Options

Favorite book quotes and or passages

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited July 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
Sometimes a quote or passage in a book can give one chills and make your mouth drop.

What are some of your picks?

My current favorite is : Ayn Rand in Atlas Shrugged:

"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swaps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real.. it is possible.. it's yours."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I personally like this one by Anne Lamott in "Bird by Bird"

"I think perfectionism is based on the obsessive belief that if you run carefully enough, hitting each stepping-stone just right, you won't have to die. The truth is that you will die anyway and that a lot of people who aren't even looking at their feet are going to do a whole lot better than you, and have a lot more fun while they're doing it"
  • Options
    "I felt that I wanted the world to be in uniform and a sort of moral attention forever; I wanted no more riotous excursions with privileged glimpses into the human heart."

F. Scott Fitzgerald
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    From "The Dead." James Joyce.

"His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    a cousin of my mine who is no longer around once said this to me and always stuck with me

pain is beauty and beauty is pain
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Depression is anger without enthusiasm...my friend Andrea...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    edited December 2019
    Die not, poor death, nor yet canst thou kill me

John Donne

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    This is from one of Winston Graham's Poldark novels, not sure which one.  Just stared the 12th and final of the series.  I highly recommend them.  Anyway, I lost my brother, my best friend, 5 years ago now.  This quote stuck with me so much so that I wrote it down and have it posted on my fridge.  "Those who are left are different people trying to live the same lives."