Options

Seven Mary Three

mervin50mervin50 Posts: 217
edited February 2012 in Other Music
Just recently started to listen to some old cd's like Local H, Tonic, Seaweed and I threw in the Seven Mary Three disc - American Standard. Forgot how good it was and decide to look them up. Anyone have a particular favourite from them or recommendations?

Thanks in Advance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i dont know much about them beyond Cumbersome. But i always felt like Waters Edge was a pretty hypnotic and haunting song with a haunting main riff, not to mention haunting lyrical imagery
  • Options
    with my thread about Bush and then this one, im having major flashbacks not to grunge or the early 90's but rather mid to late 90's. strange time period.
  • Options
    yeah that was a really odd time musically. I just read Everybody loves our town and I keep thinking back and realize I had a totally distorted view of how the sound evolved. Sounds like people built up these camps - original sound and new impostor sound. Either way if the music was good who cares.

Anyway long way around the topic - yeah late '90's just as interesting as the early part but for different reasons.

Two bands I really loved from that time - Seaweed and Coffin Break.
  • Options
    mervin50 wrote:
    Just recently started to listen to some old cd's like Local H, Tonic, Seaweed and I threw in the Seven Mary Three disc - American Standard. Forgot how good it was and decide to look them up. Anyone have a particular favourite from them or recommendations?

Thanks in Advance.

I rediscovered Seven Mary Three a few years back when I stumbled upon their live, acoustic album "Backbooth." Do yourself a huge favor and give that a spin. It's an outstanding disc from start to finish in my opinion.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    I saw them live in 2003 and again in 2005. They put on a solid show. I'd see them again if they come down this way.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I never really even gave 7M3 a shot even though I loved Cumbersome. I'll have to go back and give them a listen.

Local H, on the other hand, is one of my all time favorites. I think most people think they disappeared after Bound for the Floor but they've kept chugging along. New Cd "Hallelujah! I'm a Bum" due out later this year.
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    i dont know much about them beyond Cumbersome. But i always felt like Waters Edge was a pretty hypnotic and haunting song with a haunting main riff, not to mention haunting lyrical imagery

Waters Edge was / still is a great song - :thumbup:

http://youtu.be/_XKUnkM_-FQ

not sure if there is a better video out on this song.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    Their song "Blackwing," which shared space with a Pearl Jam song on a MOM compilation, is a really great song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv_2UlgUmF8
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    with my thread about Bush and then this one, im having major flashbacks not to grunge or the early 90's but rather mid to late 90's. strange time period.

I thought it was strange at the time, but wow did I ever miss it compared to the garbage we get fed out there today. (maybe i'm just old and cynical now haha)
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    mervin50 wrote:

Thanks in Advance.

I rediscovered Seven Mary Three a few years back when I stumbled upon their live, acoustic album "Backbooth." Do yourself a huge favor and give that a spin. It's an outstanding disc from start to finish in my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestion I'm going to take a look for it on iTunes. Much appreciated to everyone for the comments!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Wow, Seven Mary Three and Local H. Just had major flashbacks. Used to love Cumbersome and Bound for the Floor :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Going through their albums currently. I enjoy a few of their songs, so I figured I would give them a proper listen. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    The only band/artist I’ve ever seen booed off stage. They were in the opening slot for Aerosmith in Fargo, ND back in probably 1997-98. The folks up there wanted nothing to do with Seven Mary Three and were vicious. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Absolutely hate Cumbersome but their second album is terrific.  Rock Crown.  Never heard any of their other albums. 

I read an interview with the singer and he said “look. Our first album we were trying to be pearl jam but what 22 year olds didnt want to be pearl jam?”   

Honest enough.  
  • Options
    Absolutely hate Cumbersome but their second album is terrific.  Rock Crown.  Never heard any of their other albums. 

I read an interview with the singer and he said “look. Our first album we were trying to be pearl jam but what 22 year olds didnt want to be pearl jam?”   

Honest enough.  
    They sound more like an angry Dave Matthews to me lol. First album is meh. On to the second!
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Second album is good!  It definitely was career suicide because its nothing like Cumbersome. 

“I Could Be Wrong”. “Lucky”, “Needle Cant Find”. “Gone Away”.   

Pleasant surprise.  
  • Options
    Second album is good!  It definitely was career suicide because its nothing like Cumbersome. 

“I Could Be Wrong”. “Lucky”, “Needle Cant Find”. “Gone Away”.   

Pleasant surprise.  
    You would think it’s a different band if this is what you heard first. Honey of Generation is my favorite, followed by What Angry Blue? Good album
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Cumbersome has some of the most preschooler lyrics ever. 
    Too heavy too light, too black or too white, too wrong or too right, today or Tonight
    Cumbersome
    Too rich or too poor, she's wanting me less and I'm wanting her more

Horrible. 

That’s J Davis from Korn bad in the lyric department.
    Still was a catchy song though.  
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,147
    CumbeRrrrrsome
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I have every album. They updated their social media stuff last April, which is usually indicative of a new project, but it's been quiet since then.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458
    Love 7M3. I once read Rob Thomas giving them big praise. They and Matchbox 20 were both out of Orlando. Rob said 7M3 deserved equal fame and fortune as Matchbox but the music industry isn’t about “deserve.” 
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16