The Amazon Rain Forest is on fire... and no one is talking about it.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited August 2019
    Old photo edited out.  No more fake photos world, please!

But the problem is real.

"Terrifying to think that the Amazon is the largest rain forest on the planet, creating 20% of the earth’s oxygen, basically the lungs of the world, has been on fire and burning for the last 16 days running, with literally NO media coverage whatsoever! Why?"
    -Leonardo DiCaprio

Post edited by brianlux on

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    The world right now is in a sad state of affairs. How anyone can still deny climate change and not be ousted out of office is beyond me. Big money is the obvious reason for their denial but how the masses are letting it happen is beyond me. And to think. This is just the beginning. Glad I’m half way through life but I really feel for my daughter and all the kids who are going to have to deal with this madness. Hopefully they get off their computer games and other forms of distraction and start making stands and legislation that matters. I’m talking world wide because we and they are all in this apocalypse that is just starting. Thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully it opens People’s eyes and kicks some asses into movement. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    The world right now is in a sad state of affairs. How anyone can still deny climate change and not be ousted out of office is beyond me. Big money is the obvious reason for their denial but how the masses are letting it happen is beyond me. And to think. This is just the beginning. Glad I’m half way through life but I really feel for my daughter and all the kids who are going to have to deal with this madness. Hopefully they get off their computer games and other forms of distraction and start making stands and legislation that matters. I’m talking world wide because we and they are all in this apocalypse that is just starting. Thanks for starting this thread. Hopefully it opens People’s eyes and kicks some asses into movement. 
    Thanks for your wisdom regarding the situation, pj78.  It is truly a world-wide problem of huge proportions.

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I've been horrified at the stories I've seen. It has actually been covered, but certainly not to the degree that it deserves to be. Here's the latest from CNN:

Blame humans for starting the Amazon fires, environmentalists say

It sounds like the farmers and cattle ranchers are to blame. Brazil's Environmental Minister tried to blame the dry weather but CNN's meteorologist is pretty sure that 99% of it is human actions. It should also be highlighted that 20% of the Earth's oxygen is produced by the Amazon rain forest, so this should be a big deal for everyone. It is tragic.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited August 2019

Dumb question, but are the rainforests technically more important in absorbing carbon dioxide versus producing oxygen?  I thought I had read that the oxygen produced in the Amazon doesn't really impact the rest of the world that much.   

Anyway, I was watching a documentary on climate change, or reading an article and came across an interesting point.  Basically, the people in power to make changes are going to be the last to recognize that climate change is a problem.  They will be the last ones to feel the effects of climate change.  The price of food goes up.  They'll be able to afford it.  THe waters rise.  They can afford to move.   It gets hotter.  They can afford the air conditioning.   Their world (our world) hasn't been impacted too much. Meanwhile, people in other parts of the world that are more 2nd/3rd world are experiencing drought and famine due to climate change and can't do anything about it.  They can't just dip into the piggy bank.   

It is almost like the "they came for" saying where the wealthy/powerful will have no one left to help them when climate change hits them.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Good point on the carbon dioxide. I think both the carbon cleansing and oxygen production are important. It sounds like the rain forest produces 20% of the earth's oxygen, but also absorbs 25% of the planet's carbon. Pretty damned important to the health of the planet.
    Here's another interesting article from HuffPost today:

What You Should Know About The Fires Raging In The Amazon

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Thanks for bringing this up brianlux.

I was made aware of the fires 2 days by a friend on FB. Then I googled Amazon fire and got 2 pages of Amazon Fire Stick before I found an article about the rainforest burning! Chris Cuomo did mention it last night on CNN.

I also just learned there are raging forest fires in Siberia that have already consumed 30 MILLION acres. And that too is not news?! 

Dumb question, but are the rainforests technically more important in absorbing carbon dioxide versus producing oxygen?  I thought I had read that the oxygen produced in the Amazon doesn't really impact the rest of the world that much.   

Anyway, I was watching a documentary on climate change, or reading an article and came across an interesting point.  Basically, the people in power to make changes are going to be the last to recognize that climate change is a problem.  They will be the last ones to feel the effects of climate change.  The price of food goes up.  They'll be able to afford it.  THe waters rise.  They can afford to move.   It gets hotter.  They can afford the air conditioning.   Their world (our world) hasn't been impacted too much. Meanwhile, people in other parts of the world that are more 2nd/3rd world are experiencing drought and famine due to climate change and can't do anything about it.  They can't just dip into the piggy bank.   

It is almost like the "they came for" saying where the wealthy/powerful will have no one left to help them when climate change hits them.

jeffbr said:
    Good point on the carbon dioxide. I think both the carbon cleansing and oxygen production are important. It sounds like the rain forest produces 20% of the earth's oxygen, but also absorbs 25% of the planet's carbon. Pretty damned important to the health of the planet.
    Here's another interesting article from HuffPost today:

What You Should Know About The Fires Raging In The Amazon

Good question bootlegger, thanks.  And great point about those in power being able to avoid the worse consequences (For a time.  Sooner or later Mother Nature bats last).

And thanks for the good answer Jeff.  I hadn't thought of it, but it makes sense that both are important. 

• rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    It has actually consumed my facebook thread and has been covered by the news here in Australia quite a bit the last 2 days. If only it was covered more extensively and the millionaires and billionaires started chipping in like did for the Notre dame cathedral. 
    It has actually consumed my facebook thread and has been covered by the news here in Australia quite a bit the last 2 days. If only it was covered more extensively and the millionaires and billionaires started chipping in like did for the Notre dame cathedral. 
    The story itself is catching fire.  Bad pun but true.

Here is yesterday's fire map.  Not sure how much it's grown but, oh man...

That’s unreal. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Sad and alarming to say the least. 
    One thing that is very problematic about this issue is that some of the photos circulating on social media are not from the current fires. That this is happening is absolutely lame because the fact remains: fires in the Amazon are up 80% this year and people are the cause of most of the fires, and it's a serious situation. So why the fake photos? Do we really need to sensationalize something that is already seriously problematic? And don't these fake photos get people interested and then later, when they are shown to be old photos, turn people off and get them to think it's all a hoax? Why falsify a real problem? It's like saying, "The house is on fire!" and then giving the wrong address, even when, in fact, a house is on fire. Why do people do this?

What a weird world this is.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    It's alarming.  There is nothing that can be done. Brazil is a sovereign country whose president does not believe in global warming and has encouraged the clear-cutting of the rain forest.  The sad part is that South America much like NA are not being run by the rightful occupants, but more importantly, the rightful occupants are just 2nd class citizens on their lands while this asshole stands idly by...The US is not the only country with a very fucked leader.

The G& is being held ... the G& needs to call the dickhead to a meeting to account.  If he cannot justify Brazil's action, then vote to kick Brazil from the G7 and suspend all trade deals with BBrazil and slap 100% tariffs on any the is produced that is leading to the destruction of the rain forest.

The world knows what needs to be done.  Instead of real action they will hold another climate conference or 3 and fly there on their luxury planes and pat themselves on the back about what a great conference and look...new target that the world will never meet...Humans are a fucking joke.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I've been reading about it, and it's been reported that the fires are being set deliberately by the regime in power to make more room for raising cattle. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I've been reading about it, and it's been reported that the fires are being set deliberately by the regime in power to make more room for raising cattle. 
    I've read that also.  I'm also under the impression that a lot of beef used by places like McDonalds comes from South America. 

brianlux said:
    I've read that also.  I'm also under the impression that a lot of beef used by places like McDonalds comes from South America. 
    that too. so there won't be any big corporate pressure from the US to get this under control. unless there is some backlash or #boycottmcdonaldsbeef starts trending on twitter. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

However bad that it is.  Do many countries have the right to complain...pretty sure before the arrival of the Europeans to Canada and States has lead to massive deforestation in both countries...all this farmland was created by the European invaders...it's not like we have a great environmental record.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    so let's ignore it because of what was done in the past. excellent idea. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Exactly, HFD.  Like my Pop used to say, "Two rights don't make a wrong." 

