Options

increasing health insurance premiums

MelzombieMelzombie Charleston, SC Posts: 200
My boss just told everyone this morning that our (already expensive) health insurance premiums are going up 20%. 
Co-Pays are going up by $5 and prescriptions are slightly higher. 

I wonder how much this is COVID related. I'm already barely able to afford it.

anyone seen any increases yet? 

Comments

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I'm sorry to hear this. How do premiums go up in the middle of a plan year? Don't those rates go in effect when the new plan year starts?

I have my "open enrollment" period starting tomorrow for the plan year that starts July 1. My rates for the new plan year are actually going to be $20 less a month than this past year for the same coverage. I expect that next year we will see an increase but my employer already locked in the rates for this coming year. I suppose I'm lucky that I am in a larger, self-insured pool and rates are not as bad as someone in a smaller business. 
  • Options
    MelzombieMelzombie Charleston, SC Posts: 200
    I'm sorry to hear this. How do premiums go up in the middle of a plan year? Don't those rates go in effect when the new plan year starts?

I have my "open enrollment" period starting tomorrow for the plan year that starts July 1. My rates for the new plan year are actually going to be $20 less a month than this past year for the same coverage. I expect that next year we will see an increase but my employer already locked in the rates for this coming year. I suppose I'm lucky that I am in a larger, self-insured pool and rates are not as bad as someone in a smaller business. 
    apparently our employment health plan is up for renewal on May 1... whatever that means.

• Options
    Melzombie said:

apparently our employment health plan is up for renewal on May 1... whatever that means.

I did hear a news report this morning about some insurance companies "struggling" to keep up with demands from CoVid. I don't really know how that works and how rates go up unexpectedly May 1. I'd ask more questions of your boss, if you are able. It sucks. So sorry for you and everyone else hard hit by this thing
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Fuck health insurance, bunch of bitches.
    Struggling with COVID-19 my ass, they are struggling to keep attention away from their stock buybacks and and corporate bonuses.
    Fuck 'em all.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,612
    This is one reason we’ll have single payer insurance at some point. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    This is going to be common.  Unreasonable to expect small businesses can support the costs they currently support when their businesses are in the trash.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,156
    Melzombie said:
    My boss just told everyone this morning that our (already expensive) health insurance premiums are going up 20%. 
    Co-Pays are going up by $5 and prescriptions are slightly higher. 

I wonder how much this is COVID related. I'm already barely able to afford it.

anyone seen any increases yet? 
    how big is your company, like how many employees? what state are you in?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    Ours have increased 7-10% every year for the last 10 years, while coverage has gone down to prevent the increase from being even higher.
  • Options
    Just found out mine is going up almost $300/month for next year. Will cost us directly $1200 out of my paycheck while the district contributes about $1000.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Just found out mine is going up almost $300/month for next year. Will cost us directly $1200 out of my paycheck while the district contributes about $1000.
    Do you have your whole family on your plan? That's insane. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Insurance companies will not be able to pay for all of covid. They will need a bailout at some point. Might as well go single payer after that.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Do you have your whole family on your plan? That's insane. 
    Yeah, whole family. Every district I’ve looked at covers most or all of your single. But then cover very little for a spouse and kids
  • Options
    Insurance companies will not be able to pay for all of covid. They will need a bailout at some point. Might as well go single payer after that.
    They should just go bankrupt in my opinion. This form of insurance doesn’t make sense. Often times copays and coinsurance is more than the uninsured cash price anyway. Why pay $2200 a month in premiums just to pay more for the service?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Actually worse than I thought, my portion is going up about $450/month, not just $300. Factor in my small pay increase my paycheck will only be about $300 less next year.
    Get ready for teacher strikes in Denver again, guess they didn’t learn their lesson 2 years ago
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
     Mine premiums never go up...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    But you don’t have all the choice up north that we do down here.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    static111 said:
    You’re right. It’s much more difficult to choose to go bankrupt due to healthcare costs. Not impossible, but difficult.  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    static111 said:
    What choice do you have that makes paying through ass worth it?  I have no use for insurance, insurance salesman or the insurance industry...so I much rather let my government provide me health care...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,064
    Other claims are way down with elective surgeries on hold and fewer patients making routine care visits right now
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    What choice do you have that makes paying through ass worth it?  I have no use for insurance, insurance salesman or the insurance industry...so I much rather let my government provide me health care...
    Sorry I was being sarcastic.  I would much rather that every American had some basic level of healthcare, even if that means some would have to go without their choice. To me it would be a much healthier society if the Millions without coverage or with inadequate coverage had access to healthcare that wouldn’t break the bank.  In the land of independence and personal responsibility too many people want to cling to their choice even at the expense of covering everyone.  The view becomes why do you want to take away my health insurance choice rather than why don’t we have a functioning healthcare system that can protect and cover everyone regardless of their socio economic, racial or gender status.  By all means if you want to pay an insurance company to approve you getting healthcare, go for it.  All of my friends from countries that have nationalized healthcare have no complaints about their level of care.  In fact it is largely wealthy and better off white people from here in the USA that I hear the most complaints about nationalized, single payer, and other government based healthcare systems from.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    static111 said:
    Your government is not run by idiots, though

Look at how govt run healthcare is doing in the States....the VA is the prime example and is a tire fire.
    I'd rather go to Mexico or the DR for treatment vs going to a VA.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    static111 said:

Look at how govt run healthcare is doing in the States....the VA is the prime example and is a tire fire.

Just like SSA, Medicare, SNAP, IRS, etc...
    Republicans constantly under fund and put up bureaucratic road blocks around any/all public programs
    Then they can point to it and say: "see, public programs never work!"
    Never mind Republicans are the ones who keep them from actually being functional in the first place.

It's not the VA that's a tire fire.  It's the Republican party.

In spite of this: 
    "Despite all of our nation’s foibles and short-comings, our Veterans Administration, in general, is not shirking its duties to the veteran. We may have our differences as to the treatment of diseases from toxic chemicals, and the need for more support for PTSD, but these are being remedied by legal proceedings and the appeals process as frustrating as that is to those in the position of being denied benefits.

Our veteran benefits are world class by comparison to other countries. Our goal today is to keep the programs intact and not be swallowed up under the bureaucratic maze of budget cut-backs."

https://www.veteranstodayarchives.com/2011/09/14/where-does-our-va-stand-when-compared-to-other-countries/

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-vac/publications-reports/reports/departmental-audit-evaluation/2009-12-nvc/4-4

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    static111 said:

We do have idiots aplenty, but we also have citizens who value our public healthcare and get up in arms at any suggestion of reducing coverage. In fact, immediately pre-covid there was serious discussion about expanding what is covered. I’m sure that, like everything, has been shelved for now while the pandemic takes up everyone’s attention. 

The US could have a functioning public healthcare system if its citizens actually wanted one. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Public healthcare here in Taiwan is fast, efficient and not dealing with insurance companies has been eye opening.

If you are not working you have topay a whopping $24 USD a month to be enrolled.