Duran Duran's Ordinary World / Pearl Jam's Seven O'Clock - Who did it better?

There is no denying that the 2 songs sound similar....  but who did it better?

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I’m denying it.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    You can't deny me!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    Glad to see that I’m not the only one thinking that the chorus sounds similar.
    Duran Duran’s song is better but it sounds dated.
    IMO the cover of Ordinary World by the Australian band Something for Kate is well above the original track and also above 7 PJO’ clock.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    I totally agree aurelgugus, I will have to check out that cover. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Always bet on Duran Duran.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    I don't hear it. And I love Ordinary World
    I miss igotid88
    Music or singing?
    I miss igotid88
  • wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 291
    similar.
  • Duran for the win.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    I remember riding my bike to Record Town at the mall to buy 7 and the Ragged Tiger when it was released. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

No one ever picks Pearl Jam
    I miss igotid88
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Not hearing it...I think both are pretty damn great.  Hard to compare Simon to Ed, band to band..

On a side note DD should have been in RRHOF a long time ago 
    OP isn't saying whether it's instrumentation or the vocals
    I miss igotid88
  • I love Ordinary World. I don’t hear it at all. 
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,034
    I’m not hearing it. But I love both songs and Duran Duran is amazing!
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    hrd2imgn said:
    Not hearing it...I think both are pretty damn great.  Hard to compare Simon to Ed, band to band..

On a side note DD should have been in RRHOF a long time ago
    If I am not mistaken, I think Jeff had DD on his RRHOF shirt that he wore the night PJ was inducted. I agree, they definitely should be in
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I don't hear it at all, although I love that song. Can't believe that came out in '93.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    If you still dont hear the similarities, I am pointing out the chorus instrumental portion. It is not exact but very very similar.
  • JC29866JC29866 Chicago Posts: 80
    I have been thinking the same thing- it’s the same instrumentation of the chorus.  It’s obviously similar.   I wonder if they realized this when recording?
    Most of the songs have something similar to other songs. But not this one
    I miss igotid88
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    Jesus Christ. I think it sounds like Free Bird
  • cheney50mccheney50mc Posts: 217
    That's funny - I thought the 'watery' intro sounded like 'Come Undone'. So kind of like 2 Duran Duran songs in one.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    That's funny - I thought the 'watery' intro sounded like 'Come Undone'. So kind of like 2 Duran Duran songs in one.
    Great song.

https://youtu.be/4D35vfQ7eZg
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    denied
  • andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,789
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 692
    So funny. First thing I said to my wife is how much this song has a late 80s vibe to it (in a weird kinda way).

On the verses I think you can hear a little Springsteen influence and on the chorus...I think you can hear a little D/D (Ordinary World) in the chorus (Was literally THE song I used to help me explain what I was hearing on 2nd/3rd listen). 

I love this track...(not a song on here that I don’t love). There’s lot going on from start to finish. The guitar part that comes in on the second part of the second chorus slays me EVERY time (that high, descending, arpeggiated part). #nuance

Gigaton is among their best output. Thank you, PJ.
  • EilianEilian Posts: 276
    Great song.

https://youtu.be/4D35vfQ7eZg
    Properly infectious pre-chorus and chorus.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I don't hear Ordinary World but i do hear “Leaving on a Jet Plane”
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,978
    I had not picked up on this but, if you're going to pick a song to pay homage to, "Ordinary World" is a damned good one to choose.  Amazing song by a great (and underappreciated) band.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.