Options

Who's your favorite baseball player currently? Who's your favorite baseball player of all-time?

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Most disliked player:
    Growing up - David Justice, no real reason. In my 12 year old mind, David Justice was the enemy.
    Recent - Christian Yelich.  I reeeeally want to like him but ain't gonna happen so long as he's a :sick: Brewer.
    All-time - Ryan Braun.  Fuck Ryan Braun.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Disliked.  

Albert Belle.  Im an Indians fan and hated him.  Kind of ruined a 'golden era' for my team
  • Options

I cant say as I hated any player as a kid. Mike Schmidt used to DESTROY the Cubs, but I thought it was fun as well to watch him do it.

But as an adult? The ONE GUY during the steroid era, who I wish would have taken a line drive to the nutsack? Barry Bonds.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    MayDay10 said:
    Disliked.  

Albert Belle.  Im an Indians fan and hated him.  Kind of ruined a 'golden era' for my team
    DON'T FUCKING CALL ME JOEY! 
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    MayDay10 said:
    Disliked.  

Those Indian teams post-Strike in the mid-90's were incredible.  I'm still mind-blown they didn't come away with at least one championship.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Disliked.  

Those Indian teams post-Strike in the mid-90's were incredible.  I'm still mind-blown they didn't come away with at least one championship.
    Um, it's Cleveland.  Of course we blew it.  It took a super human MVP performance by LBJ to bring home the NBA title.  He's literally the only one capable of overcoming the ghosts.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Disliked.  

Um, it's Cleveland.  Of course we blew it.  It took a super human MVP performance by LBJ to bring home the NBA title.  He's literally the only one capable of overcoming the ghosts.  
    And a Draymond Green suspension.  That Warriors team was still much better than that Cavs team.  Golden State should have won four years in a row.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Since I mentioned my favorite non-Cubs in the favorites post, I have to name some disliked Cubs to be fair.
    Growing up it was Palmeiro for banging Sandberg's wife.  I eventually grew to like him again as an Oriole.
    Currently it's Addison Russell.  Need I explain?
    All-time, I'm gonna go with a manager here in Dale Sveum for making me endure only the 3rd 100-loss season in the history of the franchise (and only one of my lifetime).  That's right - for all the decades of Cubs suckery, they lost 100 games only twice before - both times in the 60's before I was born. This was a toss-up with another manager, Dusty Baker.  I generally loathe the guy just because of the constant seed spitting or whatever it is he's doing with his mouth all game. Oh, and there was something to do with Kerry Wood and Mark Prior, too.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Disliked.  

And a Draymond Green suspension.  That Warriors team was still much better than that Cavs team.  Golden State should have won four years in a row.
    He wasn't suspended game 7.  LBJ led both teams in points, rebounds, assists and blocks.  Never been done before.  I doubt it will ever happen again.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Disliked.  

He wasn't suspended game 7.  LBJ led both teams in points, rebounds, assists and blocks.  Never been done before.  I doubt it will ever happen again.  
    There's a good chance you don't get a Game 7 if not for his suspension.  Hopefully, I'm not coming off as downplaying LBJ's performance.  It was one of the greatest individual performances I've seen in any sport.  That Cavs still was not as good as that Warriors team.  I think GS would have still beaten Cleveland in the next two finals without Kevin Durant.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Disliked.  

There's a good chance you don't get a Game 7 if not for his suspension.  Hopefully, I'm not coming off as downplaying LBJ's performance.  It was one of the greatest individual performances I've seen in any sport.  That Cavs still was not as good as that Warriors team.  I think GS would have still beaten Cleveland in the next two finals without Kevin Durant.
    We can only go by what actually happened.  Remember the first finals the Cavs played without Kyrie and Love.  And then the two after 16 were with Durant.  So while you may be right, there's actually no evidence that you are.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Disliked.  

We can only go by what actually happened.  Remember the first finals the Cavs played without Kyrie and Love.  And then the two after 16 were with Durant.  So while you may be right, there's actually no evidence that you are.  
    I know I'm speaking hypothetically here.  Just from my personal eye test, there wasn't a better team in the NBA from 2014-2019 than Golden State, with or without Durant. 
  • Options
    I dont have a dog in the fight.... but i just checked and Cleveland was awarded the NBA title that season
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Yes, Cleveland won that year.  The only year out of 4 Finals series they played against Golden State.  It took a Draymond Green suspension and a legendary performance by an all-time great to get their 1.  It is my opinion, and my opinion alone, that a full-strength Golden State team, without Kevin Durant and LBJ not going nuclear would have the Warriors winning at least 4 championships in a row.  It is a fact that Golden State won 3 of out 5 years.  However, I think some things had to go right for the other 2 teams (Cleveland and Toronto) to knock them off in the other 2.  The only way the Dubs got bested was because of circumstance.  Yes, this is all a part of sports.  Just like Jose Mesa blowing a save against the Marlins, when the Indians had that World Series nailed down and Cleveland in my eyes was the better team.  All I am saying is that you don't always have to be the better team, to win a game or a series.  I apologize for diverting so far away from the topic of baseball.

