Options

Rolling Stone - 100 Best Songs of the Decae

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
edited December 2019 in Other Music
Winner:

“I’m right over here, why can’t you see me?” Robyn might as well have been singing to U.S. pop audiences in the 2000s, who mostly ignored her as she spent years refining her bright, fizzy synth-pop sound to perfection. Then came “Dancing on My Own,” the killer single that elevated her to something approaching voice-of-a-generation status among America’s burned-out youth. Written and produced with fellow Swedish ace Patrik Berger, it’s a relatable hit of heartbreak at the club, with a chaser of empowering uplift — exactly the disco anthem we needed in the long hangover of the subprime-mortgage crisis. And while she’s no torch-song diva, Robyn sang the hell out of this one, sounding as warm and human as the precision-engineered track isn’t. “Dancing on My Own” just kept building as the 2010s went on, soundtracking a memorable scene in HBO’s Girls and countless karaoke nights across the nation. “All the big pop acts that I’ve been into over the years — whether it’s ABBA or Prince — managed to combine amazing melodies and honest human emotion,” Robyn told one interviewer. “But coming out of the super-super-commercial pop industry in the Nineties, maybe people forgot about the fact that pop music can do both of those things.” —S.V.L.

https://youtu.be/J294A-R1Cjk

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/the-100-best-songs-of-the-2010s-917532/coldplay-every-teardrop-is-a-waterfall-song-917645/

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Compared with just about any other decade in the last 70 years I would have to call this list depressing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    IDK about that. Looks like a pretty banging list. Top 10 is all heat.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Compared with just about any other decade in the last 70 years I would have to call this list depressing.
    More depressing than being so far away but still so near? The lights come up, the music dies. But you don't see me standing here. I just came to say goodbye. I'm in the corner, watching you kiss her. And I'm giving it my all, but I'm not the guy you're taking home.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Bubble gum hit Dancing on my own is a banger and number 1?

I would disagree.

I really like The Weekends song w Daftpunk Starboy.  I'd give that #1.
  • Options
    Bubble gum hit Dancing on my own is a banger 
    Yes. for fucking sure.

https://youtu.be/aQ-vU28uPb0
  • Options
    Not a bumble gum hit. Stone cold dancefloor banger.

Now, Call Me Maybe is a bubblegum hit.

of course that slaps too.

• Options
    I'm glad there are some of you out there that like what's going on in music, maybe even envy you a bit.  But honestly, to my ears it's mostly stuff I'd just as soon not hear.  And I consider myself as having broad tastes in music.  And it's not for lack of trying.  I sample just about everything people recommend to me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I’ve have only heard OF seven or so of those songs. And I have a 17 year old daughter. That was the worst list I have ever read or I’m old as shit. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Yes. for fucking sure.

I applaud bands that do this actually.  

I dug when Adams did 1989.

I did not did Robyn Adams song...
  • Options

Call me maybe is fun but it's not the best of the 2010's...

Robyn reminds me of Teegan and Sarah.  I like Teegan and Sarah.

I'd even vote for Adelles sad ass song Hello as better than that.

Rolling Stone trying to be hip but still misses the mark...

I'd even throw in Old Town Road in the ring.
  • Options
    OK, so I'm familiar with some of these "top 100 songs of the decade" and listened to or sample some others and what I want to know is, how does R.S. not include a song like "Tiny" that is so much better than whole bunch of that other stuff?

• Options
    I mean its all just opinion, but its not really a new sound or pushing things forward. Its good to great, but not really decade defining. Even Pitchfork, who love Djr didn't have any of their records in their top 200 of the decade. 
  • Options
    I mean its all just opinion, but its not really a new sound or pushing things forward. Its good to great, but not really decade defining. Even Pitchfork, who love Djr didn't have any of their records in their top 200 of the decade. 
    No way an older group with a new album is making it on any music critics list unless he was from that era or really loved the band.

I don't expect Lightning Bolt to be on any sort of list.
  • Options
    It really has to be a defining album from a classic artist to make it. Blackstar is the only one to come to mind really. 

I mean hell, MBV came back huge and its s/t didn't make any lists. 

I'm digressing, these are albums, not songs. That being said, I get how most of the 2010s songs are 2000s acts and that tracks. I get that modern music isn't for everyone, but it doesn't mean its not great. 
  • Options

Call me maybe is fun but it's not the best of the 2010's...

Robyn reminds me of Teegan and Sarah.  I like Teegan and Sarah.

I'd even vote for Adelles sad ass song Hello as better than that.

Rolling Stone trying to be hip but still misses the mark...

I'd even throw in Old Town Road in the ring.
    If you like Tegan and Sara - why are you calling them Teegan and Sarah?
  • Options
    Yes. for fucking sure.

I applaud bands that do this actually.  

I dug when Adams did 1989.

I did not did Robyn Adams song...
    Both versions of 1989 are awesome. But I prefer Ryan Adams over Taylor Swift but barely. Have both on vinyl. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Sacrilege and blasphemy!

(But, yes, I am biased.  :wink:  :lol: )

But seriously, yes, opinion is totally involved.  No one can make an "absolute" best 100 list of music.  It's lame of R.S. to even do so.  That shit should have ended in the 80's.

I have to add that I'm not sure what any of these now 2010's songs have added to music.  I haven't heard anything that I would consider ground breaking in music in a long time.  I'm not even sure that is possible.  Perhaps if a new tonal scale were created or if humans evolved to having more fingers or grossly bigger hands or three arms.  I just very little if anything that breaks the code happening anymore.  Maybe Wold Eyes.  Otherwise, it's all just variations on already established themes related to pop, rock, country, folk, hip hop, and electronica genres.  And I'm not just saying that because I'm a boomer.  I never gave up on listening to new stuff like my peers have.  When it comes to music, I'm still 18 and eager for more.  And pretty hungry that way these days.
    Post edited by brianlux on