Options

First Time Getting Glasses

oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I've never had corrective lenses in my life.

Knew I needed glasses (had my eyes examined 2 1/2 years ago, and was told one eye could use "a little correction," but to wait, and return in six months), just didn't know how badly I needed them. I thought, perhaps just for reading.

Trifocals. F#@$%ng trifocals?!

Christ on a cracker!

The woman was kind enough to quickly tell me that while most people think trifocals are for older people, they're really for anyone who needs blah blah (she lost me at "older people").

I'm 30, by the way. I think my dad was in his early fifties before he transitioned from bifocals to trifocals.

Sheeeeeesh...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Bummer you had to start with trifocals.

I started wearing glasses when I was 12, so when I went to bifocals in my early 50s it didn't bother me all that much. My husband had better than 20/20 vision though, so he HATED it when he started wearing glasses about the same time.

Glasses are a bother but try to concentrate on how much better you can see. Works for me. :thumbup:

And no, you're not old. :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Welcome.

I mean, shit dude, what took you so long? All the cool people wear tri's!

Honestly though, I had Lasik 3 weeks ago after wearing glasses for 34 some odd years. Still weird...
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    Welcome.

I mean, shit dude, what took you so long? All the cool people wear tri's!

Honestly though, I had Lasik 3 weeks ago after wearing glasses for 34 some odd years. Still weird...

Thanks!!

What took me so long?! I tried to get glasses two years ago!! They told me, sorry, not this time, come back when your eyes are worse. :lol:
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    I just picked up my new glasses yesterday.

I asked at the consult how much they would be - got no answer. When I picked my frames asked again - got no answer. Rung 3 times - still no bloody answer!!!!

Went to pick them up $820!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly fainted! They are only reading glasses FFS!! When I asked the receptionist why on earth they were so much she said it was the special lenses I got for working on the computer. I told her that if I had known they were going to be that much then I wouldn't have got them, she felt really bad and in the end I got them for $620. Still $200 more than my last pair. I won't be going back there thats for sure!!!!!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    tinkerbell wrote:

I asked at the consult how much they would be - got no answer. When I picked my frames asked again - got no answer. Rung 3 times - still no bloody answer!!!!

Went to pick them up $820!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly fainted! They are only reading glasses FFS!! When I asked the receptionist why on earth they were so much she said it was the special lenses I got for working on the computer. I told her that if I had known they were going to be that much then I wouldn't have got them, she felt really bad and in the end I got them for $620. Still $200 more than my last pair. I won't be going back there thats for sure!!!!!

Ho-ly shit. That's a lot of money for reading glasses!!!!

I happened to luck out. There was a 50% Lenses deal going on when I went in. That right there saved me almost $250. I think I paid about $500 total (and, hopefully I'll get some of that back from AFLAC).
  • Options
    oona left wrote:
    Ho-ly shit. That's a lot of money for reading glasses!!!!

I happened to luck out. There was a 50% Lenses deal going on when I went in. That right there saved me almost $250. I think I paid about $500 total (and, hopefully I'll get some of that back from AFLAC).

Sigh I now have $5 in my savings!! Unfortunately because they are the only Optomertrist in town they can charge whatever they like - next time I will travel into the city I think. Oh well at least I can see again and they do look good.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    It's obscene how much glasses cost. :thumbdown:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    tinkerbell wrote:

:shock: Good Lord you were robbed, Tinkerbell! :shock:
    You can order them online. I haven't done that because I'm not sure how you figure out the proper fit and adjustment. That's how I get my contacts now, quite a bit cheaper.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    My wifes wears :ugeek: glasses, they make her look Hot and Intelligent, Rock 'em.
  • Options
    :shock: Good Lord you were robbed, Tinkerbell! :shock:
    You can order them online. I haven't done that because I'm not sure how you figure out the proper fit and adjustment. That's how I get my contacts now, quite a bit cheaper.

Unfortunately I have a lazy eye so it is hard to get the right lenses without going to a doc. These glasses need to last a few years!!!
  • Options
    BM158006BM158006 Posts: 1
    edited August 2019
    Hey!  As the Jamily ages, we will all need some reading glasses.  Why aren't there any for sale in the store?  My wife would love some reading glasses with Pearl Jam on the sides.  Have I just missed them somehow?