Options

Coulson Large Air Tanker has crashed while fighting fires in Australia RIP 3 American Crew

rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
edited January 2020 in A Moving Train
Post edited by rhanishane on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    It's always tragic when one of these go down.  I absolutely hate hearing about that.

That said, I'm not 100% convinced aerial firefighting is worth the risk.  It's kind of a taboo subject because the public wants to see more aerial firefighting, but I've read and heard arguments against using it that seem fairly convincing. 

For example:

"Andy Stahl, director of Forest Service Employees for Environmental Ethics, has criticized aerial firefighting. “They must have a lot of money to spend — to waste,” he says of Colorado’s air corps budget. Stahl claims that fighting fire from the air is not only expensive, dangerous and environmentally harmful, but that it has yet to be proven to work."

I'm also not convinced it's a bad method to fight fire, but I don't think it would be a bad idea for a qualified agency look into the matter. 

Meanwhile, it just sucks that this happened.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    It's always tragic when one of these go down.  I absolutely hate hearing about that.

That said, I'm not 100% convinced aerial firefighting is worth the risk.  It's kind of a taboo subject because the public wants to see more aerial firefighting, but I've read and heard arguments against using it that seem fairly convincing. 

For example:

"Andy Stahl, director of Forest Service Employees for Environmental Ethics, has criticized aerial firefighting. “They must have a lot of money to spend — to waste,” he says of Colorado’s air corps budget. Stahl claims that fighting fire from the air is not only expensive, dangerous and environmentally harmful, but that it has yet to be proven to work."

I'm also not convinced it's a bad method to fight fire, but I don't think it would be a bad idea for a qualified agency look into the matter. 

These fires are seriously off the charts... It's only for property protection and running lines of retardant to protect homes and communities. They cannot put them out only rain can. It has been quite successful given the size and ferocity that we have lost less than 2000 homes in all this. Pity the animals and plant life have taken a massive toll. The death toll is at around 30 human lives I think.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

For example:

These fires are seriously off the charts... It's only for property protection and running lines of retardant to protect homes and communities. They cannot put them out only rain can. It has been quite successful given the size and ferocity that we have lost less than 2000 homes in all this. Pity the animals and plant life have taken a massive toll. The death toll is at around 30 human lives I think.

I hope it is helping, rhanishane  , I sincerely do.  The loss to human and animal life and habitat is overwhelming.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

For example:

I hope it is helping, rhanishane  , I sincerely do.  The loss to human and animal life and habitat is overwhelming.
    We have 4 more LATs coming or have arrived they were held up by snow storms and tornadoes. Yes they have been a valuable asset to massive fires in saving infrastructure and communication towers. My home town had the Coulson C130 and the DC10 bombers protecting our communication tower before the fire ripped through
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Just read it. Fuck 
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Just read it. Fuck 

Why the nasty comment?  Come on, everybody here wants what's best for Australia.  That means looking at the big picture from all angles and doing what makes most sense.  Not really a great time to be aggressive on a thread of this kind.  (There's too much of that stuff on AMT already, right?)

• Options
    brianlux said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Just read it. Fuck 

Why the nasty comment?  Come on, everybody here wants what's best for Australia.  That means looking at the big picture from all angles and doing what makes most sense.  Not really a great time to be aggressive on a thread of this kind.  (There's too much of that stuff on AMT already, right?)
    I think he may have read the news and thought that's bad. I don't think he meant any harm. It was 3 Americans and it would be a shock to hear about
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    edited January 2020
    brianlux said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Just read it. Fuck 

. Think its meant as "Have just read it. FUCK."
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Just read it. Fuck 

. Think its meant as "Have just read it. FUCK."

That makes sense, thanks.  This darned English language- read can be heard as rēd or red.  I probably read (red) it wrong!
    Sorry for the foul up,  JPPJ84
    !

• Options

• Options
    A heartbreaking story from the devastating plane crash😔 two thumbs sanctuary.
     Two Thumbs team.  . .Tragically yesterday (23 January) 3 courageous firefighters lost their lives in a horrific plane crash that landed right next James' property. The crash created a fire that roared through James sanctuary, burning his home to the ground and flattening all of his animal enclosures. The Koala's that James has rescued from these horrible fires and lovingly cared for over the last month have also lost their lives. We are are devastated.
  • Options
    😔omg how devastating from 
    From Two Thumbs team.  . .Tragically yesterday (23 January) 3 courageous firefighters lost their lives in a horrific plane crash that landed right next James' property. The crash created a fire that roared through James sanctuary, burning his home to the ground and flattening all of his animal enclosures. The Koala's that James has rescued from these horrible fires and lovingly cared for over the last month have also lost their lives. We are are devastated.Two Thumbs Koala Sanctuary has been lost. It is very hard to find words so Alli just spoke them. Two Thumbs Sanctuary was lost yesterday 23/1 including the release sections that had been saved in previous fires. This is going to hit all the rescuers in the area very hard as it is not only family to them all but a key part of the release infrastructure.

We have had reports that the tragedy is even worse, that the C130 RFS plan that went down losing 3 pilots was right here.

@The Rescue Collective and Animal Rescue Cooperative has made an immediate cash donation of $10000 to the Two Thumbs organisation and begun the convoy and supplies planning for the site. #Petbarnfoundation has contributed to this donation.

This is going to hit a lot of people hard.

Donations to Two Thumbs can be made directly to the go fund me for them here - - - https://www.gofundme.com/f/koala-habitat-and-bushfire-research-fundraiser

Donations to the ARC/TRC team that will be assisting immediately in area can be made here. - - - www.mkc.org.au/donations/trcqld

We will use donation money to fund generators, portable shower, tents, torches, beds and the basics to allow people to live and stay at the site to keep what is left alive- we continue to pour donations out to affected sites in the area

Donations of product WILL be needed, this is the wishlist

Petbarn, Vet & Pet Direct

🐨BIOLAC FORMULAS
    🌱WOMBAROO FORMULAS (Kangaroo, Bat, Koala)
    🐨HARTMANNS / BAXTER FLUIDS
    🌱VETAFARM SPARK FLUIDS
    🐨WOMBAROO IMPACT
    🐨DI-VETALACT
    🌱SYRINGES 1-60ML
    🐨 NUTRIGEL / TROY NUTRIPET
    🐨FEEDING BOTTLES & TEATS (NOT HUMAN)
    🌱VETWRAP / SOFFBAN / MICROPORE TAPE
    🐨 KANGAROO PELLETS (Any type)

🔴NOTE:
    Please note, no linen, no craft, we just need the above items, we have to focus on what is going to help the teams on the ground as fast as possible and we are out of storage space for linen and craft.

Any donations can be sent straight to Alli's team in Canberra at the following emergency drop site so they can start the convoy.

DELIVERY ADDRESS

ARC ACT - ALLI CAIRNS
    Parcel locker 10012 15247
    54 Vicars St
    Mitchell ACT 2911

Nicole Blums
    C/ The Rescue Collective
    4/55 Tenby Street
    Mount Gravatt, 4122
    QLD
    Okay to leave at door 🚪