The Guardian bans advertising from fossil fuel firms

The Guardian will no longer accept advertising from oil and gas companies, becoming the first major global news organisation to institute an outright ban on taking money from companies that extract fossil fuels.

The move, which follows efforts to reduce the company’s carbon footprint and increase reporting on the climate emergency, was announced on Wednesday and will be implemented with immediate effect. The ban will apply to any business primarily involved in extracting fossil fuels, including many of the world’s largest polluters.

“Our decision is based on the decades-long efforts by many in that industry to prevent meaningful climate action by governments around the world,” the company’s acting chief executive, Anna Bateson, and the chief revenue officer, Hamish Nicklin, said in a joint statement.

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2020/jan/29/guardian-to-ban-advertising-from-fossil-fuel-firms-climate-crisis?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR27T9wEoOfSRfwjb_Vg6EOOOn74ygs8TgQyVjcXaNxK4RJwRB9_z_i2vbk

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    The Guardian will no longer accept advertising from oil and gas companies, becoming the first major global news organisation to institute an outright ban on taking money from companies that extract fossil fuels.

The move, which follows efforts to reduce the company’s carbon footprint and increase reporting on the climate emergency, was announced on Wednesday and will be implemented with immediate effect. The ban will apply to any business primarily involved in extracting fossil fuels, including many of the world’s largest polluters.

“Our decision is based on the decades-long efforts by many in that industry to prevent meaningful climate action by governments around the world,” the company’s acting chief executive, Anna Bateson, and the chief revenue officer, Hamish Nicklin, said in a joint statement.

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2020/jan/29/guardian-to-ban-advertising-from-fossil-fuel-firms-climate-crisis?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR27T9wEoOfSRfwjb_Vg6EOOOn74ygs8TgQyVjcXaNxK4RJwRB9_z_i2vbk

That's phenomenal! Well done.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    great news. wait until BP comes in with that 7 figure ad buy offer though.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    What do they print newspapers on in England? 
  • Jason P said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Jason P said:

Even if the paper were 100% non-print/ internet only media it would still utilize fossil fuels for its production.  Today, pretty much everything does.  I guess it could be seen as the cart before the horse, but I think their efforts to move away from fossil fuels outranks (what I would have once called "trumps" but that word is currently dead for me) the possible slight hypocrisy of not advertising fossil fuels.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.