U.S. National Parks thread

Comments

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Horos said:
    This is a pretty cool state park we have here in Oregon. You can hike a loop and see like ten waterfalls.https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=151

I'm also surrounded by National forests so I buy a yearly pass.  
    I've been on a waterfall kick the past few years and have been trying to hit as many as I can. Looks like a fantastic waterfall hike...10 on one trail, wow!! Next time I go to the west coast I want to fly into northern Cali and drive up the coast to Washington. I will definitely try to remember this one. 
    We've been chasing waterfalls for years. This FB group focuses on the many treasures we have in the PNW. Lots of pro photos. https://www.facebook.com/groups/153315581696/
    #FHP
  • Horos said:
    Horos said:
    This is a pretty cool state park we have here in Oregon. You can hike a loop and see like ten waterfalls.https://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=151

I'm also surrounded by National forests so I buy a yearly pass.  
    I've been on a waterfall kick the past few years and have been trying to hit as many as I can. Looks like a fantastic waterfall hike...10 on one trail, wow!! Next time I go to the west coast I want to fly into northern Cali and drive up the coast to Washington. I will definitely try to remember this one. 
    We've been chasing waterfalls for years. This FB group focuses on the many treasures we have in the PNW. Lots of pro photos. https://www.facebook.com/groups/153315581696/
    "Don't go chasing waterfalls.  Stick to the rivers and lakes that you're used to."
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Here are some photos from Glacier NP between 8-17-19 & 8-21-19. Sorry for being so late in getting these added!

First, it starts with our hike to Avalanche Lake (via the Trail of Cedars). A beautiful hike along wooded rocky terrain on an overcast brisk morning. 
    The last 3 photos were taken on our 2nd day at the beginning of the famous Highline Trail. It's tough to see just how sheer that drop off is to the road below!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    The first 4 pictures below are a continuation of our Highline Trail hike. I took a lot of pictures on that 11.4 mile trail. We finished it at 3:30 p.m. That evening, at 8:00 p.m. the park closed this trail until further notice for, and I quote: "unusual grizzly bear activity." There were bear on the trail that day, but we did not see any. The big horn sheep crossed the path about 20' in front of us. We had our heads down looking at the rocky terrain to avoid falling. He caught us off guard! The Granite Park Chalet is 7.4 miles in. There are outhouses. No plumbing or electricity but it is a place where few can spend the night, or many stop for lunch.

The last 2 pictures were from the next day on the Hidden Lake Overlook trail. A pleasant surprise to see the mountain goat so closely. 

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Same day as the Hidden Lake Overlook trail (3.8 miles) we took another hike (3.8 miles) to see St. Mary Falls (pictured 1st) and Virginia Falls (pictured 2nd).

The following day started with a short 1.0 hike to Fishercap Lake to look for moose. Spoiler alert: found 1! The 3rd, 4th and 5th photos are all from this site. In the one with the trees reflecting in the water (looks like one of those magic eye pictures) you can see a few deer on the waterline as well.

After pur time there, we drove down to the Two Medicine area of GNP. We only did 1 short hike from here (1.8 miles) to an overlook on the last photo. Such a quiet place of the park in contrast to the other trails.

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Wowww DT. These pictures and anecdotes are all so amazing. It really makes me want to hit the road again. I'm going to reread them now. So much to take in. 

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    mcgruff10 said:
    ^^I'm hoping you were enjoying a beach side sunrise still intoxicated from a night long drink fest. The night the McGruffs brought their 17th child into the world.

B) 
    Lol. Factory is closed my friend!!
    we absolutely loved North Carolina @ha@hauntingfamiliar
    next year we are thinking Vermont, new hanpshire or maybe Virginia Beach.  Not really sure. 
    @mcgruff10

My vote would be for Vermont! I went there earlier this summer and I'm now infatuated with Vermont.  I could be stuck in Waterbury, VT the rest of my life and never look back. It has everything I could ever want. Breathtakingly gorgeous scenic place, coffee roasters everywhere, Alchemist Brewey, Prohibition Pig for lunch, Cabot Cheese Factory, Ben & Jerry's Factory tours and Cold Hollow Cider Mill for some apple cider donuts and corn hole. Camp for a few days and then head into Burlington and check out Lake Champlain and more Ben & Jerry's. ;)

Alchemist 

edited October 2019
    After our time in Glacier, we make our way to the Great White North. It is the first time either of us has left the States. A few hours later, we find ourselves driving by the world famous Prince of Wales hotel in Waterton Lakes NP in Alberta Canada (we stayed there for the night - 3rd photo is the view from our room overlooking Waterton Lake, Canada, US, town of Waterton). Prior to settling in, we spent some time taking in the town and cruising on a tour boat in Waterton Lake. The boat cruise awarded us with crossing international waters and seeing where the US/Canadian border was. A neatly cut path up the mountainside to clearly mark the border made me smile in the wake of so much wall talk. We were also fortunate enough to see a few bald eagles, so that was pretty neat. Unfortunately, our time did not allow for us to take the Crypt Lake hike. That looks amazing.

After our stay at the Prince of Wales, we worked our way further north. Temporarily bypassing the town of Banff, we made a quick trek to Kootenay and Yoho Canadian NP's. We weren't hiking either of these due to time constraints and sore bodies from the prior hikes. 

Post edited by darwinstheory on
    After a brief trip through Kootenay and Yoho NP's in Canada, we stopped by the famous Lake Louise. Unfortunately, the camera angle does not reflect the true blue color of the lake, but that mountainous backdrop is amazing. From there, it was time to check into our hotel in the town of Banff. While the girlfriend was getting ready for dinner, I ran down to the lake or room was overlooking. The 2nd photo is from there. Totally unexpected, but a really great picture.

The next day, we went further into Banff NP and into Jasper NP. Along the way, we spotted the black bear (photo was in zoom). As we continued north, the mountains get taller and the lakes become bluer. Is that a word? Bluer? 

• rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Goddamn your pictures keep outdoing themselves. 
    Thank you! All credit goes to mother nature and the continued efforts of the NPS in both the US and Canada. There's really some humbling, beautiful things to see out there! One just has to go experience it! Pictures VERY seldom do the sceneries justice.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    ^^I'm hoping you were enjoying a beach side sunrise still intoxicated from a night long drink fest. The night the McGruffs brought their 17th child into the world.

B) 
    Lol. Factory is closed my friend!!
    we absolutely loved North Carolina @ha@hauntingfamiliar
    next year we are thinking Vermont, new hanpshire or maybe Virginia Beach.  Not really sure. 
    @mcgruff10

My vote would be for Vermont! I went there earlier this summer and I'm now infatuated with Vermont.  I could be stuck in Waterbury, VT the rest of my life and never look back. It has everything I could ever want. Breathtakingly gorgeous scenic place, coffee roasters everywhere, Alchemist Brewey, Prohibition Pig for lunch, Cabot Cheese Factory, Ben & Jerry's Factory tours and Cold Hollow Cider Mill for some apple cider donuts and corn hole. Camp for a few days and then head into Burlington and check out Lake Champlain and more Ben & Jerry's. ;)

Alchemist 

I just booked a week in New Hampshire with fam.  Staying in a lakeside cabin for a week right near Conway and mount Washington @hauntingfamiliar
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Sounds like a nice relaxing time. So long as the kids are not fighting. When is the trip?
    Sounds like a nice relaxing time. So long as the kids are not fighting. When is the trip?
    Mid August next year. By the way, glacier national park is my favorite spot in the lower 48. Looks like you had an amazing time.  
    Great pics @darwinstheory.

Doesn't get much bluer than this one.

#FHP
    Or this one not a NP though.

#FHP
    Horos said:

Crater lake?
    mcgruff10 said:
    Horos said:

Crater lake?
    Yes, the log is called The Old Man. Apparently it's been floating around the lake for years.
    #FHP
  • Horos said:

That water looks cold!!!
    Horos said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Horos said:

Crater lake?
    Yes, the log is called The Old Man. Apparently it's been floating around the lake for years.
    Yup.  I saw it back in 2003. I wasn’t a big fan of Portland but I loved everywhere else in Oregon. 
    Horos said:

Reminds me of some of the spots in Yellowstone. Looks like an awesome place to take a natural bath or something...though we all (should) know better.
  • Horos said:

Reminds me of some of the spots in Yellowstone. Looks like an awesome place to take a natural bath or something...though we all (should) know better.
    I pissed off the Grand Canyon once, sorry no pics...
    mcgruff10 said:
    Mid August next year. By the way, glacier national park is my favorite spot in the lower 48. Looks like you had an amazing time.  
    Surprisingly, I put Glacier in front of Yellowstone, which I did not expect. This only applies however, IF one is willing to bust out a backpack and some hiking boots. Obviously it was great to see so many of the sights at Glacier, but for me, it was putting in the extra effort to take the hikes  to see the sights. I am not fit like I should be and was extremely sore after completing the Highline Trail. But it was so rewarding. Not just simple little boardwalks everywhere. It felt real, pure, natural, refreshing, cleansing...etc...
    Horos said:

I don't know how I overlooked this post. I cannot say I am surprised but am quite fine without any pics. I'm sure thousands have pissed off the Grand Canyon, but, only 1 has done so while wearing PJ socks and holding a Zippo. You, sir, are an American Treasure!
  • Horos said:

I don't know how I overlooked this post. I cannot say I am surprised but am quite fine without any pics. I'm sure thousands have pissed off the Grand Canyon, but, only 1 has done so while wearing PJ socks and holding a Zippo. You, sir, are an American Treasure!
    TY very much.  

Might I add that you missed a most excellent opportunity to use the "You Are" thread...

So to you sir I say "You are" a failure...
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/266838/the-you-are-thread#latest 

Boom
    "You are" correct!
    Continuing north through Banff NP, we made our way into Jasper NP and up to the Columbian Icefields. Here, we were able to take a large bus (with 5 ft. tires) up to a small section of the Athabasca Glacier. I think this was the only thing on the trip we actually paid to do...and I was glad we did. I'm sure to some, it was over priced or whatever, but I REALLY for whatever reason, to walk on a glacier. About 45 minutes before we got there, we were fine in hoodies. A little chilly, but not bad. By the time we arrived at the Columbian Icefields, the sun was almost completely hidden by clouds, the temperature dropped and the wind was howling. LUCKILY, we packed winter coats, hats and gloves. Despite that, we were still freezing! After our time at the Athabasca Glacier, we made a brief stop at the nearby skywalk (similar to that of the Grand Canyon).

Then we began our trip back through Jasper and Banff NP's. We made a quick stop at Peyto Lake. Check out that blue color! And the shape of the lake! That was awesome to see. After this, we continued our way to Calgary and spent the night there. The next morning began our journey back home. Even though it was only Canada, I was admittedly a bit nervous approaching the border. Never thought it would be quicker and easier getting into the States than into Canada! 

Once back into the US, we wound our way back through Glacier NP one last time. It was a nive peaceful drive that really gave us an opportunity to reflect on our journey. We ended up back in Kalispell that night and to the airport the following morning. That was it. The fun was over...mostly. I have tried to document and photograph things in such a way that it is easy for us to remember/relive the experiences, so we have that going for us.  B)

Now...where to next year!?!?!?!? I'm thinking I'll get a week off in either June or late May. Then, depending on PJ shows, maybe another week in late August/September. I have got to see and hike some more of these parks!

• Have you visited any:  Yes
    How many?  27ish
    Which ones?  Smokies, Shenandoah, Acadia, Voyageurs, Cuyahoga Valley, Badlands, Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Olympic, Mt. Rainier, North Cascades, Crater Lake, Redwoods, Sequoia/Kings Canyon, Yosemite, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Capital Reef, Mesa Verde, Carlsbad Caverns, Guadalupe Mountains, Big Bend
    Rank favorite to least favorite?  Impossible; some favorites are Glacier, Yosemite, Smokies, Acadia, N. Cascades, Zion, Redwoods, Tetons & Big Bend.  Lease favorite is Cuyahoga
    Key points (from each park)? Too much to list
    What time of year did you visit? The Smoky Mountains are in my backyard so I'm there at all times of the year.  Been to Acadia twice both in the summer.  Most other parks were visited between late summer/fall 
    Was it worth the trip?  Every last one
    Do you plan on visiting all National Parks?  Not a goal, but could happen someday 
    Do you plan on visiting any more?  Yes
    If so, which ones?  Visiting Alaska next year so we'll visit whatever we can reasonably get to without crazy travel accommodations; i.e. seaplanes, helicopters, etc.  I'm sure we'll visit Lassen, Pinnacles, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Great Basin, Great Sand Dunes, Rocky Mountain, Teddy Roosevelt, 
    Which one is next?  Based on our road trip route next year, most likely Teddy Roosevelt
    Any must share stories?  Lots of stories.  First ever hiking experience in grizz country we came about 15' from a good size grizzly.  We had just acquired bear spray not an hour earlier from some guys in a parking lot getting ready to head to the airport.  We escaped without confrontation, but scared the shit out of me.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    ^^^Awesome! Freaking awesome sauce! You have any great pictures to share? I have really enjoyed the participation of others in this thread. It has been great to read.
  • ^^^Awesome! Freaking awesome sauce! You have any great pictures to share? I have really enjoyed the participation of others in this thread. It has been great to read.
    Check out nowheretogobutanywhere on instagram if you use it to see photos 
    We were but stones your light made us stars