framed poster thread

Comments

• crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Wow. That is awesome
  • thanks...the ap landed yesterday and i took it straight to my framer. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632

Wow!  Copying that
  • larsen juhl frame, museum glass, etc. ran me $400. 
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    Home run on that Düsseldorf!
  • SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,073
    thanks...the ap landed yesterday and i took it straight to my framer. 
    Next-day service - must not be Michaels
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Not a fan of that print but that frame couldn’t have been a better choice for
    it.  Nice work!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • definitely not michaels haha. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Don't worry about the questions.  Happy to help. These were recommended by people here and they work.  You might be tempted to cut them but I think they move around if you do,  especially if your edges are precise.  Other times you have play.

https://www.amazon.com/Lineco-See-Thru-Polyester-Mounting-L533-4015M/dp/B00G0TPJEW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=lineco+mounting+strips&qid=1564764121&s=gateway&sr=8-2

You'll also need double sided framing tape if you plan to double mat. Quarter inch wide is good.  You want thin tape,  not heavy duty.  It will be at Michael's or hobby.

It looks like the mounting strips require a mounting surface larger than the print. Do you have any thoughts on a product to mount a print to a board of the same size with no mat? Maybe an acid-free double-sided tape that (supposedly) won't damage the print?
  • CrewCrew Posts: 299
    edited August 2019
    Been looking around thrift shops for a decent frame that might fit this weird-shaped print.. and finally found one!!  Looked to be a previous custom-done job.  Bought the mat boards yesterday, and did my first double-matted frame-up! 

I'm SO happy with how it turned out!!  Was thinking about painting the frame, but it looks like a game-worn bat.. we dig it now.

Post edited by Crew on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    edited August 2019
    SHZA said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Don't worry about the questions.  Happy to help. These were recommended by people here and they work.  You might be tempted to cut them but I think they move around if you do,  especially if your edges are precise.  Other times you have play.

https://www.amazon.com/Lineco-See-Thru-Polyester-Mounting-L533-4015M/dp/B00G0TPJEW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=lineco+mounting+strips&qid=1564764121&s=gateway&sr=8-2

You'll also need double sided framing tape if you plan to double mat. Quarter inch wide is good.  You want thin tape,  not heavy duty.  It will be at Michael's or hobby.

It looks like the mounting strips require a mounting surface larger than the print. Do you have any thoughts on a product to mount a print to a board of the same size with no mat? Maybe an acid-free double-sided tape that (supposedly) won't damage the print?
    Personally I think you'll be dead long before any acid free tape damages your print.  Be mindful that it won't come off though.  But let's be real.  I've used acid free tape to secure to a mat plenty of times.  If I remove,  I just cut the piece from the board with a x-acto or whatever and move on.  I don't try to remove it (have in the past).  It doesn't harm the print.  Maybe in the flipping world people would have a problem,  but if you're flipping, you're probably not framing often either. 
    Crew said:
    Been looking around thrift shops for a decent frame that might fit this weird-shaped print.. and finally found one!!  Looked to be a previous custom-done job.  Bought the mat boards yesterday, and did my first double-matted frame-up! 

I'm SO happy with how it turned out!!  Was thinking about painting the frame, but it looks like a game-worn bat.. we dig it now.

Definitely looks like a game bat!  Awesome job.  Did you use the Logan cutter? Nicely done. 
  • chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,430
    definitely not michaels haha. 
    How is The Great Frame up pricewise?
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    mrussel1 said:
    SHZA said:
    mrussel1 said:

Personally I think you'll be dead long before any acid free tape damages your print.  Be mindful that it won't come off though.  But let's be real.  I've used acid free tape to secure to a mat plenty of times.  If I remove,  I just cut the piece from the board with a x-acto or whatever and move on.  I don't try to remove it (have in the past).  It doesn't harm the print.  Maybe in the flipping world people would have a problem,  but if you're flipping, you're probably not framing often either. 
    Makes sense. I see that Lineco makes various acid-free tapes, I suppose those would work. Thanks for the insight.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    Crew said:

Really nice!  And I like that you tucked the tickets into the corner.  I kinda prefer that over the tickets getting their own window in the mat. =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• CrewCrew Posts: 299
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    Crew said:

Definitely looks like a game bat!  Awesome job.  Did you use the Logan cutter? Nicely done. 
    Thanks!  I used a really old "E-Z MAT" cutter by Alto (also a thrift-shop pickup)!  Once I paid attention to the blade depth, my results improved dramatically.
    on2legs said:
    Crew said:

Really nice!  And I like that you tucked the tickets into the corner.  I kinda prefer that over the tickets getting their own window in the mat. =)
    Thank you!  We were originally thinking of putting the tickets below, and a patch, and a sticker, etc.. but it just looks so much cleaner in the corner!  I attached the tickets together, and the pair to the inside of the blue mat, so they should stay put.  =)  Got the inspiration from a photo posted to the "Hard to Imagine" group's poster albums on Facebook.
    Post edited by Crew on
    So excited to get this one back from the framer!

edited August 2019
    Looks great.  My Miami is probably my favorite frame up.  It's a gorgeous print,  great representation of Miami and was the prelude to a very good show,  much better than night 1 of the tour. 
    SJD3232 said:

Damn that's beautiful
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    The Sperry is awesome 😎- one of my favorites.  Sucker is huge and cost a mint to frame but the joy I get from looking at it everyday is priceless!!!
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    NB283405 said:
    No PJ, but I'm pretty pleased with the result.
    That looks really good!  That was one of my favorite posters from the recent US tour.
    They have had some good ones this tour.  Also that show was great!!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    SJD3232 said:

That looks great!
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• definitely not michaels haha. 
    that print is 18x24...i used museum glass, larsen juhl frame, 2 acid free mats, acid free mylar strips for mounting, etc. it ran me $400. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Foil Sperry!!!!!
    thanks guys.. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  I was hoping the green matting wasn't too neon, but it ended up working.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368

DIY framing today 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited August 2019
    Simple black frame from hobby lobby (my only a/p):
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,430
    definitely not michaels haha. 
    that print is 18x24...i used museum glass, larsen juhl frame, 2 acid free mats, acid free mylar strips for mounting, etc. it ran me $400. 
    Thanks. I didnt know if they were any cheaper than Michaels
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    edited August 2019
    The materials for this frame-up ran me under $125., including Anti-Glare UV Plexi (which I bought and changed-out after taking this photo). I buy my frames when stores like Aaron Brothers (now out of business but acquired by Michaels) have big sales and then I stock up. I use acid-free foam core backing and the only mat that needs to be acid-free is the one in direct contact with the edges of the poster. I bought a great Logan mat cutter years ago with a 50% off coupon (again from Aaron Brothers) and I use only archival mounting corners and/or strips to attach the poster to the backing - NEVER tape of any kind. Like anything, you'll get better with experience and it is very satisfying (not to mention MUCH cheaper) to do your own framing. With the money you save on framing, you can buy lots more posters! Maybe give it a try.
    Post edited by shecky on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Best place to find a 12”x23” frame?  Looking to frame my 2000 Montreal.  Thanks!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......