Color x Color: The Sperry Poster Archive

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314

https://www.facebook.com/ChuckSperryArt/posts/2766757150044341

“Color x Color: The Sperry Poster Archive” illustrates the 40 year career arc of renowned rock poster artist and master screen printer, Chuck Sperry. The 750+ page tome features over 800 color reproductions of Sperry’s work, from his early years creating posters for Bill Graham’s legendary Fillmore Auditorium, to his eye-arresting work for The Who, Eric Clapton, Pearl Jam, and the Black Keys.

Sperry Introduces each chapter of “Color x Color” with fresh and insightful autobiographical detail, shedding light on his colorful art, life and career. As the artist prefaces his book: “To show you everything, well, that’s exactly what I set out to do two years ago. This book brings together every poster I have created.”

The impetus to create this exhaustively complete book originates with the creation of an extensive special permanent collection of Sperry’s art to enter the archives of the Fort Wayne Museum of Art.

“Color x Color” will be first made available at Sperry’s solo retrospective exhibition, “Color x Color: Selections from the Chuck Sperry Archive” at the Fort Wayne Museum of Art.

Published by Hangar 18
Introductions by Charles Bock and Carlo McCormick,
Afterword by Josef Zimmerman, Fort Wayne Museum of Art, Curator of Contemporary Art
Hardback First Edition of 1500
10.5 x 12.875 x 2+ inches
752 pages / index
800+ color illustrations

Comments

• Hoping that Chuck graces us w a PJ Lady this tour!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I have that EV Long Beach AP hung in my living room.  Such an outstanding print, in person that shit just pops.
    Love me some Sperry.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Hoping that Chuck graces us w a PJ Lady this tour!

Would be neat to see. 

https://chucksperry.net/color-x-color-the-sperry-poster-archives-retrospective-book-poster-releases-and-museum-exhibition/

“Color x Color” will be first made available at Sperry’s solo retrospective exhibition, “Color x Color: Selections from the Chuck Sperry Archive” at the Fort Wayne Museum of Art.

Color X Color: Selections from the Chuck Sperry Archive
    April 18-June 7, 2020

Fort Wayne Museum of Art has kindly created a spectacular schedule of events for my solo retrospective museum exhibition. Please join us for a series of events that brings together the best of art and music!

Schedule of events for “Color x Color: Selections from the Chuck Sperry Archive”

April 17, 6:30pm – Opening and Poster Release

Three brand new original Chuck Sperry designs will be revealed and released at this event (April 17).
    (Museum Archive posters – on view at the museum exhibition – will not be for sale)

At this event, celebrate opening night of Chuck Sperry’s retrospective exhibition “Color X Color”, which will feature 150 prints representing the entirety of Sperry’s career. Enjoy appetizers and cash bar.
    Tickets Available HERE

April 18, 11am – Artist and Curator Panel Discussion
    Artist Chuck Sperry, FWMoA Curator of Contemporary Art Josef Zimmerman, and independent curator and critic Carlo McCormick will speak on Sperry’s life and career. Enjoy a Bloody Mary cash bar.
    Tickets Available HERE

April 18, 3pm – Gallery talk with Chuck Sperry and Josef Zimmerman
    Included with FWMoA admission. No RSVP required. Enjoy a walking gallery tour of Color X Color with artist Chuck Sperry and Curator of Contemporary Art Josef Zimmerman.

April 19, 3-4pm – Printmaking Demonstration and Workshop with Chuck Sperry
    Learn from the singular figure of psychedelic poster printmaking Chuck Sperry with a hands-on workshop. Fee includes all supplies and your take-home creation.
    Tickets Available HERE

May 7: Curator’s Tour, 12:15pm
    Curator of Contemporary Art Josef Zimmerman will take you take you on a lively and engaging gallery tour of Color X Color. From specialized and personal points of view, curators offer unique perspectives on all FWMoA exhibits. Free with Museum admission.

New Dates announced! June 5, 6, 7 for closing event celebrations, book and poster releases - exhibition duration will still be April 18 through June 7. Read link below.

https://chucksperry.net/color-x-color-the-sperry-poster-archive-new-dates-retrospective-book-poster-releases-and-museum-exhibition/?fbclid=IwAR13ksff0owqC6JUVpVNblmJviqxetu7sUvHSWFA_tKK1TVnIriYaJJoAKc

**IMPORTANT! Due to COVID-19 guidance from the Centers for Disease control to limit gatherings to 50 people, we are postponing the events of April 17-19 to June 5-7, 2020. Any tickets purchased for April 17-19 events will be transferred to June 5-7.

Published by Hangar 18
    Afterword by Josef Zimmerman, Fort Wayne Museum of Art, Curator of Contemporary Art
    Hardback First Edition of 1500
    752 pages / index
    800+ color illustrations

“Color x Color: The Sperry Poster Archive” illustrates the 40 year career arc of renowned rock poster artist and master screen printer, Chuck Sperry. The 750+ page tome features over 800 color reproductions of Sperry’s work, from his early years creating posters for Bill Graham’s legendary Fillmore Auditorium, to his eye-arresting work for The Who, Eric Clapton, Pearl Jam, and the Black Keys.

Sperry Introduces each chapter of “Color x Color” with fresh and insightful autobiographical detail, shedding light on his colorful art, life and career. As the artist prefaces his book: “To show you everything, well, that’s exactly what I set out to do two years ago. This book brings together every poster I have created.”

The impetus to create this exhaustively complete book originates with the creation of an extensive special permanent collection of Sperry’s art to enter the archives of the Fort Wayne Museum of Art.

“Color x Color” will be first made available at Sperry’s solo retrospective exhibition, “Color x Color: Selections from the Chuck Sperry Archive” at the Fort Wayne Museum of Art on June 5.

Online sale on www.chucksperry.net will follow June events at FWMOA.

Cover proof of my new book "Color x Color", looking good!

• lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

That's gonna be a really nice book to have in the collection!
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

New dates announced for "Color x Color: Selections from the Chuck Sperry Archive": October 24, 2020 - January 31, 2021.
    "Color x Color" book release moves up to May, 2020 - dates to be announced soon!

https://chucksperry.net/color-x-color-the-sperry-poster-ar…/

"Color x Color" book release will be May 15!

edited May 2020

Post edited by demetrios on
    edited May 2020
    https://chucksperry.net/color-x-color-the-sperry-poster-archive-release-friday-may-15/

MAY 13, 2020 BY SQUIRT

“Color x Color: The Sperry Poster Archive” Release Friday, May 15

Published by Hangar 18
    Hardback First Edition of 1500
    752 pages / index
    800+ color illustrations

“Color x Color” will be available on Friday, May 15, 2020 at a random time.

With every rock concert in the world probably on hold until 2021, rock fans are craving something to fill the gap. That makes the arrival of Chuck Sperry’s highly anticipated new book, “Color x Color: The Sperry Poster Archive 1980 – 2020,” doubly timely. Packed with more than 800 photographs of Sperry’s unparalleled work, the book’s 750-plus pages allow fans to take a deep stage dive into the past 40 years of rock, and to flash forward to 40 more. 

752 Pages of Colorful Art & Rock History

Sperry Introduces each chapter of “Color x Color” with fresh and  insightful autobiographical detail, shedding light on his colorful art, life and career. As the artist prefaces his book: “To show you everything, well, that’s exactly what I set out to do two years ago. This book brings together every poster I have created.” 

(comes shrink-wrapped / not signed or numbered / only signed in-person at events)

A reserve of books will be held for ticket holders to FWMOA event in October.

US Orders Only (Books will be made available in EU at a later time – to be announced)

$120 Including Shipping 

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850

I have his last 3, do I need another one?
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

I have his last 3, do I need another one?
    I don't have any! So one would be nice :)
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    I ordered one. I love a good music-based coffee table book. I have several - so this will be a good addition to my collection.

Heartfelt thanks to all my friends and supporters! "Color x Color" is sold out for now - a second edition to be announced!

demetrios said:

Heartfelt thanks to all my friends and supporters! "Color x Color" is sold out for now - a second edition to be announced!

Wow. I just got my shipping notice today. It says a label has been created, but no estimated arrival date yet. 

This ought to keep me busy for a few days. Packing “Color x Color” books. Thanks for all your support! These are moving quite smoothly - patience please. 😎

Even if you don't realize it, you're probably familiar with this iconic San Francisco rock poster artist

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/slideshow/Bay-Area-rock-poster-artist-talks-working-in-an-202718.php

• HoccapukHoccapuk Posts: 493
    demetrios said:

Even if you don't realize it, you're probably familiar with this iconic San Francisco rock poster artist

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/slideshow/Bay-Area-rock-poster-artist-talks-working-in-an-202718.php

Man....Sperry did the Oakland posters  :s I wonder if we’ll ever get to see them and what other artists we would have gotten 

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    ^^Good info right there... thanks for posting that!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,072
    2,000 posters! 
    SHZA said:
    2,000 posters! 
    I ordered the book. Maybe he should have slipped in one of those 2000 posters with each order ;)

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    demetrios said:

Good stuff. One of the many reasons I love PJ. Thanks for sharing, D :sunglasses: Perhaps we'll get to see Chuck's Oakland poster next year.