Options

Gomez

muiren77muiren77 Posts: 3,511
edited November 2008 in Other Music
i've been listening to their song "see the world" lately...so, are they any good?
what is essential is invisible to the eye

apparently, 07162056 is THE date...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Are incredible. Ben Ottwell's voice has been compared to Eddie Vedder, Tom Waites and other singers with similar grovel voices. His vocals along with Tom Grey's are sublime.
    If you like kind of swampy blues with slide guitars, indie pop and some epic rock very similar to Pearl Jam, you can't go wrong with Gomez.

I recommend them.
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun - W.H. Auden
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    muiren77 wrote:
    i've been listening to their song "see the world" lately...so, are they any good?

I have the whole cd that this song is from and I love it. It is one that I have to play from beginning to end though. It's just that good. :)
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I love Gomez.
    Yes, Gomez is awesome.
    :)
    One of my fave songs from Gomez:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPs9BsJPEcQ&feature=related
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    I'd say Split the Difference is their best album... it's just so like raw at the beginning and just gets so elegant... especially with Sweet Virginia into Catch Me Up... just lovely. Really awesome live act as well.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    I'd say Split the Difference is their best album... it's just so like raw at the beginning and just gets so elegant... especially with Sweet Virginia into Catch Me Up... just lovely. Really awesome live act as well.

That's a great twosome. I prefer In Our Gun overall. Haven't seen them live. Want to, but the ticket prices always seem to run a little high. How We Operate might be my least favorite album, but still good stuff. I'd also recommend the first, Bring It On.
    Favorite song: We Haven't Turned Around from Liquid Skin.
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    They've been in my top three for about 7 years now.

A band whos B-sides (many) are just as good if not better than their albums.

having said that, "In Our Gun" fits into my all time top ten list

If you need any reccomendations i'd be happy to help

note: they are just about done with the new album:)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I bought a Gomez album years ago, it was pretty good as I recall,I have no idea what it was called.

*note to self....dig out Gomez lp and spin it again*
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    I like the album Liquid Skin. 'We haven't turned around' is my favourite song.
    You should check it out!
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Options

Agreed....great album....this is the one that got me into them in the first place. I haven't had a chance to catch them live yet and have heard very little about how they are live. Anybody see them?
    Gonna rise up....burning black holes in dark memories. Gonna rise up....turning mistakes into gold.
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    M.G wrote:
    I like the album Liquid Skin. 'We haven't turned around' is my favourite song.
    You should check it out!

that's the one I've got....thanks for the reminder :D
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    jamie uk wrote:
    that's the one I've got....thanks for the reminder :D

I thought it was mandatory to own all Gomez albums if you live in the UK. :)
  • Options
    thanks for the input guys:)...will definitely check out the record stores here...i think i'll start with the album how we operate...hope i can find one here...

• Options
    allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    Gomez is great! Any news on what they are up to these days? It has been almost three years since How We Operate. I'd love to see them live again.
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I have How We Operate! Love the album! :)
    I can see myself picking up another album by them shortly!
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    MKButler wrote:
    Agreed....great album....this is the one that got me into them in the first place. I haven't had a chance to catch them live yet and have heard very little about how they are live. Anybody see them?

17 times..heh. Kick ass live show. Very dynamic. 3 lead singers and Olly peacock is possibly the best live drummer I've heard.

How We operate is a solid record but it trails off at the end. It's their 5th album so i wouldn't say it's really exemplary of their work but every record is pretty different so wherever you decide to start should be good. I'd actually recommend Abandonned Shoppong Trolly which is a 2 disc b-sides collection but f'n briliant.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Bring It On is a classic. Liquid Skin was on of my first cd's culled in a clear out last year, studentish indie, trite and recycled imo. The guy shouting "Blue Moon Rising" in a Cookie-Monster voice is embarrasingly memorable.
  • Options
    i went out of town last week for a seminar, while there i went looking for a cd of gomez...unfortunately, it's not available there...record stores in our country are pretty lame :(
    since it's not available in a bigger and more progressive city where i went to, then i think it's not also available here since our city is smaller and less progressive than the other one...this really sucks since i was really looking forward to having a copy of how we operate...

• Options
    According to their website, they have a new album on slate for early 2009! Hooray!
  • Options
    allornone wrote:
    According to their website, they have a new album on slate for early 2009! Hooray!

too bad, i am pretty sure it won't reach our shores...:(

• Options
    muiren77 wrote:
    too bad, i am pretty sure it won't reach our shores...:(

I find play.com a good site. Perhaps there's a good internet site where you can order CDs from.

Where I am there are no record shops so I often rely on the net.
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun - W.H. Auden
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,945
    edited July 2019
    Great band. Haven't seen them since the 10th anniversary tour of BiO. Hopefully they come back for a Liquid Skin 20th. Tremendous discography. Loving the outtakes they put on these 20th reissues.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    I liked them in 2009 and 2010... but man... how does this band survive. How big is their fanbase?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
     @dimitrispearljam is a huge fan :lol::wink: (kidding he hates them)

Only song i know from them is "How We Operate" which i like

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
     @dimitrispearljam is a huge fan :lol::wink: (kidding he hates them)

Only song i know from them is "How We Operate" which i like

Give the two albums In Our Gun and Liquid Skin a try