Bright Eyes

bossman3188bossman3188 Posts: 263
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Who here likes Bright Eyes? I think that "Bowl of Oranges" is one of the best songs ever written. It's just so lovely
there'll be time for laughin'
there's no time to cry
soon i will be leavin'
look me in the eye
no matter what's in front of me
it's your face that i'll see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    amazing band. cassadaga is one of the best albums of 07. it sounds so classic and timeless. he has really evolved. every album he's done since 'letting off the happiness' has been flawless.
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    Emek made one BADASS poster for bright eyes... I bought it for $40 last year from Shortybunchups on expresso beans and black red yellow, still waiting on it...
    someday...
    LESSON LEARNED: ALWAYS INSIST ON DELIVERY CONFIRMATION(.75) and DON'T WAIT LONGER THAN 40 DAYS FOR ANYTHING YOU BUY ON PAYPAL, FILE A CLAIM!!!
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Land-Locked Blues is still one of those songs I can't stop listening to.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Land-Locked Blues is still one of those songs I can't stop listening to.

i like the original version of this song better. if you haven't heard it it's called "one foot in front of the other." great song!
  • I wanna get into this band. What album should I buy first?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    if im walking home drunk from a party or something the very first song i throw on my ipod is We Are Nowhere and Its Now. i dont have Cassadega but saw em during the summer and the new songs were VERY catchy. the kids put out so much music at such a young age its incredible.

he looks and talks like the South Park emo kids tho, which is a concern
    I wanna get into this band. What album should I buy first?

any album is a good bet, but id recommend "Im Wide Awake Its Morning", or else "Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil"
  • I almost bought a bright eyes cd once. Then i decided i didn't want to kill myself.

I just don't get the hype. don't want to insult, but i just think people like him cause its the in thing right now.
    I almost bought a bright eyes cd once. Then i decided i didn't want to kill myself.

I just don't get the hype. don't want to insult, but i just think people like him cause its the in thing right now.

or maybe they like him cos they like the music? i refused to listen to him for a very long time becos he seemed like the "in" emo thing to listen to. i like him in spite of that, not becos of it. once i actually listened to the albums, i was blown away. you say you almost bought an album once... sounds to me like you've never actually listened to an album and are letting his image deter you the same way i once did.
    JordyWordy wrote:
    any album is a good bet, but id recommend "Im Wide Awake Its Morning", or else "Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil"

i would vote for the new one. those are both excellent albums, but i think the new one is one of his more consistent and accessible albums. wide awak is good, but you really only get his folksy side. lifted is brilliant, but it's kinda of dense and his vocals in that are... ah... legendary in their uniqueness. the new albums shows off his styles and his vocals have improved greatly. then you can work backwards.

but barring that, i'd say lifted. incredible album.

i may be the only person who likes digital ash better than wide awake.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I almost bought a bright eyes cd once. Then i decided i didn't want to kill myself.

. . . and perhaps there are some people who won't give him a chance because "it's the in thing right now." Just a thought.

I recently heard a song from the newest album and rather liked it - it was some late night TV performance from within the last 6 months or so. I tried Bright Eyes out about 5 years ago and couldn't stand Conor's vocals, but from the snippets I've heard lately either I've come around or his style has indeed evolved. I've always thought he was a pretty good songwriter, but that voice just didn't work for me. I've probably said it before, but I think I will have to get one of the newer albums at some point. I'm sure I'll get to it eventually!
    soclose wrote:
    . . . and perhaps there are some people who won't give him a chance because "it's the in thing right now." Just a thought.

I recently heard a song from the newest album and rather liked it - it was some late night TV performance from within the last 6 months or so. I tried Bright Eyes out about 5 years ago and couldn't stand Conor's vocals, but from the snippets I've heard lately either I've come around or his style has indeed evolved. I've always thought he was a pretty good songwriter, but that voice just didn't work for me. I've probably said it before, but I think I will have to get one of the newer albums at some point. I'm sure I'll get to it eventually!

his vocals have definitely evolved. he had that very weird warble for years. the newest album has seen that pretty much disappear.
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,834
    his vocals have definitely evolved. he had that very weird warble for years. the newest album has seen that pretty much disappear.

I hope so, because that was what was the turn off for me. good music with a vocalist who sounded like he was crying on each song.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,589
    first of all conor is not emo and the music should not be classified as emo. i understand some people not liking his voice and comparing it to an emo singer because of his delivery, but i just think that's just how he talks, and honestly he's not that great of a singer..... much like bob dylan who he is compared to quite frequently. that said i love bob and conor and their flawed voices, and much like bob, he writes amazing songs and bright eyes is one of my top five favorite musicians out there. i'm wide awake its morning is classic. not one dull moment on the whole album, and lifted and cassadaga are both amazing as well. if you're checking them out for the first time i'd recommend i'm wide awake.......just my opinion.
  • or maybe they like him cos they like the music? i refused to listen to him for a very long time becos he seemed like the "in" emo thing to listen to. i like him in spite of that, not becos of it. once i actually listened to the albums, i was blown away. you say you almost bought an album once... sounds to me like you've never actually listened to an album and are letting his image deter you the same way i once did.

you could be right. i've never listened to a whole record. just enough snippets to know i hate his voice and the music is boring. if he's a good songwriter than cool but that's not enough for me.
    i admit i do despise the in thing and maybe i'll come around. i doubt it though.
    you could be right. i've never listened to a whole record. just enough snippets to know i hate his voice and the music is boring. if he's a good songwriter than cool but that's not enough for me.
    i admit i do despise the in thing and maybe i'll come around. i doubt it though.

it's cool. there are a lot of really lame music snobs out there. nothing wrong with being too cool for school.
    the new one is one of his more consistent and accessible albums. wide awak is good, but you really only get his folksy side.
    new one's not as folky then? cool.....im gona research that
    vocals in that are... ah... legendary in their uniqueness.

you should be a diplomat! :)
    i may be the only person who likes digital ash better than wide awake.

Easy, lucky, free is such an incredible song! it was the accessibility of Wide Awake (over Digital Ash) that drew me to it and is probably the reason i go back to it. but Digital Ash has some phenomenal lyrics running through it
    JordyWordy wrote:
    new one's not as folky then? cool.....im gona research that

you should be a diplomat! :)

Easy, lucky, free is such an incredible song! it was the accessibility of Wide Awake (over Digital Ash) that drew me to it and is probably the reason i go back to it. but Digital Ash has some phenomenal lyrics running through it

yeah, easy lucky is one of my fav bright eyes tunes.

the new one is a good balance of his styles. it's not just a folksy records, there's a few digital inspired songs and some straight up rock and roll, wilco-style. it's a brilliant album.
  • Who here likes Bright Eyes? I think that "Bowl of Oranges" is one of the best songs ever written. It's just so lovely
    Love Bright Eyes and I agree 100%, Bowl of Oranges is just an amazing song and one of his best for sure. The thing is, he's written so many amazing songs. IMO he's the best songwriter I've ever come across. I keep finding more and more gems from him.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    bright eyes are amazing. im wide awake its morning, lifted and cassadaga as all flawless albums. conor's songwriting is almost perfect, and i think that all the lebels of the "dylan of our generation" are quite accurate.
  • This is a couple years old but something I listen to often. Great show available to stream from npr.org. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4467515
  • jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    I love Bright Eyes, at least the stuff I have... which is everything from Lifted forward. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not picking up the vinyl box set back when it was in print and only cost $35. Would have been a good way to get everything pre-lifted for a low price, cheaper than buying the albums individually. Now, that thing's super-expensive.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • I love Bright Eyes!

I saw him live twice, and it was really awesome "Holy shit! it's the LA philharmonic!" hahahaa

Cassadaga is a great album...there is so much talent in Conor Oberst...

and I love the song "lover I don't have to love"

:D
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,652
    New Song "Persona Non Grata" dropped this week-

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    pjpjpaul said:
    New Song "Persona Non Grata" dropped this week-

Searched Bright Eyes to see if anyone else here loves BE and Conor as much as I do and found this ancient thread.

I LOVE Persona Non Grata! Right after I heard To Death's Heart once I bought the album, I thought it was that good. 

Right now I'm enjoying some of the companion releases and there's a few I don't care for. 

I've seen BE live twice and Conor twice. I'm hoping to get a chance to see them/him many more times!
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy