Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429

MLBPA: Luxury tax won't reset if season is canceled
    2h ago
    Rob Tringali / Major League Baseball / Getty
    HAVANA - MARCH 21 Major League Baseball Commissioner Robert D Manfred Jr and Major League Baseball Players Association Executive Director Tony Clark are seen during a press conference on Monday March 21 2016 at Melia Cohiba Hotel in Havana Cuba

Major League Baseball's luxury tax threshold won't be reset if the 2020 season is canceled, a spokesperson for the players' association told Alex Speier of the Boston Globe.

"There is no reset - everything will be frozen and restart as if 2021 was 2020 for (competitive balance tax) purposes," the spokesperson said.

This will be the case only if the season is canceled outright. MLB suspended Opening Day indefinitely earlier this month due to the coronavirus pandemic, and it's not known when play will resume.

Three teams - the Boston Red SoxNew York Yankees, and Chicago Cubs - paid into the tax in 2019. The Red Sox attempted to reset their number this winter by shedding salary, most notably through trading Mookie Betts and David Price to the Los Angeles Dodgers last month.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I noticed MLB charged my card for the MLB package full season.  Are they planning on going full NASCAR and simming The Show?
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Well, that’s some shitty news. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    RIP Al Kaline
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    RIP Al Kaline
    Yeah that sucked.  Lost Withers and now Kaline.  There might be a lot more of these HOFers succumbing to illness these days.
  • Options
    RIP Al Kaline
    RIP
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,074
    this seems like a possible way for baseball to restart, though I am skeptical until it actually occurs: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1969677

Report: MLB considering divisional realignment for 2020 season
    2h ago
    Mike Ehrmann / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    TAMPA FLORIDA - MARCH 18 A view of the New York Yankees Spring Training facility at George M Steinbrenner Field which has been closed due to the coronavirus outbreak on March 18 2020 in Tampa Florida Major League Baseball canceled Spring Training games and delayed opening day due to COVID-19

Find out the latest on COVID-19's impact on the sports world and when sports are returning by subscribing to Breaking News push notifications in the Sports and COVID-19 section.

Major League Baseball is considering a plan that would eliminate the traditional National League and American League alignments for the 2020 regular season if and when it takes place, a high-ranking official told Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY Sports.

Under this scenario, all 30 teams would return to their spring training facilities in Florida and Arizona. The teams would only play games in their respective states and with no fans in attendance. The divisions would be realigned based on the proximity of spring ballparks for ease of travel during the COVID-19 outbreak.

The plan would include a three-week training period followed by an abbreviated regular season.

One possible realignment structure under the proposal looks like this:

Grapefruit League

NORTHSOUTHWEST
    YankeesRed SoxNationals
    PhilliesTwinsAstros
    Blue JaysBravesMets
    TigersRaysCardinals
    PiratesOriolesMarlins

Cactus League

NORTHEASTWESTNORTHWEST
    CubsDodgersBrewers
    GiantsWhite SoxPadres
    DiamondbacksRedsMariners
    RockiesIndiansRangers
    AthleticsAngelsRoyals

The designated hitter would likely become universal for the duration of the season.

In addition to spring training ballparks, three major-league stadiums (Chase Field, Marlins Park, and Tropicana Field) will also be available if this plan is enacted.

"When you're trying to get really creative, why say no now?" Hall of Fame manager Tony La Russa said of the proposal. "So, you have a unique season. I've got no problem with that."

The postseason structure is also up in the air and could play out in a variety of ways, but a World Series would take place between the respective league champions in domed stadiums in November.

This is one of several contingency plans being discussed. Earlier this week, a reported plan to host the entire season in Arizona surfaced, earning support and skepticism from various parties.

MLB is waiting until for health and government officials to say it's safe to resume play, the official told Nightengale, with hope remaining that teams will be able to return to their home cities.

• Options
    Not a terrible idea.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,467
    fuck that. we don't want to be with the cubs.

fuck the DH, too. fuck tony la russa, as well.

with my giants facing a lost season, it would be fine with me to scrap the whole thing....especially if mookie never suits up for the d**gers. :smiley:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I just want to see some baseball again this year. I'm so happy that even it gets scrapped, we saw some at Spring Training before everything hit the fan.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I don't see the players agreeing to being sequestered for 3+ months playing in blazing hot empty stadiums.  This isn't as simple as Dana White's plan to fight on dinosaur island over a weekend.
  • Options
    Tatis Jr's reaction to hitting a HR as video game Tatis Jr  =)

• Options
    Jason P said:
    Tatis Jr's reaction to hitting a HR as video game Tatis Jr  =)

HAHA! That's awesome.

God, I miss baseball. And that's coming from a lifelong Astros fan that knew full well that this was going to be a brutal season.

Be well, all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    ESPN showing game 1 of the 88 series. God damn, everything about this sport was better back then. 

I mean....literally everything  
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    I was the only one in my workplace (granted it's a reduced workforce)  that had on her full Phillies regalia last week to commemorate what would have been opening day.  Have to give shoutout to mfc2006, damn straight it would be a difficult year but apparently your love of the game has won out over all the negativity that surely would have surrounded the Astros.  Only wish the Astros love of the game had prevented them doing what they did.  
  • Options
    ESPN showing game 1 of the 88 series. God damn, everything about this sport was better back then. 

I mean....literally everything  
    I don't think we will ever see an at-bat Like Gibson's again. 
  • Options
    I was the only one in my workplace (granted it's a reduced workforce)  that had on her full Phillies regalia last week to commemorate what would have been opening day.  Have to give shoutout to mfc2006, damn straight it would be a difficult year but apparently your love of the game has won out over all the negativity that surely would have surrounded the Astros.  Only wish the Astros love of the game had prevented them doing what they did.  
    Thanks. I wish they hadn't done it either...but they did. The fallout as a fan has been brutal at times...especially when we went to Spring Training. But, they're my team. They always have been & always will be. I hope we all get to see some baseball this year. Stay safe an be well, all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Let's talk top 5 pitchers you have seen play. 

I still think Greg Maddux is the best I've ever seen.  The man was such a student of the game and would establish a huge strikezone by painting corners.  He had a max fastball of 92mph...  

Next is Big Unit, Randy Johnson.  He pitched with ferocity, anger and deft.  Some of his outings with Kenny Lofton are legendary.  Watching him hurl a fastball from that 6'10 frame of his was awesome to watch.  I wonder if anything would have been different if he had an overhand delivery instead of his 3/4 style?

Pedro Martinez.  He was another that pitched with a mission.  Had the whole league not been juiced up I wonder what his numbers would have been?

Clayton Kershaw.  Say what you want about his post season failures which some can be forgiven considering the Astros sign stealing but he has been the most dominant pitcher over the last decade.

Max Scherzer.  Here is another modern day workhorse.  He wants the ball in his hand and wants to win.  2019 wasn't his best season stat wise but he helped win a WS title and the year before he did something that I thought would be unattainable for a pitcher to do ever again considering the lessened work loads and that is get 300K's in a season.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    For me, the top 4 came easily to mind.

Pedro (the best I have seen in person whenever I talk baseball with friends...so much to have seen over the years in different versions of himself.). I could not stand him for many of those years but always respected his tremendous game.

Unit - awesome.  Remember seeing scary Randy in early days and that was more fun, really, than when he was a DBack or Yank.  Fight On, love that Randy threw to Jack del Rio at USC.

Maddux - the artist

Clemens - hated this cheater most of the time but saw him as early as mid 80s on up until his end.  Best memories were from the fourth row behind visitors dugout, where my old man had company box seats when I was growing up.  Sure, I rooted for the visiting team (every trip to Fenway) but I thought Clemens was a badass.

Last one.....after some thought, I feel great about this pick - Smoltz
    To be as good as he was as a SP and then have three dominant years as a Closer....just phenomenal.
    Remember one year when he was a closer watching him warm up in the visitors pen at Doyers Stadium.  The coolest part was listening to his fastball.  Dude brought a heavy ball to the party as a closer.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Pedro (the best I have seen in person whenever I talk baseball with friends...so much to have seen over the years in different versions of himself.). I could not stand him for many of those years but always respected his tremendous game.

Unit - awesome.  Remember seeing scary Randy in early days and that was more fun, really, than when he was a DBack or Yank.  Fight On, love that Randy threw to Jack del Rio at USC.

