Options

Does anyone do any side jobs online?

Quick backstory, I’m on a full disability because of a brain disease that is very similar to MS. Like most diseases, I have good days and bad days. On good days, I’d like to make some extra money because, well, making it on disability alone is very difficult. I’ve been working on licensing music, but that takes time.  So I’m looking for things that can be done from home online. 
I’ve done some pretty basic searching and see the obvious things like taking surveys or whatever but it’s hard to find out what is legitimate anymore. 
Does anyone have any suggestions for a place to work with? 

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    Good to see you around but I’m sorry I don’t have any ideas. Good luck with this and with your disease. Hopefully, your goodness will be paid back in karma.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    What is your background in, ledvedderman? At one point some years ago I heard about a sideline in a form of editing/journalism. You would read scientific papers and summarize them into a few hundred words for online publications that print these sorts of round-ups of new info. If you have a science background, that could work, but I assume they have similar jobs for other non-science fields as well.

Good luck!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    While I don't know any specifics offhand, I have a few friends who have side gigs online.  I'll ask a few questions.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I'm hoping to. I opened up an Etsy shop last week where I hope to sell original paintings and prints of paintings. 

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    edited October 2019
    I'm hoping to. I opened up an Etsy shop last week where I hope to sell original paintings and prints of paintings.
    I used to sell stuff on ebay.  It was actually kind of fun.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    I used to sell stuff on ebay.  It was actually kind of fun.
    I'd like to turn it into a part time income stream. But I need to start painting and adding items for sale first.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I really appreciate it. My background was in politics and election administration, but I’m not sure those are really still in play given the changes that have taken place in my brain. I’ve always had a skill for marketing, so helping businesses with their social media has been an idea...but I’m just not sure where to even start with that. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    edited October 2019
    Medical Transcriptionist. I'm not exactly sure what the job entitles but I have come across people who do this from home either on the side or full time. 

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    This might be of some help:

https://www.flexjobs.com/

Good luck, man. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Thank you, Juggler and Jimmy! I’m going to check both of those suggestions out. 
    This community is so awesome. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Thanks from here too!  Health stuff is keeping me from a "traditional" job for the foreseeable future, so this could be up my alley as well.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    I've been told online test grading jobs are a decent way to earn some extra income.  I don't have any personal experience with that, but here's a link that gives some info.

Good luck and best wishes to ledved and Hedo!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    edited October 2019
    Have you thought about tutoring schoolchildren? Might not be online but if you’re good at a certain subject it might be an option. It would only be one child and they’d come to your place 

other than that here are some ideas: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/work-from-home-careers-3542835
    the first one we also use at work. It’s quite difficult to get good call center agents so work-at-home models are on the rise (here at least)

good luck!
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    This community IS awesome,  Brian. You are so right. 

I'm disabled also OP & I've thought about this very subject many times. 

I have done a lot of research studies through the years,  not on line. I've also cleaned houses & taught ESL classes.

But I have long periods now when I have difficulty getting out so the small income & interaction with people is gone. 

There are great suggestions here.  Im going to check them out & I'll post if I find anything else. 

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope it helps you & maybe a couple more of us.  It always feels good when you realize there are other people in the same situation as you.  Makes me feel like less of an oddity. Good luck. 
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Have you thought about tutoring schoolchildren? Might not be online but if you’re good at a certain subject it might be an option. It would only be one child and they’d come to your place 

other than that here are some ideas: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/work-from-home-careers-3542835
    the first one we also use at work. It’s quite difficult to get good call center agents so work-at-home models are on the rise (here at least)

good luck!
    I am thinking of tutoring undergraduate psychology students. $50 per hour approx.