Post edited by Glorified KC on
  • Options
    you employ an edgy/chippy guy who tows the line like Green, he is bound to get suspended.  Part of the team and part of the game.  Not circumstance. Its like having an undisciplined player in hockey who takes a bad penalty causing his team to lose.  These aren't some external phenomena.  

This is kind of a pet-peeve of mine, coming from the standpoint of a Buffalo sports fan and constantly hearing people go on about stuff like this (because thats all we have). 
    The 1990 Bills were better than the Giants.  They lost.  Parcells/Belichick put in some sketchy no-huddle delaying tactics and the kicker missed a last second field goal... but the fact is, the Giants are champions.  
    The "no goal" thing in the stanley cup finals.  People here still bitch about it as if it is somehow still in question.  I bring up hockey reference and show them.  Sure enough, in 3rd OT it reads: 
    14:51DALBrett Hull (8) Jere Lehtinen and Mike Modano
    So I guess it was a goal, and if there is an NHL 100 years from now, Dallas will still be known as the SC Champs.
    Carolina won the cup in 2006 because the Sabres had 5 starting defensemen injured for game 7.
    People like to bitch about the Patriots and Brady cheating.... well, OK then.  Let's hope the Bills get better at cheating then because it sure looks like a lot of fun.

Basically the result is all that counts, of course.  But the 'should have' won argument is kind of lame.  I also dont think it is fair to assume Lebron and the Cavs wouldnt have found a way to beat Green, Carolina doesnt win game 7 anyways (or Edmonton beats Buffalo in the SCF), the Stars dont win later in the 3rd OT (Buffalo was running on fumes) nor takes game 7 at home.

• Options
    Back on topic though. I know its a childhood thing as well, but I really liked the Icon players from the 80s and early 90s

George Brett
    Robin Yount
    Cal Ripkin
    Ryne Sandberg
    Tony Gwynn
    Ozzie Smith
    Rickey Henderson
    Wade Boggs
    Mike Schmidt
    Kirby Puckett
    and so on.

Outside of Henderson and kind of Boggs.  I think a lot has to do with going mostly coast to coast with 1 franchise.  Nowadays that is the exception.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    you employ an edgy/chippy guy who tows the line like Green, he is bound to get suspended.  Part of the team and part of the game.  Not circumstance. Its like having an undisciplined player in hockey who takes a bad penalty causing his team to lose.  These aren't some external phenomena.  

This is kind of a pet-peeve of mine, coming from the standpoint of a Buffalo sports fan and constantly hearing people go on about stuff like this (because thats all we have). 
    The 1990 Bills were better than the Giants.  They lost.  Parcells/Belichick put in some sketchy no-huddle delaying tactics and the kicker missed a last second field goal... but the fact is, the Giants are champions.  
    The "no goal" thing in the stanley cup finals.  People here still bitch about it as if it is somehow still in question.  I bring up hockey reference and show them.  Sure enough, in 3rd OT it reads: 
    14:51DALBrett Hull (8) Jere Lehtinen and Mike Modano
    So I guess it was a goal, and if there is an NHL 100 years from now, Dallas will still be known as the SC Champs.
    Carolina won the cup in 2006 because the Sabres had 5 starting defensemen injured for game 7.
    People like to bitch about the Patriots and Brady cheating.... well, OK then.  Let's hope the Bills get better at cheating then because it sure looks like a lot of fun.

Basically the result is all that counts, of course.  But the 'should have' won argument is kind of lame.  I also dont think it is fair to assume Lebron and the Cavs wouldnt have found a way to beat Green, Carolina doesnt win game 7 anyways (or Edmonton beats Buffalo in the SCF), the Stars dont win later in the 3rd OT (Buffalo was running on fumes) nor takes game 7 at home.

