Gigaton Atmos Blu-Ray Release

Any info out there about a Gigaton Atmos Blu-ray?  I'm hoping they're just waiting until the postponed theatrical release happens but I'm really hoping to see this available eventually.

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    No into yet but yes hopefully it'll be released on Blu-ray.
  • strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    Man I can't believe the Gigaton visual album still hasn't been announced and/or released on Blu-ray. I own the digital file from Apple, but I would definitely prefer the higher resolution Atmos sound that would likely come with the physical media version.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I learned some months ago that my iPad Pro does Atmos playback and was able to listen/watch Gigaton in that format. Prepare to be AMAZED. So much going on in that album that you don’t pick up otherwise. Back years ago Soundgarden released Superunknown in 5.1 DTS and that was another example of hearing an album in a whole other way. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    How did you listen from an iPad in Atmos?
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • strilo said:
    Because Atmos is just the codec, and unfortunately it has lossless (TrueHD/Atmos) and lossy (DD+/Atmos) versions. 
    Sadly neither Dolby nor all the artists who have let their material be mixed into Atmos over the past two years, understand their market. Surround sound fans who WILL pay money for a physical release! Very frustrating they've made it so hard to listen to music in Atmos on a dedicated Atmos-capable home theatre system.

I currently have a 5.2.4 Atmos set-up and would love to add Gigaton and Coldplay's Everyday Life to my small collection of studio albums mixed in Atmos...which is currently The Beatles - Abbey Road, INXS - Kick, John Lennon - Gimme Some Truth and...yep, that's it! I'll be adding Steven Wilson's upcoming solo album in January. I would like to add Rolling Stones' Goat's Head Soup and Perry Ferrell's new solo record but they're only on Blu-ray in crazy deluxe sets I can't afford.

Fingers crossed Trent Reznor will finally be releasing The Fragile in surround soon but upgraded from 5.1 (Alan Moulder, 2012, never released) to Atmos.
    strilo said:
    Good headphones + iTunes Store. I picked up a USB-C headphone adapter for $7 and plugged in my AT studio monitors & away I went. Not sure it’s still available but it’s the album presented with visuals. Only thing I can say is that it sounded amazing and there were elements that I picked up that I didn’t get listening to it several other ways. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • nuzzer1nuzzer1 New Jersey Posts: 1,426
    You can listen to the visualizer in Atmos via any iOS device that has Atmos + AirPod Pros (just the pros). It’s a pretty incredible experience. Suggest you walk around as you listen - Ed’s voice will ping pong around your head with your movement. 
  • On headphones it would ping pong around your head if you were listening to a CD also, Atmos played back through headphones is just a different mix it's not Atmos like it would be in the cinema. Nothing you can do in Atmos via headphones that you can't do with regular old PCM 2.0
    dobyblue said:
    On headphones it would ping pong around your head if you were listening to a CD also, Atmos played back through headphones is just a different mix it's not Atmos like it would be in the cinema. Nothing you can do in Atmos via headphones that you can't do with regular old PCM 2.0
    I hear this record differently in Atmos, 2 channel playback/headphones. Kinda like the Dolby DTS app version of Soundgarden’s Superunknown. That was an immersive multi-channel playback with headphones. There were elements I never heard prior on that one too. In fact the app tested a 7 channel simulation before listening. The check ins were in different spots in my headphones. And when I listened to Superunknown, there were sounds coming from all corners of my headphones. So, this Atmos playback reminded me of that experience. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Sorry guys! I really butchered up the information about Superunknown. For those unfamiliar, here's the link.

www.cluthelee.com
  • dobyblue said:
    On headphones it would ping pong around your head if you were listening to a CD also, Atmos played back through headphones is just a different mix it's not Atmos like it would be in the cinema. Nothing you can do in Atmos via headphones that you can't do with regular old PCM 2.0
    I hear this record differently in Atmos, 2 channel playback/headphones. Kinda like the Dolby DTS app version of Soundgarden’s Superunknown. That was an immersive multi-channel playback with headphones. There were elements I never heard prior on that one too. In fact the app tested a 7 channel simulation before listening. The check ins were in different spots in my headphones. And when I listened to Superunknown, there were sounds coming from all corners of my headphones. So, this Atmos playback reminded me of that experience. 
    Sounds like it was a fun experience!

But yes it's not surprising it was different than the stereo mix simply because it's a different mix. If you create test tones with a stereo balance of 100L-0R, 80L-20R, 60L-40R, 50L-50R, 40L-60R, 20L-80R and 0L-100R you will similarly get the effect of 7 channel surround, you can try it yourself with some test tones created in Audacity or watch one of those weird "8D" videos on YouTube (but don't go too far down that rabbit hole, it's overall quite silly). Your brain will perceive the signal to either sweep around in front of you, or behind you. You can then reverse back through and the brain may perceive it to reverse whatever direction it came from, but more likely it will continue in the opposite direction and create the illusion of a 360 degree sweep. 

The cover of Joy Division's "Memorabilia" by Nine Inch Nails from one of the Closer CD5s is a great example of this, it has two patterns that fade from opposite sides, most of the time you'll hear them both going in a 360 degree circle around each other. Very cool effect, but the big difference between the effects that can be produced with two drivers and those that can be produced with 7 drivers or 11 drivers in a full 7.x.4 Atmos set-up is you cannot play something 100% through the front right channel of a surround set-up and have someone think it's coming from the rear right channel. Truly discrete speaker set-ups will place something exactly where the engineer wants it, on headphones your brain interprets much.
  • AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    dobyblue said:
    dobyblue said:
    Sounds like it was a fun experience!

But yes it's not surprising it was different than the stereo mix simply because it's a different mix. If you create test tones with a stereo balance of 100L-0R, 80L-20R, 60L-40R, 50L-50R, 40L-60R, 20L-80R and 0L-100R you will similarly get the effect of 7 channel surround, you can try it yourself with some test tones created in Audacity or watch one of those weird "8D" videos on YouTube (but don't go too far down that rabbit hole, it's overall quite silly). Your brain will perceive the signal to either sweep around in front of you, or behind you. You can then reverse back through and the brain may perceive it to reverse whatever direction it came from, but more likely it will continue in the opposite direction and create the illusion of a 360 degree sweep. 

The cover of Joy Division's "Memorabilia" by Nine Inch Nails from one of the Closer CD5s is a great example of this, it has two patterns that fade from opposite sides, most of the time you'll hear them both going in a 360 degree circle around each other. Very cool effect, but the big difference between the effects that can be produced with two drivers and those that can be produced with 7 drivers or 11 drivers in a full 7.x.4 Atmos set-up is you cannot play something 100% through the front right channel of a surround set-up and have someone think it's coming from the rear right channel. Truly discrete speaker set-ups will place something exactly where the engineer wants it, on headphones your brain interprets much.
    Sorry, what is this Joy Division song? I've never heard of anything called "Memorabilia". Google just gives me a bunch of links to Joy Division t-shirts. Also, what are the Closer CD5s? Are these bootleg demos or something?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited January 2021
    What was this theatrical release? Sitting and watching stock footage for an hour plus? Or some concert thing?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    It was never released in theaters, right? 

It would have just been the visualizer stuff that went up for each song on youtube and the videos for SBWM and DotC.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited January 2021
    Also Memorabilia is a Soft Cell cover. Dead Souls was the Joy Division cover.

Memorabilia is also on the Super Deluxe TDS. As is Dead Souls.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • ZFieldsZFields Posts: 14
    Anyone listened to the Gigaton Atmos version with Airpod Pros with an iphone or ipad? The spatial audio feature really shines here....takes it to whole other level.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    It was never released in theaters, right? 

It would have just been the visualizer stuff that went up for each song on youtube and the videos for SBWM and DotC.

Right. It was later available on Apple TV+. We had tickets to go see it in Montreal coming home after the day after the Hamilton show .. then THIS happened ...
    ZFields said:
    Anyone listened to the Gigaton Atmos version with Airpod Pros with an iphone or ipad? The spatial audio feature really shines here....takes it to whole other level.
    Yep. iPad Pro and my AT studio monitors. This is what I was trying to communicate earlier in the thread about what I was hearing. Same with the Superunknown DTS app. 
    www.cluthelee.com