Options

psssst....time to upgrade the server

pjg67pjg67 Posts: 39
perhaps it is rocket science...but come on MAN !

Comments

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    +1
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496

F'n A.

Maybe use that money they're going to save by not pressing the fan club singles anymore & put it towards upgrading the shop?

If something's in your cart, it shouldn't go to someone else. I'm no computer whiz, but I can't imagine that's a difficult thing to implement... at least not in 2019.

• Options
    CrackSkullCrackSkull Montreal Posts: 34
    Would be nice
  • Options

F'n A.

Maybe use that money they're going to save by not pressing the fan club singles anymore & put it towards upgrading the shop?

If something's in your cart, it shouldn't go to someone else. I'm no computer whiz, but I can't imagine that's a difficult thing to implement... at least not in 2019.

BK is basically the only one who has that system in the poster game
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

F'n A.

Well hes the only one doing things right then as far as im concerned.
  • Options

F'n A.

Well hes the only one doing things right then as far as im concerned.
    I concur 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    RT85129RT85129 Posts: 179
    Completely agree with this.  Today was insanity and a bad customer experience. 
  • Options
    It sucks... I spend a good 30 minutes at work refreshing and got shut out....BUT...

99.9% of the time the servers are good enough. They only crash like this during poster time, and even with the crashes they still sell out. It makes good business sense to keep things the way they are. Why spend the money on server upgrades that they would only utilize a few times a year. 

Being able to keep an item in your cart, on the other hand, would solve a lot of problems and should be a pretty easy fix.
  • Options
    StevieG73StevieG73 Dublin, Ireland and New Brunswick, Canada Posts: 443
    Why would they upgrade their server?  It's doing what it's supposed to do....sell their merchandise.  Sure, the transactions are not the smoothest....but that's life.  If there were 1000 posters available today and they sold 1000...it means 1000 people got one.  By requesting them to get a new server....that implies that the 'right' people didn't get one.
    2000 = Montreal 
    2003 = Montreal
    2005 = Halifax, St. John's Night 1
    2008 = NYC Night 1, 
    2010 = Boston
    2011 = EV - Boston, PJ20 Night 1&2, Toronto
    2012 = EV - Orlando Night 1&2
    2013 = Chicago, Worcester Night 1
    2016 = Boston '16
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Well, if by "right" you mean people who had them in their basket, then yes, some of the "right" people apparently didn't get them. And if the server is overloaded, it shouldn't be a massive undertaking to scale. The servers are on Amazon's cloud, so not physical servers. There are various ways of scaling on demand to increase resources when needed, and decrease resources when appropriate. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    StevieG73StevieG73 Dublin, Ireland and New Brunswick, Canada Posts: 443
    jeffbr said:
    Well, if by "right" you mean people who had them in their basket, then yes, some of the "right" people apparently didn't get them. And if the server is overloaded, it shouldn't be a massive undertaking to scale. The servers are on Amazon's cloud, so not physical servers. There are various ways of scaling on demand to increase resources when needed, and decrease resources when appropriate. 
    I may be wrong, but I believe while some people were posting that they had them in their carts and were frozen at checkout...others were able to get the transaction pushed through...I think there are other factors that may be out of the ten club's control.
    2000 = Montreal 
    2003 = Montreal
    2005 = Halifax, St. John's Night 1
    2008 = NYC Night 1, 
    2010 = Boston
    2011 = EV - Boston, PJ20 Night 1&2, Toronto
    2012 = EV - Orlando Night 1&2
    2013 = Chicago, Worcester Night 1
    2016 = Boston '16
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    StevieG73 said:
    jeffbr said:
    I may be wrong, but I believe while some people were posting that they had them in their carts and were frozen at checkout...others were able to get the transaction pushed through...I think there are other factors that may be out of the ten club's control.
    You could be right. I just think the server was taxed, and people had the poster in their cart, were stuck there, and in the meantime others swooped in and scored. A server with appropriate capacity (or a loadbalanced cluster of them) would likely have been able to process the orders as they were placed, and it would have been more traditional first come first served rather than luck of the draw in regards to whether your cart cleared the purchase process.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    jeffbr said:
    The problem is I’m sure a lot more had them in their basket than were actually available.
    It creates this illusion that far more people got screwed by the system than actually did.
    It would have to be some timer system like when buying tickets on TM or something. And that’s probably way more effort for just 2 or 3 items a year that this happens to.
    Even without the crash, there may only be 200 posters and 1000 people added them to their cart, the last 800 would get the sold out error when doing the checkout.

*disclaimer: I really have no idea how things like this work. But it makes sense to me if it works like that.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    Or the less costly option: make the drops more random than M-F between 7 and 730AM Pacific. 
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    For those bitching about ticket lottery: this is how ticket sales used to work too...
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Even TM gets slow during a big sale. It's painful on 10c at times, but only at very random times. Now that there is a lottery for tickets, we'll just have to deal with the poster buying issues. 
    If I were to change anything, I would get rid of outside merch- where anybody, attending the show or not, can purchase merch. Or like many have said, have a poster buying option with your lottery tickets.

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,435
    Restaurants are crowded on mother's day and Valentine's day, but it isn't prudent to expand the size of a restaurant just to satisfy the demand that occurs a few times a year.
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Restaurants are crowded on mother's day and Valentine's day, but it isn't prudent to expand the size of a restaurant just to satisfy the demand that occurs a few times a year.
    I like that analogy, it makes sense. They aren't Amazon, no need for crazy servers. It's likely the multiple checks they have to do throughout the process too, could be out of their control. Calls to find shipping prices based on location, checking credit card details, etc.