC Championship  and the idiot bears organization goes and makes a move like this.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Nagy is essentially the offensive coordinator and calls all the plays so it's really not that desirable of a position.  No team is going to get a big name to come and be the offensive coordinator with that setup.  Something like this is the least of the worries when it comes to the Bears right now.
  • chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696

- Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
    Nagy is essentially the offensive coordinator and calls all the plays so it's really not that desirable of a position.  No team is going to get a big name to come and be the offensive coordinator with that setup.  Something like this is the least of the worries when it comes to the Bears right now.
    I agree that the Bears OC position isn't a priority for well known OCs seeing that Nagy controls everything.  Knowing this, the only thing I want out of an OC....any OC...is them cleaning up the bullshit that is the Bears offense.  You know...being an actual COACH.  The offensive line isn't overly talented, but they make soooo many mistakes and their technique is horrendous.  I hate the Patriots and Belichick, but I admire the coaching on that team.  Mistakes are unacceptable on that team and it shows.  You're a professional, and if you're not doing your job, you won't play on his team.  I also enjoyed watching that Chiefs-Texans game.  I noticed the Chiefs running at least 5-6 different plays the Bears run on a regular basis.  The exact Andy Reid/Matt Nagy plays they came up with in 2018...the exact ones the Bears would run 15x per game.  The biggest difference, the Chiefs executed them perfectly and they worked.  Blockers in the right spot, the timing executed perfectly, guys running the right routes...makes a big difference.  This, once again, comes down to coaching.  

I do think Lazor is just a guy to fill the role though.  Nagy won't give him any responsibility or say as he thinks his system works.  Lazor might end up being the pre-determined fall guy for 2020 as well.  
    mca47 said:
    I agree that the Bears OC position isn't a priority for well known OCs seeing that Nagy controls everything.  Knowing this, the only thing I want out of an OC....any OC...is them cleaning up the bullshit that is the Bears offense.  You know...being an actual COACH.  The offensive line isn't overly talented, but they make soooo many mistakes and their technique is horrendous.  I hate the Patriots and Belichick, but I admire the coaching on that team.  Mistakes are unacceptable on that team and it shows.  You're a professional, and if you're not doing your job, you won't play on his team.  I also enjoyed watching that Chiefs-Texans game.  I noticed the Chiefs running at least 5-6 different plays the Bears run on a regular basis.  The exact Andy Reid/Matt Nagy plays they came up with in 2018...the exact ones the Bears would run 15x per game.  The biggest difference, the Chiefs executed them perfectly and they worked.  Blockers in the right spot, the timing executed perfectly, guys running the right routes...makes a big difference.  This, once again, comes down to coaching.  

I do think Lazor is just a guy to fill the role though.  Nagy won't give him any responsibility or say as he thinks his system works.  Lazor might end up being the pre-determined fall guy for 2020 as well.  
    The fact that the Chiefs have one of the best QBs in the league doesn't hurt either.  And they actually have some real speed at the skill positions.  But yeah, the whole offense was very sloppy all year

I'd assume Lazor will have a focus on the running game like Helfrich did.  Hopefully him and the new OL coach can come up with some ways to improve the run game because it was a complete disaster last year.
    So long Leonard Floyd.  Another 1st round bust for Ryan Pace.  Robert Quinn is a huge upgrade over Floyd, but none of this really matters unless they upgrade at QB.  
    Well looks like there will be an actual QB competition this year.  Really wanted them to get Bridgewater but Foles isn't too bad of an option either.  I'm just glad that they are actually doing something and not coming into the season with Mitch being the guy with no competition.
    I'm sure they'll do well in the draft too....
     ;) 

Sorry, I'm an exceptionally pessimistic Bears fan at this point. I mean, I could say "it's great they have Foles now!" but I think more like "they shouldn't be in a position to have needed to go get Foles."
    Hasn't Foles lost out the starting job on every team he's played on?
    So, I guess we'll see Trub starting next year.  
    mca47 said:

Dude is a Super Bowl MVP with a 2:1 career TD/INT ratio.  Trubisky is still learning how to read defenses going into his 4th year in the league.  Give me Foles over Trubisky any day of the week.  I don't think Foles is going to turn into Tom Brady or anything, but he's a much better option than Trubisky at this point.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    mca47 said:

Dude is a Super Bowl MVP with a 2:1 career TD/INT ratio.  Trubisky is still learning how to read defenses going into his 4th year in the league.  Give me Foles over Trubisky any day of the week.  I don't think Foles is going to turn into Tom Brady or anything, but he's a much better option than Trubisky at this point.
    ...I think he'll settle for defeating Tom Brady in Super Bowl...

chinese-happy.jpg
    mca47 said:

...I think he'll settle for defeating Tom Brady in Super Bowl...

Well played...
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    10 TE.....
    Kmet pick seems like it's a bit of a reach.  Obviously TE is an issue but would have much rather seen them go for an offensive lineman with one of the 2nd round picks. Johnson sounds like a solid pick and a guy who can start right away.  We'll see what they do today...
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, and I have no real clue about football. But, is the draft still happening or something? I would have thought that there was nothing going on with any of the teams while the coronavirus situation is unfolding. There's no sports whatsoever happening here.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    They still say they think they will play the upcoming season (would start in the fall) and so they are doing their entry draft.
    Everything is remote.... actually more interesting to watch than normal draft and there are no other real sports on so it smashed record ratings for round 1.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Interesting draft to say the least. Not addressing the O line concerns me for a team that was near the bottom in rushing offense last year. Play calling contributed to that, but I thought we had to go OL with one of our first two picks. 
    Would have been cool to have Ted Ginn 7 years ago.  But the dude still has some serious speed which is something the Bears were lacking big time.  And I like the move for Tashaun Gipson at safety....should pair up nicely with Eddie Jackson back there.  This defense is going to be nasty.
    Would have been cool to have Ted Ginn 7 years ago.  But the dude still has some serious speed which is something the Bears were lacking big time.  And I like the move for Tashaun Gipson at safety....should pair up nicely with Eddie Jackson back there.  This defense is going to be nasty.
    I like Gipson, but if you look back, we could have (should have) just kept Amos and avoided the rotating door at the position.  Ginn won't see the field much in my opinion.  Gabriel was a burner too, albeit a much smaller version and not Ginn level speed.  I just don't see a whole lot of moves I like out of Pace so far, but that is expected.

• elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    Chicago, where receivers go to die. I think Muhammad said that years ago. 
    Chicago, where receivers go to die. I think Muhammad said that years ago. 
    LOL  Sad but true. 

bbiggs said:
    I like Gipson, but if you look back, we could have (should have) just kept Amos and avoided the rotating door at the position.  Ginn won't see the field much in my opinion.  Gabriel was a burner too, albeit a much smaller version and not Ginn level speed.  I just don't see a whole lot of moves I like out of Pace so far, but that is expected.

If they kept Amos and paid him like GB did, then they wouldn't have had the money to lock up Eddie Jackson long term.  Amos was decent but he definitely benefitted playing next to one of the best safeties in the league.  And I did love the move of essentially replacing Leonard Floyd with Robert Quinn for a similar cap hit.  Another 1st round disappointment in Floyd but at least they aren't forcing it and keeping him around for $14M.

Gabriel was pretty good when he could actually stay on the field.  Between Ginn and this Mooney guy that they drafted, will be nice to see some real speed at WR.  As much as Pace has fucked up early round picks, he has hit on quite a few late round guys that have contributed right away.  Hopefully that is the case with Mooney and some of these other later round picks.
    At least we didn’t pick up Mitch’s 5th year. Good move. 
    Finally, a Pace move I am happy about. Been awhile since the trade for Mack.
    Crazy story about everything Kyle Long went through past few years.  He's definitely one of my favorite Bears of all time.  Article summed it up perfectly that he's a 'freakin' warrior'.  And if you don't subscribe to The Athletic, you absolutely should.  Best sports website out there and no horrible ads all over the place.

https://theathletic.com/1825706/2020/05/21/a-freakin-warrior-at-30-kyle-long-carries-the-scars-of-his-bears-career/

Wow.  I was ready for Foles to start week 2 going into the 4th quarter.  Impressive performance by Mitch in the 4th.  Was nice to see the running game get going a little bit too.  The Lions are really good at finding ways to lose games...Patricia will be lucky to make it through the season.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Patricia will be lucky to make it through the season.
    I think he's the first firing this season.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Football!!!!