Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (9th film by Tarantino)

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    dankind said:
    Best director of our generation!  I'll be there on opening night.

He's pretty damn good.
    I have only mildly appreciated exactly one Fincher film, Zodiac. To be fair, I have not seen a lot of his films because the ones I have seen sucked so hard. I do remember seeing The Game in the theater and being overly impressed with the sound, though. So if Fincher had a hand in that at all, well done. The movie still sucked.

He and Christopher Nolan have got to be the most overrated auteurs of their generation. 
    Wow, while I like Zodiac, that is one of his least outstanding movies for me. Gone Girl, The Social Network, Seven, and Fight Club are all better (not to mention the shows he's been the executive producer for, like Mindhunter and House of Cards, and he's doing World War Z 2, which I'm stoked about). I think I even like Banjamin Button more than I do Zodiac, even though it's still good - doesn't hurt that I am in love with Jake Gyllenhaal, lol.
    But in any case... I personally feel like Tarantino beats him as a director hands down. Kill Bill 1 and 2, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, and Django Unchained are all better than anything Fincher ever made IMHO .... Both make truly great movies though.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I'm looking forward to seeing this film, more than I was looking forward to The Hateful 8. I suppose this is a period of history that I would have much more of an interest in.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    One of my greatest movie experiences was getting so see Roger Ebert in 1995. He used the then new DVD system and did a scene by scene, almost frame by frame, breakdown of Pulp Fiction.
    Gave me a much better appreciation of Tarantino and his work up till that point and even almost 25 years later.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

He's pretty damn good.
    I have only mildly appreciated exactly one Fincher film, Zodiac. To be fair, I have not seen a lot of his films because the ones I have seen sucked so hard. I do remember seeing The Game in the theater and being overly impressed with the sound, though. So if Fincher had a hand in that at all, well done. The movie still sucked.

He and Christopher Nolan have got to be the most overrated auteurs of their generation. 
    Wow, while I like Zodiac, that is one of his least outstanding movies for me. Gone Girl, The Social Network, Seven, and Fight Club are all better (not to mention the shows he's been the executive producer for, like Mindhunter and House of Cards, and he's doing World War Z 2, which I'm stoked about). I think I even like Banjamin Button more than I do Zodiac, even though it's still good - doesn't hurt that I am in love with Jake Gyllenhaal, lol.
    But in any case... I personally feel like Tarantino beats him as a director hands down. Kill Bill 1 and 2, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, and Django Unchained are all better than anything Fincher ever made IMHO .... Both make truly great movies though.
    Se7en and Fight Club are filmed gimmicks made for the MTV generation.

Other than Zodiac, I have not seen any of his more recent work. No desire to do so.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited March 2019
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

He's pretty damn good.

Other than Zodiac, I have not seen any of his more recent work. No desire to do so.
    Lol, well, I go the full non-snob route on those two movies (and never had MTV). ;) They are just really entertaining movies for me.
    Gone Girl was super duper good - you should check it out. I think it's his best movie by far. WAY better than Zodiac IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

He's pretty damn good.

Lol, well, I go the full non-snob route on those two movies (and never had MTV). ;) They are just really entertaining movies for me.
    Gone Girl was super duper good - you should check it out. I think it's his best movie by far. WAY better than Zodiac IMO.
    Wasn't that book pretty much a gimmick, though? I guess they picked the right director to helm it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Gone Girl was awful, although I do like a number of Fincher's movies/shows.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I still get excited for anything QT does, even though its been about 20 years since the last great film. He's had a couple good ones, but not great (sounds pretty familiar, doesn't it?)
    I mean, Hateful 8 had some moments, but I will never spend time watching it again. I loved the Kill Bills when they came out, but they don't do anything for me anymore. Django was good, but not great. I'm ready for another Pulp Fiction. 
    edited March 2019
    Why'd you dislike it so much?? I LOVED it!
    edited March 2019
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

He's pretty damn good.

Wasn't that book pretty much a gimmick, though? I guess they picked the right director to helm it.
    What book? Fight Club? I never read it... but how is a novel a gimmick? It wasn't used to promote anything as far as I know, and I don't think it was intended not to be taken seriously as a book, and same with the films. Are you just trying to say that you don't like the style of the book or those movies?
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

He's pretty damn good.

What book? Fight Club? I never read it... but how is a novel a gimmick? It wasn't used to promote anything as far as I know, and I don't think it was intended not to be taken seriously as a book, and same with the films. Are you just trying to say that you don't like the style of the book or those movies?
    Gone Girl
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited March 2019
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

He's pretty damn good.

Gone Girl
    Oh, okay... how was Gone Girl a gimmick? For what? I've not read that either, but I've had people I respect recommend it. All I know is that I thought the movie was fantastic, and others I watched it with (4 times!) did too.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

He's pretty damn good.