I'm also told three lefts make a right.

Who said ignore it?  Talk about reading to much into a statement.  Not surprised.

Canada has no right to put their nose in other countries business until we right our ship...remember Mr. enviro PM...the man who is spending 15 billion on a pipeline to export oil that only a few countries will buy, and one of them being China...and they are a Chinese hissy fit away from them not buying the oil...

You think this guy from Brazil does not know the environmental record of the US and Canada...

So why would Brazil listen to us?  

Maybe it's time for a country that has a good environmental record to lead the way...because Canada and the US will never be leaders on this issue...NEVER.

Give Peas A Chance…
    so positive and full of solutions. 

not surprised.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

my ignore list is getting longer every week. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Who said ignore it?  Talk about reading to much into a statement.  Not surprised.

Canada has no right to put their nose in other countries business until we right our ship...remember Mr. enviro PM...the man who is spending 15 billion on a pipeline to export oil that only a few countries will buy, and one of them being China...and they are a Chinese hissy fit away from them not buying the oil...

You think this guy from Brazil does not know the environmental record of the US and Canada...

So why would Brazil listen to us?  

Maybe it's time for a country that has a good environmental record to lead the way...because Canada and the US will never be leaders on this issue...NEVER.

I think everybody has a right to put their nose into a situation that has global effects.  If your neighbors were burning massive piles of auto tires making your air unbreathable, would you not have a right to say or do something?

It is completely true that these countries (the US and Canada) don’t have good track records when it comes to the environment. The US is going backwards in this regard too because of the current administration. That being said, just because you have made mistakes in the past doesn’t mean you can’t learn from them and correct it in the future. Or in this case the immediate present. The looney bin in Brazil is causing a global catastrophe and if the rest of the developed world doesn’t step in and right this wrong then we are all fucked. 

Roughly 20% of the oxygen and 25% of the carbon is produced and captured by the Amazon. This is a huge number and with climate change starting to kick into high gear. This destruction of the rainforest will have a humongous snowball effect on current. And future climate change. This is sadly just one aspect of these fires. 

Lets not forget the plant and animal life and tribal communities that are displaced or outright extinguished by this. This is bigger than any country or any tweet or agenda by any president. This is a world problem that our “elected” officials need to quit being polite and send the resources and means necessary to extinguish these fires. And if needed (which I believe it is) oust the Brazilian president and hold him and those responsible for crimes against humanity. We can not be silent or indifferent anymore. This is a world problem that requires a world solution. 
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I have no idea how big of a problem this is or will be, but at what point would people be willing to send in troops? This is actually a scenario where if Brazil’s government doesn’t get their shit together then drastic measures seem necessary. Sorry to get all doomsdayish , but we can’t just let the rainforest burn down. IDK. I wonder how bad this will get, kind of reminds me of when that pipeline burst in the Gulf and everybody is just watching it happen , but can’t do anything about it.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited August 2019
    It is a tough call for sure.    99% of species have gone extinct on this planet and it will be humanity's turn at some point because unless some of the things that cause climate charge are made illegal nothing will happen.   I think anything we do is a part of nature.  Just like the Asian carp is an invasive species in the Great Lakes, they are just doing what is in their nature.  Humans being stupid are no different.  An invasive species. 
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    Hi! said:
    I have no idea how big of a problem this is or will be, but at what point would people be willing to send in troops? This is actually a scenario where if Brazil’s government doesn’t get their shit together then drastic measures seem necessary. Sorry to get all doomsdayish , but we can’t just let the rainforest burn down. IDK. I wonder how bad this will get, kind of reminds me of when that pipeline burst in the Gulf and everybody is just watching it happen , but can’t do anything about it.
    What do do is a tough question, Hi.  I'd say to start with, at the very least, we could all refuse to eat beef imported from South America.