Alex Trebek diagnosed with cancer...

13»

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited June 2019
    basically his only hope to win was if she missed the question, making the amount of his bet pointless, other than to best her 'current' dollar total.  Betting just enough, if they both missed the question and she bet too much, he would hang on to win.  It was calculated giving him 2 potential victory scenarios.

Even if he bet it all, he still would have lost.   
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    MayDay10 said:
    basically his only hope to win was if she missed the question, making the amount of his bet pointless, other than to best her 'current' dollar total.  Betting just enough, if they both missed the question and she bet too much, he would hang on to win.  It was calculated

Even if he bet it all, he still would have lost.   
    Exactly. It was the only bet he could have made that gave him a chance to win.
    “By the time Final Jeopardy rolled around I knew my goose was cooked if Emma answered correctly,” Holzhauer wrote to me in an email. “It’s a little like needing a team to miss a last-second field goal—nothing you can really do but watch. I made peace with my fate before the clue for Final was even revealed.”
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Yeah he didn't throw the game. She found both daily doubles in Double Jeopardy and that was the difference.
    His wager made sense in that it prevented the guy in 3rd from catching him if he (James) happened (which is unlikely) to have answered wrong. His only chance was Emma getting it wrong. Very impressive game by all 3, only 1 wrong answer the entire game. I was doing pretty well, but had zero clue on Final Jeopardy.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Shakespeare sucks.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    PJ_Soul said:
    It was..... but I am kind of convinced he threw the game. What was with wagering almost nothing in final jeopardy? Makes no sense unless he decided not to try. If she had gotten it wrong or didn't wager basically everything, he would have won, so that he wagered next to nothing says he bailed IMO. I have seen the opposing arguments based on math, but they don't make much sense to me in practice.
    And why would he throw the game (literally right before beating the all-time record)? Who knows. Likely just for personal reasons.
    i've been saying for years, if you are losing going into Final Jeopardy you either need to bet nothing or everything.  Betting any other amount only costs you money if you win.  yes he couldn't win if she didn't miss but if she did miss his low bet only costs him money in the long run.  it never makes sense to bet any amount other than zero or it all if you are losing going into final jeopardy.  it drives me crazy when i see those in 2nd or 3rd place make any other wager (unless your goal is to finish 2nd).  

as for throwing the game I did see a story where is 4 year old daughter basically said she missed him and wanted him to lose...so there's that.  i wouldn't say he threw the game, but i don't think he was too upset he lost.
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    It was..... but I am kind of convinced he threw the game. What was with wagering almost nothing in final jeopardy? Makes no sense unless he decided not to try. If she had gotten it wrong or didn't wager basically everything, he would have won, so that he wagered next to nothing says he bailed IMO. I have seen the opposing arguments based on math, but they don't make much sense to me in practice.
    And why would he throw the game (literally right before beating the all-time record)? Who knows. Likely just for personal reasons.
    i've been saying for years, if you are losing going into Final Jeopardy you either need to bet nothing or everything.  Betting any other amount only costs you money if you win.  yes he couldn't win if she didn't miss but if she did miss his low bet only costs him money in the long run.  it never makes sense to bet any amount other than zero or it all if you are losing going into final jeopardy.  it drives me crazy when i see those in 2nd or 3rd place make any other wager (unless your goal is to finish 2nd).  

as for throwing the game I did see a story where is 4 year old daughter basically said she missed him and wanted him to lose...so there's that.  i wouldn't say he threw the game, but i don't think he was too upset he lost.
    He also had to only bet enough to stay ahead of 3rd place.  There were 3 people legitimately in this game.  He made the right move.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

He also had to only bet enough to stay ahead of 3rd place.  There were 3 people legitimately in this game.  He made the right move.
    Right, he was making sure the guy with 11K couldn't pass him if he answered wrong.
    Plus knowing him the 1399 has some significance like he got his first handy on January 3, 1999.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147
    Has a setback. Going back for chemo
    I miss igotid88
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Sad to see he passed away, best wishes to his friends, family and fans.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/11/08/alex-trebek-jeopardy-host-dead-dies-stage-4-pancreatic-cancer/
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    njnancy said:
    Sad news. 

Pain in your back that comes around to your abdomen is a sign not to ignore. 

My sister died within 3 months of diagnosis. It sucks.
    I am sorry about your sister. It does suck. My brother-in-law died in 2018 of pancreatic cancer at the age of 47. He survived four years with it which is considered a long time. But when the end came it came fast. It’s a brutal disease. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147
    R.I.P.
    I miss igotid88