Options

Audioslave- Sleight of Hand

eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
So the last time I saw Audioslave was in Oct. '05 and they played this one new song which I thought was "Sound of a Gun" at the time. I was on setlist.fm awhile back and someone said it was Sleight of Hand. I was like no it definitely wasn't a Pearl Jam cover, so i changed it to Sound. Someone changed it again to sleight of hand and posted audio of the show and sure enough it's called Sleight of Hand.  It does kinda sound like Sound of a Gun though a little (maybe it was an earlier version?)

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
8/28/98- Camden, NJ
10/31/09- Philly
5/21/10- NYC
9/2/12- Philly, PA
7/19/13- Wrigley
10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
10/21/13- Philly, PA
10/22/13- Philly, PA
10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Definitely doesn't sound like anything I have heard by them before and it sounds good. I wonder if there are any songs in the can that never saw the light of day, which may come out someday.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Definitely called Sleight of Hand. It was supposed to be the first single from Revelations, but Commerford hated it. It was played live, but never released commercially. Tom has said that unreleased Audioslave is a matter of when, not if, and specifically mentioned this song.
  • Options
    Definitely called Sleight of Hand. It was supposed to be the first single from Revelations, but Commerford hated it. It was played live, but never released commercially. Tom has said that unreleased Audioslave is a matter of when, not if, and specifically mentioned this song.
    yeah that might be the only recording of it. This might be the same recording but this was the show i was at (51:43 mark).

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    They had more songs? Not sure it could get worse than Revelations. Can only think of a few albums as disastrous. 
  • Options
    Using Hobo on a bootleg...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    They had more songs? Not sure it could get worse than Revelations. Can only think of a few albums as disastrous. 
    Revelations is great.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    sure hope so. wonder if mrs cornell has the power to block that stuff too?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    Revelations is great.
    Made by a band that wasn’t interested, didn’t get along, scraping the bottom of the barrell. Lucky to get the first album and that initial momentum did foster some good material. 
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    Oh man I forgot all about this song. This and Techno Ted need to see the light of day.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    Revelations is great.
    Made by a band that wasn’t interested, didn’t get along, scraping the bottom of the barrell. Lucky to get the first album and that initial momentum did foster some good material. 
    I agree. I don't care for Revelations at all. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    Revelations is great.
    I agree. I don't care for Revelations at all. 
    It's not great. I think it's right below Out of Exile. There are a handful songs off the album which are decent. now if you combined the really good songs off Out of Exile and Revelations that would be a solid album.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I feel the same way.  The first album is epic from front to back.   One of my top favourite albums of all time.  The 2nd two are ok, but there's only a handful of songs I go back to those albums for.
  • Options
    Woof. I think you guys are forgetting the back half of Audioslave is kinda rough. Out of Exile is much more consistent front to back, even if Audioslave has some better bangers.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Mike D88 said:
    Woof. I think you guys are forgetting the back half of Audioslave is kinda rough. Out of Exile is much more consistent front to back, even if Audioslave has some better bangers.

• Options
    Remember that time somebody interjected, "actually, this band sucks," and everyone thanked them for it?
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    I thought they made some really good music and besides Cornell's personal problems and ups and downs, the band got along well. It was him who ended things. Revelations had some great songs, but Out of Exile was better. The debut was just straight forward rock for the most part. I agree, it tapered off on the second half. It didn't get interesting until the follow up album. And then there's Wide Awake and Moth off Revelations; awesome. I enjoyed their music, still do, and look forward to hearing the unreleased stuff.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    It was haunting when CC would do Wide Awake at his solo acoustic shows.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    edited November 2019
    Mike D88 said:
    Remember that time somebody interjected, "actually, this band sucks," and everyone thanked them for it?
    I don't think it was a good fit for Cornell. To join a political band and make a demand going into it that they do no political songs? It makes sense because that wasn't his forte. But how could the rest of Rage settle for that type of songwriter? That made no sense at all.
  • Options
    I hope Chris's widow doesn't put a stop to the Audioslave project that Tom was talking about. I don't know who owns those recordings.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    Mike D88 said:
    I don't think it was a good fit for Cornell. To join a political band and make a demand going into it that they do no political songs? It makes sense because that wasn't his forte. But how could the rest of Rage settle for that type of songwriter? That made no sense at all.
    they demanded 4/4 time on songs so.......

cc wrote the lyrics. they were going to be what they were going to be.

besides who said audioslave were intended to be a political band? they werent called rage 2.0

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Mike D88 said:
    all or most of the Rage guys were huge fans of Cornell and Soundgarden, so I'm sure it was an easy decision to work with him given the opportunity. Rage was always obviously political, but obviously that wasn't CC's style, so it made sense for him to say going in "this isn't how I write" so it makes sense that they wouldn't engage politics outside of the band either. 

it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, either, that maybe not being political and just focusing on the music was a much needed/wanted break for those guys. Tom still had/has his solo stuff that I believe is political, so he has that outlet as well. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    i hope this gets released one day. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com