World's fastest ant, faster than Bolt (relatively speaking)!

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
In the interest of inclusion of the animal kingdom in all things running, we now move from the marvelous feet of Eliud Kipchoge's amazing sub two hour marathon to the marvels of the world's fasted ant.  I present to you, The Saharan Silver Ant, capable of covering a distance of one meter (about 108 times it's body length) per second.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Insane
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Insane
    Indeed!

I'm in a buggy mood today have had a stick bug jump down on me from a shelf today at work.  But ohhhhh, if it had done that to my wife!  Screams! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

is that the same as a stick insect?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    is that the same as a stick insect?
    No, they're what's known as a true bug (bugs are a subset of insects that have straw like mouth parts but not the three-part bodies.  I think there are other difference but I don't recall them all.) 

I'm not sure where stink bugs got their name.  Maybe they stink when stepped on?  I don't remember them ever jumping so it probably flew onto me.  Maybe just trying to be friendly, lol.

Here's what a stink bug look like:

Cute little fellers!

You said 'stick bug' in your post above, typo haha. That's why I asked if it's the same thing.
    Cute.
    You said 'stick bug' in your post above, typo haha. That's why I asked if it's the same thing.
    Cute.
    Blasted typos!  :lol: 

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Stink bugs are taking over the world, but they only stink when they are killed.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    Malroth said:
    Stink bugs are taking over the world, but they only stink when they are killed.
    They must have nasty guts!

I've never stepped on one.  If I see a bug in the house,  I liberate it from the Wrath of Kitty Cat every change I get. 

You peaked my curiosity.  Taking over the world?  Sounded far fetched but, ah ha!, it appears they are running rampant in America!

Chinese Stink Bugs Are Taking Over America

I love it- the article claim, "These bugs are hardy sons of bitches." 

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    These are the stink bugs we have in central California. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    These are the stink bugs we have in central California. 
    Cute little fellow!

Also know as a Darkling Beetle:

• We have thè brown stink bugs...they let off an almond like scent or banana type smell...slow movers...fascinating to watch at times...
    We have thè brown stink bugs...they let off an almond like scent or banana type smell...slow movers...fascinating to watch at times...
    Mmmm, sounds more like an Aroma Bug!

• Yes they are aromatic at a distance but if they let off or are accidentally squished it is quite pungent...didn't know they were such a bad bug hardy son of bitches  that they are though!
    Yes they are aromatic at a distance but if they let off or are accidentally squished it is quite pungent...didn't know they were such a bad bug hardy son of bitches  that they are though!
    Amazing how tough some bugs are!