Options

New Springsteen

fgalpernfgalpern Posts: 208
Curious what folks think of the two new Springsteen solo songs released from his upcoming album. I like both, especially the first one, Hello Sunshine. It has a very 70s southern California feel to it. It will be a surprise if the album doesn't contain any outright political statements, since Bruce has been outspoken in the recent past.

10C Member # 6,9XX - from 1992 to Present, attended 40 shows and counting...

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    edited May 2019
    The short snippet of There Goes My Miracle sounded like that Bond song from Octopussy

https://youtu.be/bFurkDf6WXg
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    He also wrote an album's worth of E street material in a month.  

Bruce Springsteen won’t release his new album Western Stars until June 14th and the public has only heard a single song from it, but he’s already written a big batch of songs for a new E Street Band record that he says will lead to a tour. He shared the news with Martin Scorsese at a Netflix promotional event in Los Angeles.

“I’ve spent about seven years without writing anything for the [E Street] band,” Springsteen said according to an account in Variety. “I couldn’t write anything for the band. And I said, ‘Well, of course … you’ll never be able to do that again!’ And it’s a trick every time you do it, you know? But it’s a trick that, because of that fact that you can’t explain, cannot be self-consciously duplicated. It has to come to you in inspiration.”

He continued: “And then about a month or so ago, I wrote almost an album’s worth of material for the band. And it came out of just… I mean, I know where it came from, but at the same time, it just came out of almost nowhere. And it was good, you know. I had about two weeks of those little daily visitations, and it was so nice. It makes you so happy. You go, ‘Fuck, I’m not fucked, all right? There’ll be another tour!”

Springsteen’s last album of new material was 2012’s Wrecking Ball, but it only featured members of the E Street Band on select tracks. They haven’t been his primary band on an album since Working on a Dream in 2009. They’ve been off the road completely since the conclusion of The River tour in early 2017. Springsteen has said he won’t tour with the E Street Band this year. It’s unclear if he plans on touring solo to support Western Stars. 

• Options
    Thanks for sharing that, mrussel1. What do you think of the songs?
  • Options
    fgalpern said:
    Thanks for sharing that, mrussel1. What do you think of the songs?
    I like Hello Sunshine.  it's a little less country than I expected after hearing some commentary.  I'm not sure on Miracle yet.  I actually don't like the orchestra backing very much.  I am looking forward to the album.  I was thinking it would be something like Nebraska, but not quite as dark.  I don't think that will be the case though.  It seems much lighter.  But anytime Bruce is writing music, the world is a better place. 
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I was pretty shocked the other day when I didn't see the Uncle Bruce thread anywhere to be found on here. So, I welcome a new thread like this for sure. Not sure Bathgate (Our resident Bruceologist would feel the same way...lol)
    I really like the direction of the new songs. Quite a lot. There Goes My Miracle sounds like it could have been cut during the WOAD era. Kingdom of Days obviously comes to mind. The strings on that song are absolutely phenomenal. When I think of string usage with Bruce, I think of keyboard synth "string" sounds. So it was really welcome to hear a song knocked out of the park with a real string arrangement. I know he's used real arrangements before, but never as well as here. 
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I was pretty shocked the other day when I didn't see the Uncle Bruce thread anywhere to be found on here. So, I welcome a new thread like this for sure. Not sure Bathgate (Our resident Bruceologist would feel the same way...lol)
    I really like the direction of the new songs. Quite a lot. There Goes My Miracle sounds like it could have been cut during the WOAD era. Kingdom of Days obviously comes to mind. The strings on that song are absolutely phenomenal. When I think of string usage with Bruce, I think of keyboard synth "string" sounds. So it was really welcome to hear a song knocked out of the park with a real string arrangement. I know he's used real arrangements before, but never as well as here. 
    It was on page 3 or 4 
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/38388/u-n-c-l-e-b-r-u-c-e-s-p-r-i-n-g-s-t-e-e-n#latest
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    never heard of em
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I kind of look at this album the same way I look at Tunnel of Love. While they’re not on here (and were on Tunnel to an extent) I could only imagine they’d take these songs to a new level live. 
  • Options
    I kind of look at this album the same way I look at Tunnel of Love. While they’re not on here (and were on Tunnel to an extent) I could only imagine they’d take these songs to a new level live. 
    Well shit, if it's at the level of Tunnel, I will be thrilled.  
    I know you meant E street. 
  • Options
    never heard of em
    Have you destroyed your records yet?  Was it as tasty and fulfilling as you expected?  
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    https://youtu.be/QPVLaEpxSQc
    This looks really good.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Yes! I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I have a friend who does keyboard tech for a few big acts, and he was on site for some of the filming of the live portions. He's not even a Bruce fan!