Gone Girl
    Oh, okay... how was Gone Girl a gimmick? For what? I've not read that either, but I've had people I respect recommend it. All I know is that I thought the movie was fantastic, and others I watched it with (4 times!) did too.
    I haven't read it either, but I've had it described to me as a made-you-look thriller. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

He's pretty damn good.

Gone Girl
    I haven't read it either, but I've had it described to me as a made-you-look thriller. 
    Hmm. Not quite sure what that means... Is that a bad thing? :lol:;)
    Depends on the reader/audience. Obviously, I don’t care for that kind of juvenile narrative. I don’t even like The Wizard of Oz
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

He's pretty damn good.

Gone Girl
    Hmm. Not quite sure what that means... Is that a bad thing? :lol:;)
    I thought what I tend to think about "mystery" books or movies where they lie to you all along and then say 'what a great twist' when they walk those lies back.  Lazy.  Not really fun, for me.

As far as what I didnt like about the movie, PJS, it was just something I felt was not great -- and it suffered from so many telling me how great it was, I guess.  Sometimes when the author writes the screenplay it is great -- and sometimes (like this time) I do not think it is.  Think the dialogue was silly.  I remember yelling at the screen about 5x.
    Not a huge Batman - Holden - Shannon - Chuckie fan.  My wife loves him.  (Probably loved him more after his Dirk Diggler scene in Gone Girl!) 
    Best part about this movie...and a few other of Fincher's, was the awesome score by Reznor/Ross.  I fucking love their work.
    Didn't like the book, didn't like the movie.  Wet fart.

Also...when I read the book I was rooting for her to be buried somewhere.  So annoying!
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Fincher, Tarantino and Nolan will always get my attention at this point. They've established their awesomeness. Not every movie they've made has been great, but they've made a lot of great movies I can watch on repeat and they at least deliver entertainment wise.

Seven, Pulp, Batman and Interstellar are movies I will never get tired of watching. Pluuuuus, Fincher knows how to incorporate a great music score along with gorgeous cinematography.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited March 2019
    Truth (maybe "awful" is a bit strong).

People have a lot of wrong takes about Fincher in here. Disgusting to see. I CANT STAND FOR IT
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

He's pretty damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raWZraPHLqM

dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

He's pretty damn good.

Zodiac was his (as of 2019) his filmmaking peak. It's superb.

But I would argue all his movies are worth watching atleast once, or twice with a commentary track.

With Aaron Sorkin and Sony wanting to make a follow up to Social Network, I would love to see a follow up to it - with Fincher directing. And I'm not a super fan of the film.

Alien 3 is way underrated by the way. Just throwing it out there.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    Has anyone mentioned the significance of the song Straight Shooter by The Mamas & The Papas - used in the trailer?  Apparently when police went over the house after Sharon Tate's murder, they found the sheet music for that song at the piano!  Now that is attention to detail!

I can't wait for this film - I'm pretty much obsessed with the music of that period, and the culture of the time - plus the Manson family, since I'm a big NIN fan, and Reznor recorded records in the murder house.  
    Has anyone mentioned the significance of the song Straight Shooter by The Mamas & The Papas - used in the trailer?  Apparently when police went over the house after Sharon Tate's murder, they found the sheet music for that song at the piano!  Now that is attention to detail!
    This made my stomach turn. Fuck.

On a more positive note, Ace Frehley had a song called Shakin' Sharp Shooter - that with rewritten lyrics became Into the Void. 

I knew Reznor bought the door from the Tate house, but not that he recorded there. I would believe he thinks it's a bit cringey on the verge of being Marilyn Manson regarding all of that nowadays.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

On a more positive note, Ace Frehley had a song called Shakin' Sharp Shooter - that with rewritten lyrics became Into the Void. 

I knew Reznor bought the door from the Tate house, but not that he recorded there. I would believe he thinks it's a bit cringey on the verge of being Marilyn Manson regarding all of that nowadays.
    Oh, the irony.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpw1SwJRBI

(FYI, Manson is a lot more intelligent and introspective than most people think.)
    edited March 2019
    I love Marilyn Manson.... Of course, the only time I ever saw him live was at the QE, so the show was completely ruined.
    hedonist said:

Oh, the irony.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpw1SwJRBI

(FYI, Manson is a lot more intelligent and introspective than most people think.)
    ....where's this irony you speak of?
  • Opening up here in Sweden today. Will check it out tonight or tomorrow.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Was super stoked for this movie. The casting was amazing and as per usual the music fit perfectly. However, am I the only one that thought this movie could have been an hour shorter???
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    yeah, nope. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Gone Girl was a fabulous film. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD