Guided by Voice

memememe Posts: 4,693
edited February 2008 in Other Music
My first acquaintance was with Robert Pollard opening for PJ in Cincinnati, and I was underwhelmed. Then I checked out some of their studio work and I am really liking it. Then I heard their live from Austin record and it's horrible.

Would I be off the mark in concluding that they are a good band, but are not good live?
... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    probably a little off the mark. I have Pollards performance when he opened up for PJ and I freaking love it. I have also finally come around loving their studio work. Perhaps if you listened to that performance again, after knowing what to expect, you may feel the same way I do. Look for Pollard's Moon (live) release.

from everything I have read over the past decade from them, they were one of those hit and miss bands live (I am sure alcohol played a MAJOR factor) There is no question in my mind however there were probably days they were unlistenable.

One of these days, I am going to listen to this http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/20957-relaxation-of-the-asshole
  • memememe Posts: 4,693
    hmmm... I don't have that performance to listen to again. All I have is his contribution to Baba that night, and I wish I didn't :)

Anyway, I can live with just their studio albums. Hit or miss live seems right, but that official Austin live show... wouldn't you choose a "hit" night for an official live release? Glad Girls sounds horrible...
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    meme wrote:
    ... wouldn't you choose a "hit" night for an official live release? Glad Girls sounds horrible...
    yeah, however I can picture Pollard and Sprout sitting back (hammered) going "hey remember that REALLY shitty show we did in Austin? Let's release that"
  • memememe Posts: 4,693
    transplant wrote:
    yeah, however I can picture Pollard and Sprout sitting back (hammered) going "hey remember that REALLY shitty show we did in Austin? Let's release that"

ahah... that's why I chose as my favorite band one where the frontman is a FUNCTIONING drunk :o
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    GBV are a great band. You have to appreciate Bob's brand of performance art, ie. the drunken old git who can't stop singing.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Alien Lanes is incredible.
  • They are amazing live. The most recent albums (post 2016) and incarnation of the band sound really great. Go see them.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Heard they played about 4 hour and 15 minute, 100 song set on New Years eve?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    GBV and Bob Pollard are national treasures. If you have the chance to see them play, don’t fuck up and not go. You’ll regret it when you no longer have the chance. Game of Pricks is the greatest song ever written. No, I’m not drunk.
  • EarlWelsh said:
    Game of Pricks is the greatest song ever written. No, I’m not drunk.
    This is correct. 
    Dallas 98
    Dallas 2000
    Kansas City 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Memphis 2000
    OKC 2003
    Dallas 2003
    Kansas City 2003
    Little Rock 2003
    Cincinnati 2006
    Vegas 2006
    EV Los Angeles 2008 x 2
    VH1 Rock Honors the Who 2008 
    Berlin 2009
    Los Angeles 2009 x 4
    The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien 2009
    Los Angeles 2013 x 2
    Tulsa 2014
    EV Ohana 2016
    Ohana 2021 x 4
    Los Angeles 2022 x 2
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    I’m 47 years old, was into alt rock (at least I thought I was) in the 90s, and just discovered these guys. How’d I miss them????