History of the treatment of Native Peoples in the Americas..

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
edited June 2019 in A Moving Train
I didnt search if there was one. And I didnt want to derail the Dem thread any longer. Meltdown is right, it isnt discissed nearly enough or even loudly when it is.

I imagine a place to share knowledge, links to literature, argue somewhat about present treatment.

I am personally ashamed of this as well as other aspects of our history.

I did the ancestry testing. from that I did some family tree work. I am from Northern Europe. English. Scottish. Welsh. Irish. German. Dutch.

The Dutch arm were directly involved in slave trade. Out of Liberia into Brazil.

great grandfather(several gens back of course) was killed during Jamestown Massacre. Family entered North America at just about most ports on the east coast. Massachusetts down to Virginia. Early settler shit.....
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    So, obvious choices are

Bury My Heart...

and Zinns UNABRIDGED  Peoples History which not only covers Native peoples but the slave trade both ways....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Ken Burns documentary The West is really good when it comes to this issue. 
    I might just watch that again soon , it’s been awhile. 
    Some of the parts when they are talking about the history and some Indigenous music kicks in combined with images of Native peoples and scenery, really hits the soul hard. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    A comment from Mickey that was posted on the Dem candidates thread...

like race. its a whole lot of fucking over to cop to. once you do THEN  you gotta do SOMETHING to make amends for it.... and of course there is listening closely to the experience of those affected which can be hard to do...

INSTEAD 
    we'll talk about shit the elicits an emotional response for shit that stands a snowballs chance in hell of passage much less benefiting in a meaningful way for most...

I have to agree, once you admit there is a problem you have to deal with it.

In Canada, we are currently undergoing reconciliation with our 1st nations people's...it will be a slow process.

This is likely one of the most atrocious things that were ever done to 1st nations people's.

The Residential School System (Canada also ripped children away from their parents, in their own country).
    https://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/the_residential_school_system/

Give Peas A Chance…
    Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
    https://www.rcaanc-cirnac.gc.ca/eng/1450124405592/1529106060525

AN ACT OF GENOCIDE: CANADA’S COERCED STERILIZATION OF FIRST NATIONS WOMAN
     https://intercontinentalcry.org/canadas-coerced-sterilization-of-first-nations-women/

'Genocide' Was Committed Against Canada's Indigenous Women, an Inquiry Found
    https://time.com/5600293/canada-indigenous-women-genocide/
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    An amazing book, by Nathaniel Philbrick, author of Heart of the Sea and the Tragedy of the Whaling Ship Essex, of which Mobey Dick was based, is The Last Stand, the story of Custer, Little Big Horn and Sitting Bull. Excellent read but tragic. What a colossal loss.

https://www.nathanielphilbrick.com/books/the-last-stand/

And it reads extremely well and is thoroughly historically researched. It ain’t no Bill O’Reilly Killing Lincoln or Kennedy garbage.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited June 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    So, obvious choices are

Bury My Heart...

and Zinns UNABRIDGED  Peoples History which not only covers Native peoples but the slave trade both ways....

Both excellent choices, Brown's BMH particularly relating to Native Americans. 

I asked one of our Indian customers who always goes right to the Native American literature section for some recommendations on books on the subject.  He said, "Well, to start with, I would say you'll learn the most by reading works by Indians."  So I started delving into Native American writers and the ones I've liked the most so far are:

Paul Chaat Smith (Comanche):  Everything You Know About Indians is Wrong, and Like a Hurricane; The Indian Movement From Alcatraz to Wounded Knee.
    Dennis Banks (Ojibwa):  Ojibwa Warrior (and the Rise of the American Indian Movement).
    Charles A. Eastman (Ohiyesa, Sioux):  Indian Heroes and Great Chieftains
    Joseph M. Marshall III (Rosebud Sioux):  The Lakota Way

