Options

Black Mountain

TallGuyCMTallGuyCM Posts: 328
edited March 2009 in Other Music
Saw Black Mountain at the Echoplex in L.A. last weekend, man oh man I can't recommend seeing them live highly enough!

For those not familiar with the band, they're a psychedelic rock band from Vancouver who are very reminiscent of Black Sabbath and Led Zep at times with their heavy riffs, but along with your standard solid male rock lead on vocals they also have an intense female singer who sounds somewhat like a combination of Grace Slick from Jefferson Airplane and Beth Gibbons of Portishead.

Especially you northwest folk, they're playing in Bellingham and Seattle in the next few days, check them out! Tickets for the L.A. show were only $12, you really can't beat that.

Best show of '09 for me so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8upxRhff7cE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    They are at Neumos in seattle this friday with the Sadies opening. Kick ass show it will be.

glad you like our pride and joy! they are a cool bunch of people.

p.s. - how long was bright lights at your show? ugh

p.p.s - great choice linking wucan, that song was blowing my mind a year ago. best on the album for me.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    TallGuyCMTallGuyCM Posts: 328
    They actually didn't play Bright Lights when I saw them on Saturday. I was expecting it, because they only have what, 18 songs total? And it's like 15 minutes long on the album. But yeah, didn't play it.

I hadn't been listening to the band that long when last weekend came, but Wucan was the one song during the show where I heard the intro and that first guitar riff and out loud said to myself "oh hellll yeah...", super happy that I was able to see that song live!

Yeah, anyone reading this who's going to see them...GET THERE EARLY for the Sadies!!! I'm not a big alt.-country guy, but these guys were incredible! The two vocalists are brothers from Toronto, one with a low vocal tone and the other with a higher voice that sang mainly harmonies. Both of these guys can play their guitars like motherfuckers, as someone who's played the guitar for 13 years they were absolutely mind-blowing to watch.
  • Options
    I love Black Mountain but when I saw them in April of 08 they closed with Bright Lights and it was extended too, blah. almost ruined the whole show for me, so fucking boring. they need to close with dont run our hearts around.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'd like to see these guys. I have their last album and I enjoy it but i don't think it is special. nothing bad, but nothing great either. It sounds like checking out their live show might get me more into them.

I'll keep an eye out for them. Thanks!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    doujodoujo Posts: 285
    sweet fn band. i really like both albums. haven't seen them live but really want to.
  • Options
    TallGUY CM, the also have an ep out (druganaut) and a bonus disc that came with a special edition of in the future is called future sounds, a few songs on there. get those two, if you are really digging them.

and I'm with you on the sadies, they are a great, great band, that plays really cool sounding music. its awesome to watch when they are on. seen them 4 or 5 times....One time was especially outstanding.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    I'll be at Neumos on Fri.huge fan of these guys. One of my favorite shows of all time was seeing Black Mountain, Ladyhawk, and Blood Meridian at a super tiny club in mpls.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    ValleyGalValleyGal Posts: 122
    Every time I listen to Black Mountain I just can't get over the Grace Slick vibe - in a good way. I've been trying to introduce this band to friends, but no one else seems to get them :(

Didn't Ladyhawke open for Wintersleep last February on the West Coast?
  • Options
    yeah, ladyhawk, (no e) opened for Black Mountain, and wintersleep last year. They are a kick ass band in their own right. fuckin love them more than Black Mountain actually.

AWESOME SHOW!

IMG_5533.jpg
  • Options
    ValleyGalValleyGal Posts: 122
    yeah, ladyhawk, (no e) opened for Black Mountain, and wintersleep last year. They are a kick ass band in their own right. fuckin love them more than Black Mountain actually.

AWESOME SHOW!

IMG_5533.jpg

I thought so . . .

I really enjoyed Ladyhawk's set at last year's Wintersleep show. I would definitely check them out again!
  • Options
    Ladyhawk is amazing.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    intodeep wrote:
    I'd like to see these guys. I have their last album and I enjoy it but i don't think it is special. nothing bad, but nothing great either. It sounds like checking out their live show might get me more into them.

I'll keep an eye out for them. Thanks!

Maybe it's the Wolfmother syndrome....the album is good but nothing special, yet when you see them live your perspective changes...

At least that was my feeling on Wolfmother...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    new album, "IV", comes out May 1 I believe. first song "Mother of the Sun" out now. it clocks in at 8:42. fucking epic riff to start it out. light up a fat one before turning it up.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    they had all their gear stolen on tour in Europe. they have set up a pledgemusic drive to raise money to get new gear. some cool stuff. two unreleased tracks from the IV sessions, some vinyl, and other stuff.

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/black_mountain_launch_pledgemusic_campaign_following_devastating_robbery
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Dave Grohl heaped super generous praise on these guys a few weeks ago- saying their recent release inspired him to get in the studio and start writing.

I'll find the tweet and repost.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Dave Grohl heaped super generous praise on these guys a few weeks ago- saying their recent release inspired him to get in the studio and start writing.

I'll find the tweet and repost.

saw that. Metallica also did the same a couple weeks back on facebook. I thought "wow, Black Mountain's sales just went up 1000%".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    seeing these guys again tonight. I actually thought their trajectory would have been higher after all the praise from those high profile acts. like, two of the biggest acts on the planet, and they are still playing the same shitty club (full disclosure: I love seeing bands there though) they did when they started 12 years ago. 

really dig the new record. Sad that Amber and Josh left, but they got Rachel from Sleepy Sun in her place. I was so bummed when Rachel left Sleepy Sun. They lost a huge dynamic when she left. Stoked to see the new lineup tonight. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    show last night was off the charts good. go see them if they come to your town. they have this thing where they have 20 free tickets per show. go to their website, and claim your free tickets. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Great to hear, can’t wait to see them in the UK. Love the new record! Thanks 👍