Options

Who's your favorite baseball player currently? Who's your favorite baseball player of all-time?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Hard to choose an all time fav but Gibby is certainly up there from when i was kid.... grew up a tigers fan but c'mon...

https://www.mlb.com/video/kirk-gibson-s-heroic-at-bat-c2251025083
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Dislike:
    As a youngster: Will Clark
    All time: Barry Bonds
    Current: Yadier Molina
    Tough to disagree with any of those.
    3 red asses.  All awesome players but grade A jerks.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    edited August 2019
    Growing up, my favorite pitcher was Mad Dog Maddux. As a fellow pitcher I was in awe of his ability to paint corners and work his pitches without over powering speed. Loved that guy.

Favorite hitter was The Kid, Jr. Giffey as my friends used to joke. His love for the game and naturally ability to hit and field CF like a beast was amazing to watch. One of my favorite memories was following his run at the most consecutive games with a HR. Back in '93 the only way for me to do that was check the paper for box scores or listen to the post game wrap of my local Twins as they highlighted games around the league. And then it actually happened against the Twins and I got to hear it live on the radio. Amazing moment.

I'll have to think about my favorite today. I don't watch as much as baseball so it's hard to make a pick based on just stats and highlights. Without Mel Allen and This Week in Baseball to highlight different players, it's not as easy.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    This thread needed a bump for Spring Training...

As a Youngster = Rod Carew/Reggie Jackson
    Current = Mike Trout
    All-Time = Willie Mayes 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Yelich and Trout are must watch at bats.  Hopefully Alonzo has another good year.  
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Jason P said:
    Yelich and Trout are must watch at bats.  Hopefully Alonzo has another good year.  
    Cool to see Yelich sign long-term in Milwaukee.  Absolute steal in getting him from the Marlins and still doesn’t cost as high as Harper or Machado.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458
    uh, hello? barry bonds....GOAT.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Hard to choose an all time fav but Gibby is certainly up there from when i was kid.... grew up a tigers fan but c'mon...

https://www.mlb.com/video/kirk-gibson-s-heroic-at-bat-c2251025083
    “Gibby” belongs to Bob Gibson.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Jason P said:
    Cool to see Yelich sign long-term in Milwaukee.  Absolute steal in getting him from the Marlins and still doesn’t cost as high as Harper or Machado.
    Yeah, crazy good deal for MIL.  I feel like Yelich left $100M on the table but I think he will do just fine.  It's 10x harder to spend your money in Wisconsin then Florida.  They only make bass boats so big ... you live in Miami for six months and you start to become filled with the desire to make a gem bust of yourself to wear around town
  • Options
    I think it's tough in baseball to pay that much to one player though.  Hopefully this works out for Milwaukee, but unless you're one of the big boy markets (LA, New York), paying that much to one player makes it pretty rare to build a consistent winner.  In baseball, you can't just build around one or two high-paid players, you have to have several good players in their prime at the same time.  Usually, you have to build your farm system to accomplish that.  A few columns have the Brewers in the bottom 10 of MLB in minor league rankings.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Deferred money deal, smart on both parties.
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    Hmm.. Kevin Costner? 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Hmm.. Kevin Costner? 
    I mean...  you're not wrong.
  • Options