As for other non-native writers, I really like Kent Nerburn's workHis Chief Joseph & the Flight of the Nez Perce is massively informative but will tear your heart out.  And his book Neither Wolf Nor Dog is probably the number one book I would recommend for non-native readers. It is a story about Nerburns meeting and spending time spent with a Lakota native name Dan who had read some of Nerburn's earlier work and asked him to write his own story as well.  It really reveals the history and plight of the Native American and lays bare a lot of the misconceptions whites have about Indians- particularly things like cultural appropriation and wanna be's.  In the Introduction, Nerburn says:

"I realize that there will be a great many Indian readers who will be skeptical about my decision to undertake this task [the book].  You have seen your people misinterpreted, misrepresented, and unconscionably by white writers of both good and bad heart.  To you, my friends, who feel this way, I can only say that you should judge me by what I do. ...most of all, I believe you will see that I am not one of those most pernicious breed of white writer who claims to have met some wisdom bearing elder who has unaccountably decided to share his or her innermost cultural secrets and teachings with me."  Dan shares his life story and the history of Indians, but not the cultural wisdom or secrets.

As to that statement about "pernicious white writer", I can think of  at least a couple of popular works on Native Americans that fall into this category, one very popular work in particular that most Indian writers scoff at.  Yes, that one. 

As for why I use of the term "Indian" and "Native American", well, Dan said  "Indian" came about "because Columbus didn't know where he was and "Native American" uses the term "American" which is a European term.  He like using tribe names instead.  So I don't know what else to say.  (Although I like the Canadian "First Nations").  I just don't know all the tribes well enough to do so.

EDIT:  Even though I mentioned them elsewhere, I should also add B. Traven's Government/Jungle novels for great reading about the historical plight of natives in Mexico, Central and South America.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    So, obvious choices are

Bury My Heart...

I asked one of our Indian customers who always goes right to the Native American literature section for some recommendations on books on the subject.  He said, "Well, to start with, I would say you'll learn the most by reading works by Indians."  So I started delving into Native American writers and the ones I've liked the most so far are:

Paul Chaat Smith (Comanche):  Everything You Know About Indians is Wrong, and Like a Hurricane; The Indian Movement From Alcatraz to Wounded Knee.
    Dennis Banks (Ojibwa):  Ojibwa Warrior (and the Rise of the American Indian Movement).

As for other non-native writers, I really like Kent Nerburn's workHis Chief Joseph & the Flight of the Nez Perce is massively informative but will tear your heart out.  And his book Neither Wolf Nor Dog is probably the number one book I would recommend for non-native readers. It is a story about Nerburns meeting and spending time spent with a Lakota native name Dan who had read some of Nerburn's earlier work and asked him to write his own story as well.  It really reveals the history and plight of the Native American and lays bare a lot of the misconceptions whites have about Indians- particularly things like cultural appropriation and wanna be's.  In the Introduction, Nerburn says:

"I realize that there will be a great many Indian readers who will be skeptical about my decision to undertake this task [the book].  You have seen your people misinterpreted, misrepresented, and unconscionably by white writers of both good and bad heart.  To you, my friends, who feel this way, I can only say that you should judge me by what I do. ...most of all, I believe you will see that I am not one of those most pernicious breed of white writer who claims to have met some wisdom bearing elder who has unaccountably decided to share his or her innermost cultural secrets and teachings with me."  Dan shares his life story and the history of Indians, but not the cultural wisdom or secrets.

As to that statement about "pernicious white writer", I can think of  at least a couple of popular works on Native Americans that fall into this category, one very popular work in particular that most Indian writers scoff at.  Yes, that one. 

As for why I use of the term "Indian" and "Native American", well, Dan said  "Indian" came about "because Columbus didn't know where he was and "Native American" uses the term "American" which is a European term.  He like using tribe names instead.  So I don't know what else to say.  (Although I like the Canadian "First Nations").  I just don't know all the tribes well enough to do so.

EDIT:  Even though I mentioned them elsewhere, I should also add B. Traven's Government/Jungle novels for great reading about the historical plight of natives in Mexico, Central and South America.
    an out of print book referenced on the Bury wiki page is one I'm going to look into. Late 1800s A Century Of Dishonor by Helen Hunt Jackson. She apparently sent copies to all in Congress to motivate remedy and change. If course nothing came of it .
    E copies are available if a physical copy cant be found...

thanks for the list....

call me dense but what THAT one do you refer?