I'm not arguing "should have" won, I'm saying on paper and with my eye, the 1997 Cleveland Indians and 2015-2016 Golden State Warriors were better teams, that lost.  Not "should have" won.  Just like your Bills in 1990.  The Giants did not have the better roster, but Parcells and Belichick completely outcoached Levy and then had to rely on a missed FG.  I'm not making excuses for why teams lost, I'm saying they were the more talented and skilled teams and yes circumstance, part of the team, part of the game, whatever in the hell you want to call it was and always will be a factor.  It does not take away from any team winning a championship.  My statement that the Warriors were the best team in the NBA the past 5 seasons and had the talent to win each of those years, is something I'll stand firm on.  Just like the 1997 Indians.  I guess karma's a bitch sometimes.
  • Options
    Yeah.  I dont think anyone would deny that Golden State was the best team over the past 5 years and in any individual season.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    Yes, Cleveland won that year.  The only year out of 4 Finals series they played against Golden State.  It took a Draymond Green suspension and a legendary performance by an all-time great to get their 1.  It is my opinion, and my opinion alone, that a full-strength Golden State team, without Kevin Durant and LBJ not going nuclear would have the Warriors winning at least 4 championships in a row.  It is a fact that Golden State won 3 of out 5 years.  However, I think some things had to go right for the other 2 teams (Cleveland and Toronto) to knock them off in the other 2.  The only way the Dubs got bested was because of circumstance.  Yes, this is all a part of sports.  Just like Jose Mesa blowing a save against the Marlins, when the Indians had that World Series nailed down and Cleveland in my eyes was the better team.  All I am saying is that you don't always have to be the better team, to win a game or a series.  I apologize for diverting so far away from the topic of baseball.

If i remember the GSW had a 3-1 lead in that Series Geen got suspended? If so, Green or not you can't blow a 3-1 lead. 

Like Mrussel1 said the Cavs missed K Love for the whole Series one year and Kyrie Irving only played one game and that went 6 games. I think the Cavs win that year(2016?)

Man, those are good questions. Not sure i can name just one player as my all time Fav.
  • Options
    cutz said:

If i remember the GSW had a 3-1 lead in that Series Geen got suspended? If so, Green or not you can't blow a 3-1 lead. 

Like Mrussel1 said the Cavs missed K Love for the whole Series one year and Kyrie Irving only played one game and that went 6 games. I think the Cavs win that year(2016?)

Man, those are good questions. Not sure i can name just one player as my all time Fav.
    2015 Love dislocated shoulder in the Celtics series, and then Kyrie breaks his kneecap in game 1 of the Finals, and it goes 6. 
    2016, GS goes up 3-1, Green suspended game 5 or 6, can't remember.  Cavs win in 7.  Durant joins for 17 and 18.  So, the Cavs go 6 without Love and Kyrie in 15, and in 16 win 3 games with Green on the court.  So I don't know how one can say that the Cavs don't win in 16 if Green isn't suspended.  Maybe GS doesn't win in 15 if Kyrie and Love play.  
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    cutz said:

2015 Love dislocated shoulder in the Celtics series, and then Kyrie breaks his kneecap in game 1 of the Finals, and it goes 6. 
    2016, GS goes up 3-1, Green suspended game 5 or 6, can't remember.  Cavs win in 7.  Durant joins for 17 and 18.  So, the Cavs go 6 without Love and Kyrie in 15, and in 16 win 3 games with Green on the court.  So I don't know how one can say that the Cavs don't win in 16 if Green isn't suspended.  Maybe GS doesn't win in 15 if Kyrie and Love play.  
    I’ll agree to disagree on this discussion about GS and Cleveland.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    cutz said:

Fun debating though
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    cutz said:

Fun debating though
    No doubt.  I’ve always enjoyed a debate on sports topics.  
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    Growing up: Lenny Dykstra

All-time: Chase Utley

Current: Aaron Nola

Some non-Phillies favorites include Canseco, Mattingly, Griffey, Henderson, Randy Johnson, and Smoltz

that is one fucked up list.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Pujols all time but Big Hurt is a strong second.

this is also kind of fucked up.

”and guys, she’ll like it too.”

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    all time dislike - Gary Carter
    other dislikes: Reggie Jackson, Steve Garvey, Yadier Molina, Jose Reyes
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    Wobbie said:

Some non-Phillies favorites include Canseco, Mattingly, Griffey, Henderson, Randy Johnson, and Smoltz

But you're a maniac troll, so if you think my list is fucked up, it must be totally normal. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Wobbie said:
    DewieCox said:

Pujols all time but Big Hurt is a strong second.

this is also kind of fucked up.

”and guys, she’ll like it too.”
    Totally solidifies the nickname though.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

But you're a maniac troll, so if you think my list is fucked up, it must be totally normal. 

dykstra’s my favorite player currently doing time.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    never really disliked anyone. but if i had to chose one probably JD Drew. Joe Carter next (mainly cause of the '93 world series).
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly