Options

Congressman Rejects Pearl Jam’s Criticism of BOSS Ticket-Reform Act

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738
edited February 2020 in The Porch

Congressman Rejects Pearl Jam’s Criticism of BOSS Ticket-Reform Act

CREDIT: Christopher Polk @POLKIMAGING/Shutterstock

New Jersey Congressman Bill Pascrell, Jr., the principal sponsor of the Better Oversight of Secondary Sales and Accountability in Concert Ticketing (BOSS Act) designed to reform the live-events ticket market, today rejected Pearl Jam’s call to reject the bill.

Calling the bill “flawed,” the group said in a letter yesterday that it “blocks non-transferable ticketing” and “requires primary ticket sellers to disclose the total number of tickets offered to the general public a week before the primary sale.” Some consumer advocates argue that allowing ticket transfers is a key protection for consumers; the group said several reforms in the bill are worthy.

In a statement today, Pascrell rejected the group’s arguments. “For decades now, millions of American fans who want nothing more than to enjoy a little entertainment for their buck have been victimized by the opaque live events marketplace,” he said. Fans have been pinched, gouged, squeezed, soaked, and outright heisted by a seemingly endless litany of hidden fees, add-ons, and gimmicks created by the unregulated ticket monopolies who operate in the dark with impunity. My bill would be the first comprehensive overhauling of this corrupt marketplace. Music and sports fans have waited long enough for relief.

Pearl Jam may know a thing or two about making great music, but they’ve been led astray about my legislation. I would be happy to speak with the band about why Live Nation-Ticketmaster doesn’t care about their fans and wants to preserve a corrupt marketplace.”

Pascrell is the principal sponsor of the BOSS Act, which aims to bring greater transparency to the ticket industry so fans have a fair chance to purchase tickets on the primary market, and also seeks to protect consumers who choose to use the secondary market to purchase tickets. The legislation is currently being considered by the Energy and Commerce Committee.

He is among several Congresspeople who have called for an investigation of the troubled ticketing industry, which for decades has been plagued by accusations of corruption and insider dealing. Last fall, Senators Richard Blumenthal of New Jersey and Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota requested a Department of Justice antitrust investigation into competition in the ticketing industry, as well as Live Nation, the world’s largest live-entertainment company.

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,108
    edited February 2020
    I have no idea what's in the bill, but how do you prevent scalping if tickets are transferable?   If someone has the right to transfer their ticket to someone else, they can ask money for it.    I think PJ's tour kind of shows this night and day.  The two shows that can transfer seem to be a feast for resellers.   The shows where you can't transfer are filled with fans who paid face value.  I think the results speak for themselves.

The other thing, about publicly stating how many tickets are going for sale during the public on sale.   I'm not sure that does much.  We all know its limited already.
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Thanks for sharing, I know there are polarizing opinions around here, I'm just glad this is all being discussed again. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    sdsurfsdsurf San Diego, CA Posts: 69
    IMO Pascrell is being an idiot about this input from the band! Laws like this are exactly why the NYC and Denver shows have to have transferability, and are therefore hugely expensive! The problem for the rest of the industry is that most bands don't have their own 10C equivalents to get the tickets into the hands of the fans first and foremost. This bill is going to do nothing to keep secondary prices down, but unfortunately nothing really does that, but that is a completely different discussion... All, I can say is that it was the paperless ticket system, with the credit card swipe and non-transferable tickets that allowed me to get great seats for some really popular shows!  Casual ticket scalpers would see that they couldn't resell some of the best tickets, so they didn't buy them, and they went back in the pool... So, if you were persistent enough, you could pick up a good pair of tickets 15 or 20 minutes after they went on sale! Yes, the big problem was that I was taking a chance, and would lose my entire ticket price if I couldn't make the show. But, I could have bought seats that were further back, if I wanted to have the option of selling them if I couldn't go! I feel that allowing the artist to have a certain percentage of the tickets sold be restricted to non-transferable is really key in getting tickets into the hands of fans at a reasonable price. And that's what it seems like this bill plans to take away...

I would really hope that someone from the 10C would take this guy up on his offer to sit down and discuss his bill, and lay out this problem with it. They are basically doing the same thing at New York, and requiring that EVERY ticket sold be transferable! They think they are protecting the consumer who ends up not being able to make the show, but in the long run, they are creating the same situation that exists in NYC right now where the ticket brokers with the best bots can sweep in and buy up all the tickets for the secondary market before most of us even have a chance! 
    12/31/91, 7/18/92, 7/19/92, 11/1/92, 6/24/95, 11/4/95, 10/25/00, 6/2/03, 6/5/03, 9/2/05, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 6/18/07, 6/21/07, 6/26/07, 4/12/08(EV), 6/22/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09, 5/18/10, 6/25/10, 7/5/11(EV), 7/6/11(EV) 11/3/11, 11/4/11, 11/6/11, 7/7/12, 7/9/12, 7/10/12, 7/19/13, 11/21/13, 11/23/13, 11/24/13, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 9/9/17 (EV), 7/1/18, 7/3/18, 7/5/18, 8/10/18, 9/28/19 (EV), 9/25/21 (EV), 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 2/25/22 (EV), 2/27/22 (EV), 5/3/22, 5/6/22, 5/12/22, 9/16/22, 10/1/22 (EV). 

https://www.facebook.com/michaelpjohns
    https://www.instagram.com/mikejblue/
  • Options
    sdsurfsdsurf San Diego, CA Posts: 69
    BTW, for anyone wondering what is in the law:
    Section 3 – Transparency in Ticket Marketplace This section requires the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to promulgate rules within 180 days and under expedited rulemaking procedures, regarding the primary sale, distribution, and pricing of tickets. The rules must include the following requirements:
    1. That a primary ticket seller disclose the total number of tickets for sale to the general public within 7 days of tickets becoming available for sale.
    2. That a primary ticket seller must disclose all ancillary charges to customers before they select a ticket for purchase. The price of the ticket cannot change during the purchase process.
    3. The primary ticket seller must include all ancillary charges in any refund provided.
    4. The primary ticket seller may not restrict a purchaser from reselling tickets.
    5. The primary ticket seller may not institute a price floor on reselling tickets.
    6. The primary ticket seller must disclose any guarantee or refund policy at time of sale.

My comments in my thread above, and, I believe, the band's problems with it stem from #4 where the primary seller can not restrict the resale of the ticket. And, that restriction is why we have enjoyed such great 10C seats over the last almost 30 years (well, 20 for me, but more for others, haha)!
    12/31/91, 7/18/92, 7/19/92, 11/1/92, 6/24/95, 11/4/95, 10/25/00, 6/2/03, 6/5/03, 9/2/05, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 6/18/07, 6/21/07, 6/26/07, 4/12/08(EV), 6/22/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09, 5/18/10, 6/25/10, 7/5/11(EV), 7/6/11(EV) 11/3/11, 11/4/11, 11/6/11, 7/7/12, 7/9/12, 7/10/12, 7/19/13, 11/21/13, 11/23/13, 11/24/13, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 9/9/17 (EV), 7/1/18, 7/3/18, 7/5/18, 8/10/18, 9/28/19 (EV), 9/25/21 (EV), 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 2/25/22 (EV), 2/27/22 (EV), 5/3/22, 5/6/22, 5/12/22, 9/16/22, 10/1/22 (EV). 

https://www.facebook.com/michaelpjohns
    https://www.instagram.com/mikejblue/
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738
    Congressman Dismisses Pearl Jam's Objection to Ticketing Reform Act: 'They've Been Led Astray'

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,886
    Scalper's rights are human rights, apparently. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Scalper's rights are human rights, apparently. 
    But scalpers aren’t humans. They are pieces of garbage. Guess they gotta change the law. 
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Love 80 year old politicians creating silly legislation named after their states pet artist.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    Corporations are people too... sigh

Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    I think part of the problem is your only seeing this thru Pearl Jam where you can release your tickets and they are bought in 5 minutes at face price. 

If someone buys a ticket to Wade and the weiner smackers for $50 and something comes up a week out and sales aren’t strong With plenty of face value tickets available and he just wants to dump it for $25... why should he not be able to do that??? 
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    goblues82 said:
    I think part of the problem is your only seeing this thru Pearl Jam where you can release your tickets and they are bought in 5 minutes at face price. 

If someone buys a ticket to Wade and the weiner smackers for $50 and something comes up a week out and sales aren’t strong With plenty of face value tickets available and he just wants to dump it for $25... why should he not be able to do that??? 
    A. that is a fix that can be built into the system.

B. when you purchase something like concert tickets there is an inherent risk you are taking in that any number of things can prevent you from using them.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    Fat head Ed. So funny,
    Since 1993.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,155
    edited February 2020
    https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/484662-why-pearl-jam-is-wrong-about-the-boss-act

Why Pearl Jam is wrong about the BOSS Act

BY JOHN BREYAULT, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 02/26/20 07:00 AM EST

I love Pearl Jam. I can vividly remember the first time I heard their debut album Ten as a pimply-faced high school freshman in 1991. Songs like “Alive,” “Jeremy,” and “Daughter” were the soundtrack of my teenage years. The band’s willingness to fight back against the entrenched Ticketmaster monopoly only made me a bigger fan, which is why it was so surprising to hear that the band will allow Ticketmaster to ticket this summer’s Gigaton tour.

Unfortunately, it seems like Pearl Jam is not just taking Ticketmaster’s advice when it comes to ticketing for its shows. It’s also aping its corporate talking points by opposing the Better Oversight of Secondary Sales and Accountability in Concert Ticketing (BOSS ACT), sponsored by Rep. Rep. Bill Pascrell, Jr. (D-N.J.). This pro-consumer bill would, for the first time, give fans real protections in the live event ticketing marketplace, which, in its current state, is among the worst industries we see in terms of how it’s fleecing consumers.

Pearl Jam says it has two main concerns with the BOSS ACT. First, it takes issue with the bill’s requirement that the total number of tickets to be sold be disclosed seven days in advance of the on-sale date. The band claims that “THIS HURTS CONSUMERS MORE THAN IT WILL HELP, because consumers don’t make purchasing decisions based on how many tickets are available—bulk purchasers like professional resellers do.”

How does the band know that “consumers don’t make purchasing decision based on how many tickets are available”? Consumers, after all, have never been given this information to make a decision with in the first place. Giving consumers more, not less, information is the best way for fans to make informed decisions in the marketplace.

Perhaps what Ticketmaster and bands like Pearl Jam are actually afraid of is fans knowing that, on average, more than half of tickets to in-demand acts are held back for connected insiders (including scalpers) instead of being made available to the general public. Absent this information, it’s very easy for bands to deceptively claim that their show is “sold out,” when in fact there may still be plenty of tickets available. Frustrated fans inevitably go to the secondary market, where they see marked-up prices they believe accurately reflect high demand. In fact, all that the prices on the secondary market may actually reflect is manufactured ticket scarcity driven by undisclosed ticket holdbacks.

Pearl Jam’s second problem with the BOSS ACT is the bill’s requirement that tickets be transferable. It’s understandable that the band would take issue with this, since they are employing Ticketmaster’s SafeTix technology to prevent (or at least limit) the ability of fans to resell, donate, or give away tickets for this summer’s tour.

Prohibiting ticket transferability as a way to prevent scalping is a cure worse than the disease. Fans often have to buy tickets for shows months in advance. Unexpected events can prevent someone from attending the show. Forcing consumers to eat the cost of those tickets is patently unfair. By protecting ticket transferability, the BOSS Act will make sure consumers can sell or give away their tickets when life inevitably intervenes and they can’t attend an event. It will also prevent Ticketmaster from introducing anti-competitive restricted-transfer tickets, which prevent resale on any exchange where Ticketmaster can’t control the prices and set the rules.

To be fair to the members of Pearl Jam, they aren’t saying that the BOSS ACT is all bad. They agree with the bill’s provisions that would crack down on anti-consumer conduct in the secondary market like speculative ticketing and deceptive “white label” resale websites. They also support requirements that primary and secondary ticketing companies adopt an “all-in” pricing model where all fees are disclosed up front.

This week, the House Commerce Committee will have an opportunity to question a who’s who of live event industry executives. Chances are that the ticketing industry witnesses will have to answer some uncomfortable questions. If past experience is any indicator, they are likely to try and point the blame at each other, at artists like Pearl Jam, or even at fans. Congress should not let them get away with avoiding accountability. The BOSS ACT will fix many of the problems the hearing will examine.

I love Pearl Jam, but they’re wrong about the BOSS ACT. Here’s hoping that Congress sees this, too.

Post edited by SHZA on