Top Female Performer You've Seen Live

Comments

• saw a show with mary chapin carpenter and shawn colvin sharing the stage. playing each others songs and playing together
    around 2012 for mary c's ashes and roses cd
    loved the show a hellofa lot. 
    Mary Chapin Carpenter - "Chasing What's Already Gone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnzfYGNdX5s
  • in new orleans a few years back i caught erica falls
    she's awesome+
    Galactic w Erica Falls "Higher And Higher" Hollywood ArtsPark, 1-30-2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6JDGZH1fug
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    edited July 2019
    Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    edited July 2019
    g under p said:
    Peace
    ✌️to you. I’m late to the party, but here’s my list:
    Pat Benatar 
    Chrissy Hynde
    Donna Summer
    Bette Midler
    Barbra Streisand
    Marianne Faithfull
    Madonna
    Cyndi Lauper
    Tina Turner
    Ani Defranco
    Alanis Morrisette
    Natalie Merchant
    Sheryl Crow
    Sara Bareilles
    Liza Minnelli
    Margo Timmins/Cowboy Junkies
    Lucinda Williams
    Beyonce- only bcuz PJ was next
    *Cher in December 

Post edited by Renfield on
  • admìttedly I have not had the privilege of seeing live performances of the astounding talented list above but my very favorite that I did see and hear live was Eartha Kitt around 95 in Vancouver she was all that above  and more...next to her it would  be Etta James early 80s in Toronto at Albert's Hall from the hall way on the stairs at a sold out performance ..incredible vibe and with no visuals was euphoric...
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    Corin Tucker
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    edited July 2019
    admìttedly I have not had the privilege of seeing live performances of the astounding talented list above but my very favorite that I did see and hear live was Eartha Kitt around 95 in Vancouver she was all that above  and more...next to her it would  be Etta James early 80s in Toronto at Albert's Hall from the hall way on the stairs at a sold out performance ..incredible vibe and with no visuals was euphoric...
    Until I made my list, I didn’t realize how fortunate I have been to see all these female performers.
    But I’d take out quite a few to have seen Eartha & Etta! And probably switch out all for the chance to have seen Nina Simone❤️
    Post edited by Renfield on
  • Oh yes...thank  goddess you didn't have to choose...live music is such a healing and life motivating spirit cleansing experience!!
  • saw chaka khan once only and that sucks.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Seen live:
    Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies)
    Florence Welch(Florence &the Machine)
    Exene(X)
    Loreena McKennitt
    Leah Fay (July Talk)
    Metric
    Laura Jane Grace (Against Me!)

Margo and Leah are my favs so far but all been amazing except Metric, they were forgettable.

And in 11 days I'm going to see Heart, Joan Jett and Elle King......can't wait for this show.

Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Crystal Gayle
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    I forgot to add Shannon Lay.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Brandi Carlile 
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I saw Carly Rae Jepsen a few weeks back and man did she blow the roof off of the Chicago Theater. All bops.

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Mavis Staples
    Yup. She is amazing. 

Tracy Chapman was great live. 

I saw Fiona Apple in 97. She had recently had eye surgery, IIRC. She seemed quite comfortable on stage and I thought she was incredible.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    So many, but I will narrow it down to Sharon Jones and Patti Smith. I saw Sharon twice. Both times I was dog tired, but got completely energized watching her saying fuck you to cancer and just dancing and singing her ass off. Got to get on stage and dance with her, along with a bunch of other folks, at a Fillmore show. I've seen Patti twice, but the most memorable was when she played at a book fair in San Francisco. She played in a small area with just her and a guitarist. It was like I was seeing her in someone's large living room and there was a window behind her with the outside rain streaming down.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • tusevuntusevun Posts: 217
    Right now it is Marry Queen
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I saw Tedeschi Trucks Band in June and Susan Tedeschi (lead singer) kills it every time! 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Just saw Rhiannon Giddens a few months back. Unbelievable. She played a small venue in Ennis of all places. Apparently she's been living in Ireland for a couple of years. Even sends her kids to an Irish speaking school.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    So Sinead O'Connor is playing her first show in 4 years. Happens to be a small venue in the city I live. Capacity of the place is about 250 people. She's been an absolute train wreck the last few years. Most of that due to mental health issues unfortunately. Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning. I'm debating whether to go or not. My wife (who is Irish) has no desire. I'll probably pull the trigger and go. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Brandi Carlile
    Erika Wennerstrom
    Lucius
    Sleater Kinney
    Norah Jones
    Jenny Lewis
    Sharon Jones
    Amanda Shires

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    mfc2006 said:
    Brandi Carlile
    Erika Wennerstrom
    Lucius
    Sleater Kinney
    Norah Jones
    Jenny Lewis
    Sharon Jones
    Amanda Shires

I love me some Erika Wennerstrom (thanks to you, Matt) and Amanda Shires. Both great musicians. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Patti Smith
    Smoke Fairies
    Omara Portuondo
    Madeleine Peyroux
    Esperanza Spalding
    Lizz Wright
    Sophie Hunger
    Irene Skylakaki
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    wife and I went to see Storm Large and The Balls in a small theatre here shortly after the Rock Star Supernova reality show. As ridiculous as it seemed, she put on a great freaking show, and we both knew her touring career would likely not last long. And it was $5. why the hell not?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Gwen Stefani was absolutely amazing with No Doubt CIRCE 95/96

Taylor Swift was really good, but saw her early as a teenie bopper so her photomontage was lame.  She sounded great though and was a great story teller

Blonde Redhead was cool

The women in YANNI'S VOICES Leslie Mills and. Chloe Lowery were flat out unreal.

I would LOVE to see Mazzy Star

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hrd2imgn said:

Taylor Swift was really good, but saw her early as a teenie bopper so her photomontage was lame.  She sounded great though and was a great story teller

Blonde Redhead was cool

The women in YANNI'S VOICES Leslie Mills and. Chloe Lowery were flat out unreal.

wife and I were having a lark last weekend watching random videos from the 90's, and came across some No Doubt, and man, those live shows she looked INTENSE
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    I saw Alanis in '96 - and she killed it.
    Sarah McLachlan
    Evanescence puts on a helluva show...
    The Beaches (Canadian band)

I really need to up my female artist game..
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    hrd2imgn said:

Blonde Redhead was cool

wife and I were having a lark last weekend watching random videos from the 90's, and came across some No Doubt, and man, those live shows she looked INTENSE
    She dominated that stage, she made you notice her.  As good a front musician out there.  Ton of energy, great smile, moves around and interacts.  Now she does dance a lot, that puts her on par with maybe Axl Rose and Mick Haha
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    The three female led bands that come immediately to mind that I have seen are Siouxie and the Banshees, Hole, and Sinead O'Conner. I also saw the Cowboy Junkies, and the lead singer for them has an amazing voice. I will have to look back in my ticket collection to see if there are any others
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    saw a show with mary chapin carpenter and shawn colvin sharing the stage. playing each others songs and playing together
    around 2012 for mary c's ashes and roses cd
    loved the show a hellofa lot. 
    Mary Chapin Carpenter - "Chasing What's Already Gone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnzfYGNdX5s
    I lived in Shawn Colvin's old apartment in the 1990s. I think she was a few tenants before me. The only reason I knew that was once in a while she got mail delivered there. One time I opened one of the envelopes by accident - since it was mixed in with my mail and it was a royalty check for $15,000. I returned to sender with a note that she didn't live at that address anymore.