Maddux - the artist

Clemens - hated this cheater most of the time but saw him as early as mid 80s on up until his end.  Best memories were from the fourth row behind visitors dugout, where my old man had company box seats when I was growing up.  Sure, I rooted for the visiting team (every trip to Fenway) but I thought Clemens was a badass.

To be as good as he was as a SP and then have three dominant years as a Closer....just phenomenal.
    Remember one year when he was a closer watching him warm up in the visitors pen at Doyers Stadium.  The coolest part was listening to his fastball.  Dude brought a heavy ball to the party as a closer.

Clemens should be on my list over Kershaw perhaps.  He shouldn't be left off my list but I did...

I agree with all but Smoltz.  With your thinking though I could have put Eckersley up there too.  He was one of the best relievers I ever saw.  Maybe we do that one next?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Pedro Martinez. Absolute domination from a small framed guy during his Red Sox career. Was fortunate to be at Fenway when he outdueled a sub 300 pound and in his prime Bartolo Colon 1-0 in 1998, both pitchers tossing complete games, something you just don't see any more. And the 1999 AS game when he starts the game striking out the first 4 batters and 5 of the first 6. Every 5th day was appointment viewing during Pedro's tenure here.

Roger Clemens. Struck out 20 batters in a game twice for the Red Sox prior to his presumed steroid fueled 2nd half of his career in Tor, NY and Hou. His 1986 season was as dominant a season of any pitcher in my lifetime.

Greg Maddux. A master at controlling the plate without overpowering stuff.

Randy Johnson. Would have hated to have been a lefty facing him where the ball seems to be being released about 3 feet from your head with that long reach.

Mariano Rivera. In this day and age when bullpens are so vital, nobody was ever better at the back end of the bullpen. Thankfully in October 2004 the Red Sox were able to get to him. Few others ever did.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

Maddux - the artist

Clemens should be on my list over Kershaw perhaps.  He shouldn't be left off my list but I did...

I agree with all but Smoltz.  With your thinking though I could have put Eckersley up there too.  He was one of the best relievers I ever saw.  Maybe we do that one next?
    We could split them.  I would say for him that he won 200+ games as a dominant starter and had a middle stint as a dominant reliever for three years due to injuries.
    I only saw Eck as a RP but he has ridiculous stats too.  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Here’s some surprising numbers. I guess Thomas is even more underrated than I thought. Or maybe Trout isn’t quite the modern day Mickey Mantle people say he is...

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Here’s some surprising numbers. I guess Thomas is even more underrated than I thought. Or maybe Trout isn’t quite the modern day Mickey Mantle people say he is...

Did you post the photo twice for a more dramatic effect?

I agree--those numbers are surprising. Trout is a 5 tool player though, while Thomas obviously was not. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I agree--those numbers are surprising. Trout is a 5 tool player though, while Thomas obviously was not. 
    Nugenix still has one tool working for big Frank
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

No i posted it twice because the mobile site sucks. Not that the desktop site is much better these days. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited April 2020

I've always said that Thomas was a beast.  He did 100BB, 100R, and 100 RBI for 8 years straight.  After 10 years, age 32,  Thomas started to fall off quite a bit, same as Pujols. So trout has an additional 5 years to get at the year of Thomas' fall off.  Let's see what happens.

Difference between Thomas and Trout that is clearly a difference is WAR.

Trout has almost the same WAR as Thomas' career!!!!  That is what makes Trout so much better than everybody else though.  His numbers are sick too.

Let's see what the next few years bring because I have mentioned before that Trout is merely getting warmed up and fully expect him to go into beast mode these next few years.  Also, no one else is remotely close to what Trout's numbers are.

You want to have fun?  Put Pujols, Trout, Thomas and Arod stats and make a spread sheet.  You'll be very interested to see the spreads in the stats.

EDIT: Put Bonds in there too.  First half then 2nd half of his career.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225

Nugenix still has one tool working for big Frank
    :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744

He was the best hitter of the 90s.  His numbers in the 94 season that got cut short would have been insane if the season didn't get cancelled.  Through 113 games, he was hitting .353 with a .487 OBP, 38 HR, 101 RBI and 109 walks.  487 OBP?!?!?  He was getting on base in half of his at bats....that's incredible.  And the White Sox were fucking awesome that year and think they had a great shot to win it all.....I remember being absolutely crushed as an 11 year old when the season got cancelled.  Horrible.