The Amazon Rain Forest is on fire... and no one is talking about it.

2»

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:
    I have no idea how big of a problem this is or will be, but at what point would people be willing to send in troops? This is actually a scenario where if Brazil’s government doesn’t get their shit together then drastic measures seem necessary. Sorry to get all doomsdayish , but we can’t just let the rainforest burn down. IDK. I wonder how bad this will get, kind of reminds me of when that pipeline burst in the Gulf and everybody is just watching it happen , but can’t do anything about it.
    What do do is a tough question, Hi.  I'd say to start with, at the very least, we could all refuse to eat beef imported from South America.
    That would be a good start
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Was the election in Brazil legitimate? How could the people in Brazil elect such a person? Is there a crazy person revolution and uprising like what happened in America in 2016? I’m just trying to understand how this is going on. Well I understand the real answer. Money. Of course. But what’s the other answer. 

Side note. Local news says a California super tanker has landed in Brazil. Will they be allowed to help. I sure hope so because I don’t know any other options right now. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    clear cutting for the wood, the land, mineral exploitation etc  has been going on for a long time now..... the fires may seem like a more immediate threat but that damage/loss was already occurring. That loss  would be a contributor to climate change, yet THAT doesnt get it's  due.

How much did clear cutting here in the US set the stage fro some of the weather events we see now. Loss of top soil from poor farming practices. The list goes on. What are we doing here to amend that or mitigate that? Not nearly enough. 

This planet would be better with out humans. or at least "civilized" society......... fucking parasitic cancer.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mickeyrat said:
    clear cutting for the wood, the land, mineral exploitation etc  has been going on for a long time now..... the fires may seem like a more immediate threat but that damage/loss was already occurring. That loss  would be a contributor to climate change, yet THAT doesnt get it's  due.

How much did clear cutting here in the US set the stage fro some of the weather events we see now. Loss of top soil from poor farming practices. The list goes on. What are we doing here to amend that or mitigate that? Not nearly enough. 

This planet would be better with out humans. or at least "civilized" society......... fucking parasitic cancer.

The planets only hope is for humans to go extinct.  Even though the world knows what needs to be done...do not expect the world to really do much other than holding more climate change conference...set benchmarks that will never be met...just like the Paris agreement.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Those types of comments make me laugh and mad at the same time. Humans go extinct ... and wishing for it? That’s some serious red flag right there. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    Who is wishing for it?  People are just stating the obvious.  The fact remains that humans shit all over where they live, all the time.  Do wildlife and nature deserve this?  The world knows what needs to be done...but really fail to act...lazy people do not want to be inconvenienced and people are lazy.

And then when your POTUS says that Henry Ford would not be happy with cars that have decreased emissions...LMFAO.  I believe if Henry Ford was alive and running Ford they would lead the way in alternative fuels for vehicles...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Those types of comments make me laugh and mad at the same time. Humans go extinct ... and wishing for it? That’s some serious red flag right there. 
    What makes your survival more important than a Grizzly Bear?  Human arrogance, I would say.

I'd rather watch a Grizzly bear than associate with most people on earth...people are selfish assholes.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    What makes your survival more important than a Grizzly Bear?  Human arrogance, I would say.

I'd rather watch a Grizzly bear than associate with most people on earth...people are selfish assholes.
    I’m sure the grizzly bear would be more interested in it’s survival than a humans. You are just being silly.  
    hippiemom = goodness

It’s a good thing you are Canadian and can’t access guns with your attitude to the human race. 
    hippiemom = goodness

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited August 2019
     “The Amazon produces a lot of oxygen, but so do soy farms and [cattlepastures.”

Oh damn, a particular Swedish vegan here is going to lose his shit...way to go!

PJPOWER said:

LOL.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    PJPOWER said:

don't cattle also produce green house gasses like methane?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    edited August 2019
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:

don't cattle also produce green house gasses like methane?
    Absolutely, more so where poor ranching methods are used (corporate) and the cattle are fed a poor quality diet.  I would include corporate dairies in the group of the worst.
    Non-corporate ranchers usually practice more sustainable methods and the quality of the meat is evident.  
    I’ll try to dig up the article I read yesterday, but US corn crops create as much or more oxygen as the Amazon (with the caveat that other resources are used to grow corn that rain forests do not) Around here, people grow and harvest their corn, the cattle graze the stubble (by products) and in turn fertilize the ground for next year’s crops.   The rest of the time, the cattle are usually on grass land.  The ranchers and farmers have somewhat of a symbiotic relationship.  
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/under-summer-sun-midwest-corn-belt-most-biologically-productive-place-earth-180950460/

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Some interesting points in this but some misleading ones, too. 

So we’re supposed to be happy that the Amazon isn’t burning at quite the highest rate it ever has been, even though it’s still high? That takes some real glass half full thinking. And the fact that 80% of the rainforest is federally protected means nothing when Bolsonaro has outright said that he won’t enforce those laws and is currently not just allowing but encouraging farmers to clear the rainforest. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

It’s a good thing you are Canadian and can’t access guns with your attitude to the human race. 
    LOL.  I'm not into harming people.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2019
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:
    I have no idea how big of a problem this is or will be, but at what point would people be willing to send in troops? This is actually a scenario where if Brazil’s government doesn’t get their shit together then drastic measures seem necessary. Sorry to get all doomsdayish , but we can’t just let the rainforest burn down. IDK. I wonder how bad this will get, kind of reminds me of when that pipeline burst in the Gulf and everybody is just watching it happen , but can’t do anything about it.
    What do do is a tough question, Hi.  I'd say to start with, at the very least, we could all refuse to eat beef imported from South America.
    I already only eat Canadian beef, and FYI, in response to the someone or other (can't recall who it was) that suggested McDonald's gets beef from South American: in Canada, McDonald's only uses beef from Canada, and according to google, McDonald's USA primarily uses USA beef, but also Australian, Canadian, and New Zealand beef. None is from South America. I'm sure South American McDonald's use South American beef though.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Bolsonaro denounces the Catholic Church's stance on the Amazon for its "leftist agenda", which is both horrifying and hilarious. Rarely has the administration of the Catholic Church been anywhere close to "leftist", though if it were true to its putative roots, of course it should be.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/23/bolsonaro-targets-the-catholic-church-over-its-leftist-agenda-on-the-amazon
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf