Options

What's for dinner? Vegan and Vegetarian Thread

Hello
I'm getting a bit fed up of making the same dinner all the time, so I'd like to ask people to share their dinner recipes. Nothing too time complex, just fresh tasty and healthy. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    This is one of my favorite sandwich recipes.  I have the ingredients just been too busy to make it yet this week.  
    Chickpea Salad
    1 15-ounce can low-sodium or no salt added chickpeas
    2 tbsp tahini
    1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    1 Tbsp maple syrup
    1/4 cup diced green onion
    1/4 cup diced celery
    1/4 cup sweet relish or dill pickles
    Pinch of salt & pepper
    For the Sandwich
    2 slices regular whole wheat bread
    Romain or green leaf lettuce
    Slices of red onion
    Sliced tomatoes
    Instructions
    1. Rinse and drain chickpeas; place in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher,
    leaving a few of the beans whole.
    2. Add the tahini, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, green onion, celery, and sweet relish to the
    chickpeas and mix until everything is well combined.
    3. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the chickpea salad onto one piece of bread
    4. Add lettuce, tomato, and more Dijon (if you prefer) to the second slice.
    5. Put them together and make a sandwich.
    6. Enjoy!

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Just had a slice of bread with ketchup on it... not sure that’s helpful :wink:
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    What is it that you're fed up making all the time?
    Pitas, flatbreads, wraps, tacos.  When you get bored of making the same meal, make that meal into one of those.  Also, small changes can make a meal entirely different.  Try following the same recipe but with different spices, sauces, swap out a main ingredient, or try a different finishing touch.  Buy something new at the market you've never cooked with before, kinda forces you to get creative and learn how to prepare different things.  You're gonna make some duds from time to time, but don't let it discourage you. 
  • Options
    Thanks @HesCalledDyer I like flatbread and recently put chilli on some flatbread which was nice :) always better with grated cheese too!

Thanks for the recipe @Riverrunner - I prefer humus to chickpeas but it's always nice to try something new.I

@JPPJ84 I think I'll pass on that but I really like sun dried tomato pesto with feta and black chopped olives in a toasty.... If you ever would like to improve on ketchup bread! I can also recommend jalapeno and cheese bread (it's baked that way)!

• Options
    Vegan Cabbage Casserole, with potatoes, mushroom sauce and black currant

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I’m not vegaterian but my dinner last night was. 

Salad and angel hair w an olive oil garlic sauté w butter an parsley. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    JPPJ84 said:
    Heinz?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Heinz?
    Hell no. A local one that actually tastes a bit like tomato, Werder.
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Poncier said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Heinz?
    If you want to taste tomato then put tomato on it.  you want ketchup then you put Heinz.  There is no substitute for ketchup.  If it tastes like anything else then it purely is not ketchup...

I'm looking for a wine that tastes more like a grape.  Got any recommendations?

I kid. i kid!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    JPPJ84 said:
    Poncier said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Heinz?
    I am serious and don't call me Werder. ;)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Best ketchup in the world, no one can tell me otherwise... And before you say it, tempo, yes it’s commie ketchup :tongue:

• Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Best ketchup in the world, no one can tell me otherwise... And before you say it, tempo, yes it’s commie ketchup :tongue:

I had to think on why the hell u called it "commie ketchup" then I remember the joke!

Well played sir, well played ya commie, lol!
  • Options
     ;) 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

I see pomegranate seeds! 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

I see pomegranate seeds! 
    Yes!!!!!!!  I should have mentioned what is in this delicious salad, no?

Spinach, Arugula, Parsley, avocado, cherry maters, orange, yellow and red, pomegranates and capers topped off w fresh ground peeper and truffle olive oil.

FYI this truffle infused olive oil is a game changer.  Stuff is delicious.  No need for balsamic.  The flavor is that good!
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited October 2019
    Hello tempo_n_groove,
    This looks way to good to just list a few ingredients. What's in the plate on the right? Is that spagetti? What is Angel hair? What's the chopped green stuff? Is that parsley or finely chopped spinach?
    Run me through how to make the salad on the left? The pomegranate makes it look really colourful. That looks like a really nice dinner!
    tempo_n_groove said:

Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing, I'd like to share my recipe for stuffed peppers: 
    Heat to boiling point some wholegrain rice and simmer for 20 mins, slice 3 large peppers (red, yellow and orange) in half and remove seeds, etc. Place face down on oven tray and place in 180 degree oven for up to 20mins.  Chop garlic and onion, add to heated olive oil in a pan on hob. Add quorn mince, tinned tomatoes and mixed herbs/basil. Simmer.  Add rice when cooked.  Take peppers out of oven and flip over.  Full with quorn mix.  Add grated cheese, parmeasan/mozzarella/cheddar or whatever you prefer, put back in over for 5 mins. Serve with chopped spinach for garnish.
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited October 2019
    I haven't got a photo as I didn't make that this evening, I can share another time.... But look what I found in the shops today, an Audrey Horne funko pop and a new CD :) She can keep my Eddie Vedder Funko pop company!

Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I just recently decided to go vegan. I've always been an athlete and I still play competitive golf, run Spartan Races and lift heavy in the gym. My daily caloric goal is 2079 and my macros work out to be 192g protein, 70g fat, and 170g carbs  I'm having trouble putting together a meal plan that will allow me to consistently hit those numbers. Any advice?

In the past I never supplemented protein because it was so easy to get my macros from food. But am I going to have to look at supplementing with a pea protein or something? Obviously fats and carbs are easy targets with this way of eating. Thanks!
  • Options
    vegan soup
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

vegan ice cream
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    What's vegan ice cream made from?
  • Options
    Looks nice, how do we make this please?

Spiritual_Chaos said:
    vegan soup

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    deadendp said:
    Can be lots of things. I have a family member with a dairy allergy so we’ve experimented with quite a few. We’ve had ice creams based on soy, rice protein, cashews, coconut, and probably some I’m forgetting. Some are quite yummy. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    You can make an avocado based ice cream as well
  • Options
    Here are some examples. 

https://urbanvegan.net/ice-cream-brands/
  • Options
    I thank you! 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    This one, cheap from Lidl and didn't taste all that good is made from coconut oil.

My mom bought some from the brand Oatly, which is made out of oats

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I just checked - the Ben and Jerry's vegan version is healthier than the non, but the non-dairy kind is fat and carbs through the roof!
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    I just checked - the Ben and Jerry's vegan version is healthier than the non, but the non-dairy kind is fat and carbs through the roof!
    Is anyone really concerned about that, given that you're eating ice cream? ;)