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    So, obvious choices are

Bury My Heart...

an out of print book referenced on the Bury wiki page is one I'm going to look into. Late 1800s A Century Of Dishonor by Helen Hunt Jackson. She apparently sent copies to all in Congress to motivate remedy and change. If course nothing came of it .
    E copies are available if a physical copy cant be found...

thanks for the list....

call me dense but what THAT one do you refer?
    Thanks for the Helen Hunt Jackson recommendation, I will look for it.

I was referring to John Neidhardt's Black Elk Speaks.   I'm sorry for being so vague about that  "most pernicious breed of white writer who claims to have met some wisdom bearing elder who has unaccountably decided to share his or her innermost cultural secrets and teachings" by saying that book.  I don't like to say negative things about books (or music, for that matter), but this book is practically despised by many Native Americans, particularly Native American writers. Critics point out that Neidhardt exaggerated or altered Black Elks words to make the book more interesting and marketable to white audiences. Years ago, I had someone tell me I had to read that book because it was so full of wisdom and spiritual insight.  This was someone I know and very much like but years later, I came to discover she (as I had, when I read the book) had been mislead by a white author trying to glamorize and polish a Native American experience.  This is why I like Kent Nerburn's Neither Wolf Nor Dog so much- his Lakota subject, Dan, makes very clear many non-native misconceptions about indigenous peoples.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

About the Canadian Native Flag

Looks like some great suggestion on books to read...thanks Brian and Mickey for the suggestion... :)
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited June 2019
    Native Land

Looks like some great suggestion on books to read...thanks Brian and Mickey for the suggestion... :)
    A good resource to see 1st nation territory...
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Native Land

A good resource to see 1st nation territory...
    that flag is badass, says, WE are part of the greater whole......

edited July 2019
    Native American civil rightshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_civil_rights
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_civil_rights

Native American "government" is not government in the western sense of authority and control, but is more like leadership over a community.

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Native American civil rightshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_civil_rights

Native American "government" is not government in the western sense of authority and control, but is more like leadership over a community.

which seems to correlate to  traditional tribal leadership ..  

some good lessons to be learned from tribal culture throughout history...

mickeyrat said:

which seems to correlate to  traditional tribal leadership ..  

some good lessons to be learned from tribal culture throughout history...
    Oh man, yes.  We could do with a bit less "king-o-the-hill" government and a lot more tribal style leadership!

One day several years ago, a customer came into the bookstore who i knew to be Native American.  I had become interested in learning more about Indian culture and history and asked this fellow for a recommendation.  He said, "Well, I would start by reading books written by Indians".  That proved to be useful advice.  The best way to get a clear perspective on Native culture and history is from an Indian. 

Over the years, I have discovered that some supposedly "must read" books about Indians written by white writers are better off ignored at best, scorned at worst.  On the other hand, not all books written by white writers about Indians are trash.  A few are excellent.  The best I know of is Kent Nerburn's Neither Wold Nor Dog

This fine book has also been made into a film and that movie does the book justice in big ways.  I just can't say enough about how great I think it is. Dave Bald Eagle, who plays the old man Dan in the movie, saw the film before he died (at age 97) and said "it's the only film I've been in about my people that told the truth."

The book:

The film trailer:

Trudeau won’t commit to ending boil-water advisories on First Nations by 2021

https://globalnews.ca/news/7416559/trudeau-boil-water-advisories-first-nations-2021/

What a pos Trudeau is.  To be fair this is the fault of all political parties...but Trudeau is a joke...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    https://youtu.be/ejorQVy3m8E
    This song belongs here it’s not just America it’s every continent that has the stain of mistreatment of indigenous tribes! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2020
    My first wife was a full blood Chipewyan. I learned/witnessed first hand the irreparable multi-generational damage caused by the residential schools here in Canada. 
    My ex-wife was raised by her grandmother who did hot have running water or electricity until 1986 when she was 11 on the reserve. Her grandmother was a hard working person... but did not speak much English, was a devout Catholic and did not really know how to demonstrate love. My ex-wife’s mother was sent to residential schools and explained to me the difficulties she had there. When she was about to let her daughter be given up for adoption  the grandmother wouldn’t allow this to happen and subsequently raised her. 

My ex’s mother was definitely affected by the schools. I talked to her brother and while he said it was fine for him (star athlete and good student) he could understand why some people would struggle. She struggled to show love or compassion to any of her four children. All of these adult children were so different... it was really amazing to see. 

My ex-wife had two children from a previous relationship. While she loved the kids, there is no doubt, some of the lack of ability to share or demonstrate love was evident. I remember on more than one occasion asking her why she would ask (in anger) of her daughter “are you stupid?” when she was scolding her. 

My ex-wife held a lot of anger on how she was raised. It resulted in physical violence towards me. After being drunkenly attacked with a steak knife (I wasn't impressed she was out late) I had enough and left... forever. 

I tell this story because I do not harbour ill-will towards my ex. The Catholic church and Canadian government is responsible for what occurred. Years later my former step-daughter reached out as an adult to ask if she could come stay with me as she couldn’t handle her mother and how mean she was.  

I worry that when she has children the pattern will continue.  This multi-generational vicious cycle I witnessed.  The grandmother was a devout Catholic until she passed and was apparently not impressed with my ex-wife for “screwing up” our marriage.   Many Canadians who don’t understand the problems residential schools caused display their white privilege with comments about how the Indigenous peoples get free education, free housing on the reserve, cash, etc. like they lead some charmed life somehow. 

It’s blind racism in my mind. “Why don’t they work like the rest of us” is a common argument. Well they have to leave the reserve for one thing. The Canadian government pushed them into areas which are not often economically strong. When they move into the cities they can discover the inherent racism which exists that limits their opportunities to succeed economically. 
    Culturally, leaving the reserve comes with consequences. The elderly are revered in their culture... you are expected to be there for them. Often the elder don’t understand why they leave the reserve. The elders are blindly devout Catholics who have brainwashed several generations into the belief system... despite all the damage caused by the church and the residential schools whose one mission was to assimilate the indigenous children.  To essentially make them white. 

The last residential school closed in Canada in 1983. The government issued a formal apology recently. The long path to healing has begun... but too many white folks here don’t want to understand, don’t try to understand or don’t care to understand. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    My first wife was a full blood Chipewyan. I learned/witnessed first hand the irreparable multi-generational damage caused by the residential schools here in Canada. 
    My ex-wife was raised by her grandmother who did hot have running water or electricity until 1986 when she was 11 on the reserve. Her grandmother was a hard working person... but did not speak much English, was a devout Catholic and did not really know how to demonstrate love. My ex-wife’s mother was sent to residential schools and explained to me the difficulties she had there. When she was about to let her daughter be given up for adoption  the grandmother wouldn’t allow this to happen and subsequently raised her. 

My ex’s mother was definitely affected by the schools. I talked to her brother and while he said it was fine for him (star athlete and good student) he could understand why some people would struggle. She struggled to show love or compassion to any of her four children. All of these adult children were so different... it was really amazing to see. 

My ex-wife had two children from a previous relationship. While she loved the kids, there is no doubt, some of the lack of ability to share or demonstrate love was evident. I remember on more than one occasion asking her why she would ask (in anger) of her daughter “are you stupid?” when she was scolding her. 

My ex-wife held a lot of anger on how she was raised. It resulted in physical violence towards me. After being drunkenly attacked with a steak knife (I wasn't impressed she was out late) I had enough and left... forever. 

I tell this story because I do not harbour ill-will towards my ex. The Catholic church and Canadian government is responsible for what occurred. Years later my former step-daughter reached out as an adult to ask if she could come stay with me as she couldn’t handle her mother and how mean she was.  

I worry that when she has children the pattern will continue.  This multi-generational vicious cycle I witnessed.  The grandmother was a devout Catholic until she passed and was apparently not impressed with my ex-wife for “screwing up” our marriage.   Many Canadians who don’t understand the problems residential schools caused display their white privilege with comments about how the Indigenous peoples get free education, free housing on the reserve, cash, etc. like they lead some charmed life somehow. 

It’s blind racism in my mind. “Why don’t they work like the rest of us” is a common argument. Well they have to leave the reserve for one thing. The Canadian government pushed them into areas which are not often economically strong. When they move into the cities they can discover the inherent racism which exists that limits their opportunities to succeed economically. 
    Culturally, leaving the reserve comes with consequences. The elderly are revered in their culture... you are expected to be there for them. Often the elder don’t understand why they leave the reserve. The elders are blindly devout Catholics who have brainwashed several generations into the belief system... despite all the damage caused by the church and the residential schools whose one mission was to assimilate the indigenous children.  To essentially make them white. 

The last residential school closed in Canada in 1983. The government issued a formal apology recently. The long path to healing has begun... but too many white folks here don’t want to understand, don’t try to understand or don’t care to understand. 
    Thanks for sharing that very personal story. it is such an uphill battle with so many people. my ancestry is european, so i know virtually nothing about what aboriginals have gone through here over the years. but i cannot understand how people continue, as you mentioned, to think that somehow aboriginals get a free ride by living on welfare and getting "free schooling". it's just unreal. I fight with my parents (good people, but ignorant) about this whenever it comes up. even a guy i went to school with and work with, he has one friend that is aboriginal and is successful so that one anecdote is his barometer for how everyone should be able to lift themselves up. and none of these folks consider themselves racist, and they don't even think the system is racist. 

I can't imagine being aboriginal. I'm a white person and I get fucking angry just talking about it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Give Peas A Chance…
  • My first wife was a full blood Chipewyan. I learned/witnessed first hand the irreparable multi-generational damage caused by the residential schools here in Canada. 

Thanks for sharing that very personal story. it is such an uphill battle with so many people. my ancestry is european, so i know virtually nothing about what aboriginals have gone through here over the years. but i cannot understand how people continue, as you mentioned, to think that somehow aboriginals get a free ride by living on welfare and getting "free schooling". it's just unreal. I fight with my parents (good people, but ignorant) about this whenever it comes up. even a guy i went to school with and work with, he has one friend that is aboriginal and is successful so that one anecdote is his barometer for how everyone should be able to lift themselves up. and none of these folks consider themselves racist, and they don't even think the system is racist. 

I can't imagine being aboriginal. I'm a white person and I get fucking angry just talking about it. 
    Thanks for the kind words HFD. What you are describing is the very definition of white privilege.  Unless you listen and learn what the journey of life is like for other people you simply look at life through rose coloured glasses. 
    It’s took me long time to forgive my ex-wife. Taking the time to understand white privilege and realizing I benefitted so greatly from it, helped me better understand what life is like to those without it, such as her. Her anger was a symptom of this huge problem.

All people deserve the same privileges. The same opportunities. The same rights. The same respect. The same dignity. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6h38ugSQuzY1aQSkzcAJWs?si=B9SsQRVNQ3S4kS9XUhFC_Q
    This is from midnight oil advocating for the aborigines human rights but it could also apply to just about every nation that has exploited the rights of the native people..
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2020
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6h38ugSQuzY1aQSkzcAJWs?si=B9SsQRVNQ3S4kS9XUhFC_Q
    This is from midnight oil advocating for the aborigines human rights but it could also apply to just about every nation that has exploited the rights of the native people..
    Midnight Oil blew me away opening for the Tragically Hip in 1993 in Edmonton.  Just a great live act, high energy. 
    Peter Garrett has been vocal in his support of a aboriginal rights. He was elected to government in Australia... I wonder if he was able to do anything or found out he was just part of the machine? I’m going to look into that a little bit. 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Speaking of the Hip, Gord Downie’s last solo project was a concept album about a young boy from a First Nations reserve who died in 1966 while trying to return home after escaping from one of Canada’s Horrible residential schools. 
    All proceeds from the album and book are being donated to the University of Manitoba’s National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation project.

Gord really wanted to make a difference... and he was counting on Trudeau (apparently a big Hip fan who was at their last show in a luxury box) to help. Nothing has changed as Trudeau is all talk regarding just about anything 

A land dispute in Ontario.  

Agreed Trudeau is all talk ;;;

The guy is an idiot...

There appears to be a Conservative leader that Canada may not have seen in quite some time.  I hope more Canadians give O'Tool at least a look.  Canada needs a  change in leadership...

Six Nations and Caledonia residents clash over land claim dispute

https://globalnews.ca/news/7421333/six-nations-caledonia-land-claim-dispute/?utm_source=GlobalToronto&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2R1FPTVvaO_E29Gs3kYlZHtMS9sblmbbWfT79O8_lfR_K42DY9ITE3aEI
    Give Peas A Chance…
    for those wanting to help an individual, a family or the tribe on this reservation as a whole , this is one way to do that...

Midnight Oil blew me away opening for the Tragically Hip in 1993 in Edmonton.  Just a great live act, high energy. 
    Peter Garrett has been vocal in his support of a aboriginal rights. He was elected to government in Australia... I wonder if he was able to do anything or found out he was just part of the machine? I’m going to look into that a little bit. 

Yeah I’m not sure about what he did or wasn’t able to accomplish being part of the government, but this new EP is absolutely on point!

Midnight Oil: Aboriginal elder demands apology from Peter Garrett over McArthur River Mine diversion

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/9011092

quick google search turned up this....
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Midnight Oil: Aboriginal elder demands apology from Peter Garrett over McArthur River Mine diversion

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/9011092

quick google search turned up this....
    Yeah... my google searches showed he got swallowed up by the machine. You have to “work as a team from within”. 
    I think many a politician enters democratic government with good intentions but quickly finds there are party agendas which must be followed (getting re-elected) and therefore your own belief system must be compromised to differing levels. 

My only hope is the younger generations have done what my generation and the generations before refused to do... listen to marginalized groups of society. Understand what white privilege is and take steps to level the playing field for everyone. 

Once I understood white privilege (and accepted the fact I have benefitted from if greatly with many second chances and benefits of the doubt given to me simply because of the colour of my skin) then I could make responsible changes in my overall behaviour within society.
    My payroll deducted charitable donations through the United Way are now targeted to aboriginal homeless and youth programs here in Calgary. 

I am fortunate that my employer matches every dollar that I give to the Untied Way (of which 85 cents gets to the organization who need it) and also send the matched money to the organizations I want to support. Wealthy Philanthropists here in town then triple my donation. 
    This year my $10000 becomes $50,000 to aboriginal homelessness and youth programs. 

I am also volunteering time to the United Way where my skills can help. I am helping to paint an apartment and assemble the furniture for a placed homeless person here in the Northeast.

I say none of this for personal accolades. I say it because there are opportunities for all of us to do more. I am a changed person... a lot different than I was 5 years ago. A lot better person. I like myself a lot more. 
    I do everything to save the human race from itself, and two things I am doing today are to help reduce poverty and homelessness and to eat a plant-based diet. Next will be the purchase of an electric vehicle. I will always vote for government that is responsible on climate change and reducing poverty, particularly in special interest groups. Someday, a government will have the political will to make a difference and not simply provide lip service like the Trudeau Liberals here in Canada.

My fellow 10clubbers the world over generally hold Canada in high regards when it comes to social responsibility, however we should not gloat. We have many problems here and white privilege is at the root of almost all of it.  Even overt racism exists. An elderly white lady was discovered in my neighbourhood consistently dumping dogshit on the step of a local church. That church is a predominantly black church. I was simply mortified to learn of this. A while back a middle-aged white man was filmed spitting on and then kicking the passenger window/mirror of a young Asian fellow who was previously parked working on some documents.  The racial tirade escalated to what can only be described as shocking behaviour.  We can all be better.

We often hear about the horrible treatment and genocide of Native Americans/ First Nations People/ indigenous people in the U.S. and Canada, but there same brutality occurred in Mexico, Central America and South America. B Traven's "Jungle novels" fictitiously, viscerally and vividly chronicle the brutally sad fate of Mexican Native Americas just before and during the Mexican Revolution.  A truly great serious of books.