Options

The US denies flu vaccines to migrant families at border

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,935
edited August 2019 in A Moving Train

At least three children who were held in detention centers after crossing into the U.S. from Mexico have died in recent months, in part, from the flu, according to a letter to Reps. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., and Lucille Roybal-Allard, D-Calif., from several doctors urging Congress to investigate health conditions at the centers.

The United States had previously gone almost a decade without any children dying while under U.S. immigration custody.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    What the fuck?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,880
    It will be a money saving thing above a life saving thing. 
    Here i believe  school kids of ethnic  groups  are vaccinated against  tuberculosis  where as native  kids are not. 
    So  i guess  we are doing the opposite.  I think the thinking is the grand parents go back on holiday  to Pakistan and other countries  that have vast amounts of diseases  that we have under control. 
    No body wants to see a sick child its horrible
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    So called Christians in power doing this to other human beings.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    It takes what 2 weeks for the flu vaccine to be effective?  Have they even decided on what flu strain is likely to hit Nort America?  I know I cannot go to my doctor here in Canada and get the flu vaccine...the doctor usually does not receive this year's vaccine until October.  

Are things different in the US?  Do they know the strain?  Do they have the vaccine ready in the US?  Or do they have a limited stockpile at this point and are saving the vaccine for a possible health emergency?   How many people detained at the border?  Do people want them all vaccinated?

Once the person got the flu the vaccine would be too late?  

This seems more of a non-story.  Currently, in North America, no one is offering the flu vaccine because IT IS NOT flu season.

I never get the flu vaccine.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    It takes what 2 weeks for the flu vaccine to be effective?  Have they even decided on what flu strain is likely to hit Nort America?  I know I cannot go to my doctor here in Canada and get the flu vaccine...the doctor usually does not receive this year's vaccine until October.  

Are things different in the US?  Do they know the strain?  Do they have the vaccine ready in the US?  Or do they have a limited stockpile at this point and are saving the vaccine for a possible health emergency?   How many people detained at the border?  Do people want them all vaccinated?

Once the person got the flu the vaccine would be too late?  

This seems more of a non-story.  Currently, in North America, no one is offering the flu vaccine because IT IS NOT flu season.

I never get the flu vaccine.  

It's not about not getting vaccinated now, it's about the plan not to vaccinate when the vaccine becomes available.

Deliberately not providing an inexpensive health care intervention that would significantly improve morbidity and mortality in this group of people at high risk for such infectious illnesses because of the conditions of custody. Three children died of influenza in custody over the last year, and likely many others became ill when it could have been avoided.

They are only supposed to be incarcerated for three days maximum, but we all know that this target isn't met, so yes, giving the vaccine is of value.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I never get the flu vaccine and I never get the flu. I wonder how many vaccines the holy people of Sweden get since according to some on this board they all walk on water. 

9.9 million people in Sweden. Almost 3.5 times that just in California.  A little easier to take care of a few then to take care of many. But keep bashing America because we all agree on some orange asshole’s completely ass backwards policies. Oh wait, the majority of us don’t. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    edited August 2019
    the several years there have been a shortage or delay in the manufacturing of the vaccine. given this admins cuts to certain government functions like CDC,  NIH, etc . I wouldnt think it will be any easier coming up with the right strain.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I’m a dumb American. What does sfmins mean?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    corrected. admins. fat fingers on a virtual keyboard
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    corrected. admins. fat fingers on a virtual keyboard
    Lol. I know your pain. That and Apple spellcheck. Thanks. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,935
    edited August 2019
    I never get the flu vaccine and I never get the flu. I wonder how many vaccines the holy people of Sweden get since according to some on this board they all walk on water. 

9.9 million people in Sweden. Almost 3.5 times that just in California.  A little easier to take care of a few then to take care of many. But keep bashing America because we all agree on some orange asshole’s completely ass backwards policies. Oh wait, the majority of us don’t. 
    Who was talking about Sweden in here..?

No need being this insecure about living in a middle-of-the-pack country not keeping up with the rest of the developed world in the name of greed.

It's okey. Just catch up.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I misread read parts of the article.  They are not vaccinating them for this upcoming flu season...

Are Flu shots free in the US?  They are here in Ontario (I never get the flu shot myself).  It is supposed to be a bad flu year they are predicting.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    edited August 2019
    I misread read parts of the article.  They are not vaccinating them for this upcoming flu season...

Are Flu shots free in the US?  They are here in Ontario (I never get the flu shot myself).  It is supposed to be a bad flu year they are predicting.
    They are not free where I live.  They may be elsewhere.  I got the flu shot when I worked for our Health Library from 1999 to 2001 because it was required.  Then I didn't for several years.  Now my GP doc who is a pretty cool guy says people in my age groups should get it so I have the last few years. 

I think if they are going to corral and cage people like animals they should at least make the vaccine available if folks want it.  But no doubt, the well being of those people is far from the minds of most of those who detain them.  What a sad state of affairs.  Tough world out there for so, so many.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited August 2019

No need being this insecure about living in a middle-of-the-pack country not keeping up with the rest of the developed world in the name of greed.

Everything you do here bashes America. It’s ignorant and stupid to blanket a country based on the horrible President in office. Someone that lost the majority vote in the election. Sweden may be beautiful but I’m sure there is a lot of bad things there too. They are just not on the scale because you have such a smaller population. Is America perfect? Hell no. But for us born here, we make the best with what’s given. Your hatred of all things America and your constant need to point out the wrongs is pathetic and stupid. Have you ever been here? Probably not. Hard to get away from your computer screen and Nightmare on Elm Street movies it seems. There is a lot of beauty in America, but your love of pointing out the wrong gets tiresome. Sweden rules. America drools. We have read it from you a million times. Find a new routine son. This one is tiresome and not funny. And go outside once in a while. See the world with your eyes, not a computer screen. 

By the way. It’s spelled okay not okey. Just catch up. 

Cue horrible meme response now. 
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
  • Options

Everything you do here bashes America. It’s ignorant and stupid to blanket a country based on the horrible President in office. Someone that lost the majority vote in the election. 

Is it ignorant and/or stupid to come off as knowing about my "bashing of America" but at the same time claim it is because of Donald J Trump?

And give me a break about him loosing the majority. Roughly 50% chose him. Matters none that Hillary got a mere 3 million more votes out of 140 million. A fabricated silver-lining.
  • Options
    A third of your countries population voted for Hillary over Chump. 

Just admit it. America touched you in the no no place when you were younger. Just talk about it. Talking helps. 
  • Options
    A third of your countries population voted for Hillary over Chump. 
    And 6.3 times "my countries population" voted for Trump. 63 million people. What is your point?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Did they or was it tampering? Sadly, It’s hard to find 63 million people to vote period in the US.

The point is it’s easier to run a household than a neighborhood. It’s easier to run a neighborhood than a city. It’s easier to run a city than a state. So on and so on. Your country barely has the population of greater Los Angeles yet you wanna talk shit. How many people are trying to migrate to Sweden for a better life. The answer is not many. And if most Swedish people are ignorant and arrogant and just Trolls who love nothing more than shitting out crap they read on the internet then fuck Sweden. But I’m sure they are not and that’s why your inside on a dumb forum all day and night spouting ignorance and horrible memes. Do everyone here a favor. Get off the computer and go get laid, smoke a bowl, have a beer. Whatever it takes to get out your unfounded aggression.  Do what you want. Arguing with ignorance is just making me sad so I will no longer indulge you or your bias views. 
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
  • Options
    brianlux said:

They are not free where I live.  They may be elsewhere.  I got the flu shot when I worked for our Health Library from 1999 to 2001 because it was required.  Then I didn't for several years.  Now my GP doc who is a pretty cool guy says people in my age groups should get it so I have the last few years. 

I think if they are going to corral and cage people like animals they should at least make the vaccine available if folks want it.  But no doubt, the well being of those people is far from the minds of most of those who detain them.  What a sad state of affairs.  Tough world out there for so, so many.
    I am surprised that the border patrol has not raised the issue as workplace health and safety issue.  Imagine if the flu hits one of those facilities...what a mess that will be.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    My experience flu shots are covered (free) with most insurances. And if you don’t have insurance, it’s only about $10 and 5 minutes to get one. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    brianlux said:

I am surprised that the border patrol has not raised the issue as workplace health and safety issue.  Imagine if the flu hits one of those facilities...what a mess that will be.  
    Honestly not any worse than any of the thousands of jails we have. I don’t think those inmates get flu shots.